24" Cinema Display Desk Setups

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FortyTwo, Dec 27, 2008.

1. FortyTwo macrumors newbie

Anyone want to post pics of their desk setups with the 24" display and Macbook? I'm trying to decide on mine now. I don't like my Macbook sitting on top of the ACD base, just the sound of the metals touching makes me cringe.

I'd like to see what you guys have going on. Thanks!

2. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I have my MBP sitting on the base. I put the screen cleaning cloth under it so that it doesn't get scratched. I'll take a pic later today.

3. djaveragejoe macrumors newbie

djaveragejoe

Here's my set-up. My MB is in the small shelf under the desk. That's also where I keep my keyboard and mouse when not in use.

[​IMG]

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

5. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

sorry for the blurriness, took it from my cellphone camera.

Apple LED ACD
    Macbook Air 1.86
    Ipod Touch 2nd gen 16GB
    Shure SE530 headphones
    Bluetooth keyboard

Attached Files:

6. timestoby macrumors 6502

7. MacAlpha macrumors regular

I have the same set up as jjahshik32. MBP to the left on a an mStand. Wired Apple keyboard and wireless mighty mouse. Keyboard and iPod docking station is plugged into the monitor.

8. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

question, how do you make the LED the primary screen, and how do you use two different wallpapers for the two displays?

9. MacAlpha macrumors regular

To make the LED the primary display. Go to System Preferences, then Display. Click on Arrangement and it will show the two displays. Move the displays around so that the laptop and the LED are in the correct orientation. Then drag the menu bar at the top of the laptop display to the LED display.

To change the wallpaper, just call up the Desktop & Screensaver preferences pane and if you have both displays connected, one pane will show up on each display. You can separately use the two panes to pick the separate wallpapers.

10. klempwrsu macrumors member

klempwrsu

System Preferences takes care of both of those tasks.

To make the 24" the main screen, go to: preferences, displays, arrangement, drag the menu bar from the small screen to the large screen (if you are in mirror mode, disable it before this step)

To make two different backgrounds, go to: Preferences, Desktop and Screensaver. From there, two windows should come up, one on the LED, and one on the macbook to select each background individually.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wow. I am not so fond of a 24" glossy screen, but dang those displays do look rather nice. They're sure growing on me.

12. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Man I am soooo jealous of all of you, I am planning on buying one of those as soon as I buy the new MacBooks.

ChrisN

13. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

Thanks guys

14. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I have essentially the same setup with the MB to the right of the LED. I'm going to need to look into that mStand. Are there others as well?

These desks are too neat -- clearly you don't work from home on these!

One question: For those of you that do extended desktop and have desktop icons on the LED. When you disconnect and go mobile to the icons figure out that they need to relocate to the MB in the correct location? Mine are gone...
    (Not trying to hijack -- sorry OP).

15. MacAlpha macrumors regular

The other stand to look at is the Griffin Elevator (it is the stand that avalys has in his photo). When I looked at the two, I chose the mStand, both were good though.

To answer your other question, my icons relocate properly when I unplug the LED (however, I like an uncluttered desktop so my desktop only has the drives and one or two other temporary things that I am working on at a time).

16. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I really do like the look of these monitors however I'm not sure I want to give up my Dell monitor just yet.

17. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Hmm -- very odd. Mine don't seem to relocate. When I rebooted (or logged off today) to install the camera update from a week or so ago, they did reposition.

I have about 4-5 things that are "latest projects" -- I don't usually have the drives on unless it is a mobile drive of some sort.

Thanks for the tip on the stands.

18. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Why does your monitor look so low to the desk?

ChrisN

19. ant043 macrumors regular

sorry about the quality its taken from an iphone.

Attached Files:

20. Revival Cr8tive macrumors member

Great Thread...

Keep the pictures coming... I need to tidy my desk before I sumit! Love seeing other setups though!

21. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

This is mine, bought the display last night and I love it

[​IMG]

I need a new desk now though, I had another desk which I preferred, unfortunately it had a shelf on it that the display wouldn't fit under, my 20" iMac only just fit.

Any recommendations please let me know, I would like one with a shelf above the screen (or below provided the I/O and SuperDrive were accessible) for the MBP to sit on but I doubt I'll find out that'll fit the display. Unfortunately I also don't have much room, about 80cm wide

22. bobdard macrumors regular

Here's my setup:

2.0GHz MacBook w/ 160GB HDD and 4GB RAM
    24" LED ACD
    Bose Companion 5 Speakers
    Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
    500GB Time Capsule
    16GB 1st Gen. iPhone
    Shure SE210 Earphones
    1GB iPod Shuffle

Other:
    Alpine White BMW M3 Coupé
    Pewter Grey Audi R8
    Crystal Blue BMW 135i Coupé

Attached Files:

23. bobdard macrumors regular

I'm going to say from all the ones posted you have the nicest-looking setup; very neat and a nice contrast of colours or something... I don't know what it is; it just looks amazing!

24. kallemia macrumors member

kallemia

Nice VESA mount and cable chase, if that's what it is.