250 new features, but how many are useful?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by TheJing, Jul 23, 2011.

1. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Don't get me wrong, I like Lion. But in all honesty it isn't very different from SL.

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's a reason why its been called and still called "OS X".

3. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It depends on the usage type. Lion is certainly even better on a Laptop than on a big screen desktop. Features like Full screen and launchpad, plus the multitouch gestures really take off on a laptop. Having said that, I believe that Lion is great even on my Mac Pro, despite the fact that I don't use Launchpad and full screen apps on my Cinema Display.
    For everything else I suggest you read Ars Technica's review: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars

4. Branskins macrumors 65816

Name me one feature that someone would not find useful

5. rxl125 macrumors regular

I found it useful that Wifi worked under Snow Leopard but is a MAJOR problem for wifi users in lion... Lion was not ready for prime time.

6. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

WiFi works ok here. Maybe you should try not to generalize judging by issues your Lion installation is having.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Launch Pad. An exercise in branding and not much more.

The most useful features I found in Lion were the options to make things more Snow Leopard-like.

8. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

9. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

250± I have yet to find an unuseful feature. And, I have not had any wifi problems.

10. stevemiller, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011

stevemiller macrumors 65816

there is some stuff that i like, but there are plenty of things that could irk people. for example:

-"natural" scrolling upends decades of learned computer behaviour, confusing new users and benefitting only better consistency with touchscreen products.

-launchpad is a pretty interface but is in no way more efficient than putting commonly used apps on your dock and using spotlight (or better app launchers)

-a lot of people miss having more control of the arrangement of their spaces, so mission control for them would be a definite step backwards in utility

some people will like features, other people won't. accept it, and figure out what works best for you, rather than trying to convince other people that your opinion is the only right answer.

11. applefan289 macrumors 68000

12. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Lion seems to have FAR more new features than Snow Leopard...some I will use in my day to day work/life and some I will just either disable or ignore but overall, I really like the upgrade...

13. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I think Launch Pad is useful, but only to new converts to OS X that came from iOS. To regular Mac users, it's not something we're going to be using, at least I'm not.

I do love the added gestures, full screen apps (not that full screen on a large HDTV is a big deal, but being able to switch between full screen apps with a flick is great), I LOVE Mission Control combining Spaces and Expose, it's fantastic. Those features alone make my experience must faster and easier to use.

And I love the new Mail app, it's fantastic. The first Mail app that made it worthwhile for me to stop using Gmail in a browser.

14. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. Useful is subjective. As you said, "some people will like features, other people won't.". I think that was his point.

And rather than you saying Launchpad is no more efficient than the dock and spotlight.. Some people prefer Launchpad, stop trying to convince other people that your opinion is the only right answer.

15. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i don't get it, LOTS of good stuff.

launchpad, once you organize you apps, is great. (i put all my extra apps in folders on a second page). so my default is my primary apps. swipe, click, and i'm on to work...

mission control is great (EXCEPT we need to be able to re-order & PIN windows from the mission control screen).

mail, which i am getting used to, is great. (made a favorites bar with all my folders in sub-folders, so very neat, and easy to access); and address book pictures next to the email list is really nice.

all kinds of good under-the-hood stuff.

am looking forward to tweaks, fixes, fine-tuning over time from apple. but lion is what it is: the new system, and, over time, will become essential (the way previous systems have been for most of us).

16. fsu06 macrumors newbie

I've been using macs for over a decade and I find launchpad quite useful. It's certainly nicer than having a dock with 500000 applications on it. One gesture and you have access to all your applications, with 0 clutter. If someone has so many apps as to render it useless.. they might want to clean up their computer a bit.

Use on a desktop (with a mouse) might be a bit different.

17. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I'm using WiFi on 3 Macs that are running Lion and haven't had issues with any of them.

18. waynep macrumors 6502

Resume just saved me a lot of work! I accidentally hit cmd-q instead of cmd-a without having saved the doc for an hour or so. Restarted Pages and my doc was intact!

19. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I also really like AirDrop as a convenient way to get things transferred between my MBP and MBA...very fast (surprisingly)...

20. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Bootcamp. :D

21. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i'm not sure what we're arguing over. my point was that people could just as validly dislike some of the changes as they could validly like them.

22. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I swear, we need to have a list of ALL the new features. User-submitted of course.

23. Branskins macrumors 65816

Lol okay you got me!

To the other person: my point was that because you don't like something does not mean someone else won't find it useful. You might not see a point in launchpad but tons of people do! I for one like the organization.

It is very subjective, so a statement saying something is not useful can be insensitive to those that do find it useful.