Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
Yet here we are, with Apple having many millions of repeat customers, willing to open their wallets and purchase outstanding and premium-priced products and services, year after year after year, enabling Apple to enjoy the success and recognition it today enjoys.

Many of these 'repeat' customers are actually on things like contracts or are corporations rather than individuals. Also consider that many traditional PC manufacturers exited the market in the last decade which boosted sales of the remaining few.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
As ‘The One Device’ by Brian Merchant told us the iPhone was never a singular idea from a single person but it took Steve’s drive and design ethics to push it through Apple.

I can’t remember feeling particularly sad about any other celebrity death but I’ll always remember where I was and how shocked I was when Steve died.

It also took Apple's previous partnering with Motorola developing the Rokr to come up to speed in the cellular telecom world, on a variety of technical fronts, in order to gain the expertise to design the iPhone. Without that previous relationship with a (then) telecom industry giant, the iPhone would likely never have happened. That was an extremely shrewd move by Jobs engaging with Motorola on the Rokr.
[automerge]1570284236[/automerge]
As Steve himself pointed out lifting your arm up to point at the screen of an iMac or MacBook is tiring for long periods of time and terribly unergonomic.
If you’re only going to do it a few times an hour you may as well not bother at all.

Bingo!

Last edited:
Reactions: geenosr

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
It also took Apple's previous partnering with Motorola developing the ROKR to come up to speed in the cellular telecom world, on a variety of fronts, in order to design the iPhone. Without that relationship it never would have happened.
[automerge]1570284236[/automerge]

Bingo!
You haven’t read The One Device then?

The desire to make a cellphone and the technology behind it was gestating at Apple years before the ROKR.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
These people don't care about Apple or Steve Jobs. They are just riding on the coat tails of history. Here's the evidence.

Apple under Steve Jobs
Laptops and desktops as fast or faster than PCs
Laptops and desktops becoming more affordable and competitively priced
OS X faster and more bug free than Windows
Bugs fixed quickly
Updates to Power Mac/Mac Pro regularly
Operating systems not called 'GM' when they are rough beta
Wide choice of industry standard and third party hardware upgrades
Slower and high quality release cycles
Industry standard graphics APIs with similar performance as PCs
Serve users first and then shareholders

Apple after Steve Jobs
Throttling **** badly designed laptops
T2 disaster controller /sound chip with bugs that Apple won't even acknowledge
macOS slower than Windows in every possible way
Bugs fixed after 10000 complaints from users
Almost impossible to upgrade anything
Much slower graphics APIs and GPU performance than PCs
New operating systems released in poor condition
Updates to Mac Pro after 6 years and it is massively slow crap compared to even a $2000 PC
Apps and services worse than the competition
Serve shareholders first and screw users

They won't change until we stop buying. The problem isn't just Apple. The tech industry is abusive. They don't care if their services make life expensive and hard for common working people. If Uber slows traffics and increases pollution or if AirBNB or WeWork makes rent unaffordable, they don't give a damn. They just want to fill their pockets up. Then politicians see the tech industry getting away with these abuses and think....hey we can do that too.
Stop buying Apple products? Who? You’re more than welcome. my family and I like their products.

But you forgot one item for Apple after serve Jobs. $1t. That’s a measure of success that I think many critics find it hard to swallow.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
doubtful! His presence will never be forgotten always remembered. Tim Cooks JOB his ONLY Job is to ensure his legacy never aulters!

2019:
Horrible & ongoing MBP Laptop Keyboard issues!
Siri still barely able to keep up on innovative advancements vs younger competitors from the biggest competitors Apple has and Apple led this space!
iphone 11 Pro - we got a very good 3rd camera but barely an improvement over the XS.
iOS 13 ... 4 updates in 10 days ... what is going on Craig F? Wtf!?
This is just to name a few things.

... and yet this late September Apple has the gaul to state “innovation”?!

Microsoft ... steady and continuously is KILLING IT! Yes I’m aware this is the tit-for-tat, the Ying & Yang that every few years Apple leads the industry then its Microsoft.

yet this October’s announcement ... even while ignoring the Neo and the larger/smaller phone/tablet announcements ... yet ...

80% charged in 1 hour in a 15” laptop!
Quick n rapid access components within serviceability!
Proper keyboard!
No rubber seal around the screen & hopefully no issues with key impressions on the screen from closure(?)
The latest processors with every version.
* Apple why does the 13” MB “PROOOOO” still only have the Intel Iris GPU?! Not all your customers want 15” when fully portable!

And ... no repeateded BS slogans and made up words every damn keynote “the best <insert product name> we’ve ever made” (morons you’re the ONLY company that makes this product!), “this is just blowaway” (not a damn word!), “you’re going to love this” (you would hope so). This is insulting especially from a company who has 3 product services that emphasizes literature!! Anyone else feels like an idiot with the first two phrases above?!

Apple where is the real innovation or creativity?! Time to spend at least half a million for a TRULY independent look into your company processes how your employees feel about management, colleagues, direction services, HR being FULLY independent from board members, CEO, and executives (recall ongoing and recent issues with Googles brass?!).

I like Apple’s synergy between theirproducts n services yet there is such huge misses that continue before launching new ones. Such as iMessage/SMS on Watch ... when I delete on Watch or iPhone or on macOS why the HELL is it NOT sync’d between the two?!

why still no macOS on a touchscreen?! If the Surface Pro 7 has Thunderbolt you’re going to see a LOT of corporations potentially support that product vs your Macs which have always had issues.

speaking about Thunderbolt ... when docked to a screen or your wireless keyboards why can I NOT power on the laptop without having to open the laptop lid a minimum 45%?! Arrgh!
For the very first time in 12yrs I’m heavily considering another laptop and forgoing getting iPad Pro that I’ve always wanted.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying particularly about the Mac but the Surface Pro 7 doesn't have Thunderbolt 3 it just has the USB type C port with not TB3 support.

That is pretty much my issue with the Surface stuff, some nice hardware, interesting form factors but some strange omissions and I/O choices.

As Steve himself pointed out lifting your arm up to point at the screen of an iMac or MacBook is tiring for long periods of time and terribly unergonomic.
If you’re only going to do it a few times an hour you may as well not bother at all.

Thats a terrible explanation if you're going to put out an iPad Pro with keyboard which creates exactly the same situation.

Like the big phone thing Jobs was wrong on this.

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
Stop buying Apple products? Who? You’re more than welcome. my family and I like their products.

You like the user friendliness. You can't honestly say to us long term users that you like being shafted with bugs, poor designs, throttling, increasing profit margins, slow GPU performance. You said yourself 'My family and I'. Home user with disposable income. Users like you don't experience the downsides. You are not one of the hardcore users who demand better.

Eliott69

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2019
The thing about Jobs was that he was capable of enabling other people to excel.

Cook is not that kind of personality or he would have let go of Ive after Jobs death. Ive is the prime example of a personality who is nothing without a mentor and challenger – which Cook obviously isn't.

In my opinion Ive ruined Apple, which was not his fault but Cook's of course. I sincerely hope that behind the scenes he was fired by Cook –realising the damage Ive had done, and that this now will change something at Apple.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
You like the user friendliness. You can't honestly say to us long term users that you like being shafted with bugs, poor designs, throttling, increasing profit margins, slow GPU performance. You said yourself 'My family and I'. Home user with disposable income. Users like you don't experience the downsides. You are not one of the hardcore users who demand better.

As a hardcore user, are you going to vote with your wallet and instead purchase computers/devices from other manufacturers?
[automerge]1570285312[/automerge]
Thats a terrible explanation if you're going to put out an iPad Pro with keyboard which creates exactly the same situation.

You cleverly (and perhaps disingenuously) left out the words "optional and detachable" before the word "keyboard."

Last edited:
Reactions: GuruZac and Dj64Mk7

Bboble

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
California
It would be about where it is today.

With a 7.9", 10.2", 10.5", 11", and 12.9" iPad lineup!? Respectfully, I doubt it. Steve fixed Apple's bloated lineup when he came back to Apple in the '90s to make it is what it is today. While much of Steve undoubtably lives on in the company, Apple was not prepared to loose such an influenctial individual prematurely.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I do like the user friendliness. As far as bugs, I use windows also...need I say more? But I'll say, what bugs, what throttling, what poor designs? Who cares about profit margins? You can cherry pick what you want, but whether I'm hardcore or not, I spend my money the way it benefits me most.

As far as "users like me", just admit you don't know about a general term like "users like me" means. Seems like you just put a bunch of talking points in a post.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
With a 7.9", 10.2", 10.5", 11", and 12.9" iPad lineup!? Respectfully, I doubt it. Steve fixed Apple's bloated lineup when he came back to Apple in the '90s to make it is what it is today. While much of Steve undoubtably lives on in the company, Apple was not prepared to loose such an influenctial individual prematurely.

Jobs came back when Apple was in the dumps and turned it around. Key was cancelling contracts that allowed other manufacturers to manufacture clone computers that ran MacOS. Jobs also paired down its own product offerings; smart due to Apple's poor health.

Despite giving customers more choices today, Apple is extremely successful, likely far beyond Jobs' dreams, and far far from a company that's failing.

Just because a strategy worked to partially help turn a failing Apple around in the mid-1990s, does not mean that Apple today with more product choices at a range of price points to attract a wider audience, is a bad thing.

Last edited:

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
What if Steve were still alive;
- iPhone 11 wouldn't exist. iPhone 11 Pro would be iPhone 11.
- iPhone 11 (i.e. iPhone 11 Pro) would be $649.
- iPhone 11 Max (i.e., iPhone 11 Pro Max) would be $649. Steve thought the smaller phones were more difficult to be made.
- No ugly camera bump.
- I wouldn't sleep during the keynotes.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not at all. He was just following Steve's roadmap. If a genius gave you a list of things to do to become a billionaire and you execute them, its more to do with the genius and not you.
Yeah, it's the old "1000 monkeys could do the same job as you" misconception. Bigger phones, homepod, airpods, apple pay, apple news etc. we know all were on Steve's roadmap. Steve communicated them to Tim and Tim just executed them. Yep you're right. /s

However, in a certain sense it's irrelevant as Apple today is very successful. Tim has reaped the financial rewards of following Steve's advice, through the ether.

So if it makes Tims' critics feel better to know Tim isn't the genius portrayed as he is just a lackey following orders, than y'all go for it.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
When Steve Jobs was running Apple:
  • He’s an arrogant jerk.
  • He berated employees and is difficult to work with.
  • He abandoned his daughter.
  • He takes credit for others work.

When Steve Jobs passed away and Cook took over:
  • He was a visionary.
  • He understood where technology was going.
  • Apple wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Steve.
The only thing consistent is the ability for people to always look for the negative. As long as they can somehow bash Apple.
[automerge]1570288119[/automerge]
Not at all. He was just following Steve's roadmap. If a genius gave you a list of things to do to become a billionaire and you execute them, its more to do with the genius and not you.
If it was that simple then why don’t all companies just follow Steve? Why can’t anyone else clone Apples success?

For example, Hyundai copied the Toyota Production System (TPS) for building cars. Completely turned that company around from the utter trash they built in the 80’s.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland

It was obvious early on with all the absent days and months, the secretiveness around his health-issues, that he wasn't going to be around forever.

He himself knew better than anyone else that he was literally living on borrowed time, bought by sequencing the DNA of his cancer and variating the medical cocktail each time it mutated - until that no longer worked.

His death was a surprise and a shock to all of us - but Apple was prepared, at least from a technical point of view.

Steve was the right man at the right time, doing mostly right things.
But I still believe Tim Cook is the right man for this time, too.

Apple is an economy of its own, it would be ranked somewhere in the 40s-ranks here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
Nation states almost treat it as a peer (as they do other companies like MSFT, GOOG and AMAZN)!

I think Apple only started to have a significant lobbying-budget after Tim took over (and even he was reluctant).

Sometimes, it looks like the only line of communication between China and the US that always stays open is through Tim. Steve would never have been able to maintain the patience for that (that may have been a side-effect of living on borrowed time and knowing it - you probably lose patience for time-wasters at that point).

It takes different personalities to found a company, to make it grow, to bring it through crisis and to grow it to truly global scale (and keep it there). Steve as able to adapt himself so that he could lead Apple to through some of those phases - but I really struggle to see that he would have had the patience to adapt himself one more time for the current situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.