Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's a reason why its been called and still called "OS X".

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
It depends on the usage type. Lion is certainly even better on a Laptop than on a big screen desktop. Features like Full screen and launchpad, plus the multitouch gestures really take off on a laptop. Having said that, I believe that Lion is great even on my Mac Pro, despite the fact that I don't use Launchpad and full screen apps on my Cinema Display.
For everything else I suggest you read Ars Technica's review: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars

rxl125

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
I found it useful that Wifi worked under Snow Leopard but is a MAJOR problem for wifi users in lion... Lion was not ready for prime time.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I found it useful that Wifi worked under Snow Leopard but is a MAJOR problem for wifi users in lion... Lion was not ready for prime time.

WiFi works ok here. Maybe you should try not to generalize judging by issues your Lion installation is having.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Name me one feature that someone would not find useful

Launch Pad. An exercise in branding and not much more.

The most useful features I found in Lion were the options to make things more Snow Leopard-like.

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010

Attachments

• Lion-Security.png
    Lion-Security.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 91

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Name me one feature that someone would not find useful

there is some stuff that i like, but there are plenty of things that could irk people. for example:

-"natural" scrolling upends decades of learned computer behaviour, confusing new users and benefitting only better consistency with touchscreen products.

-launchpad is a pretty interface but is in no way more efficient than putting commonly used apps on your dock and using spotlight (or better app launchers)

-a lot of people miss having more control of the arrangement of their spaces, so mission control for them would be a definite step backwards in utility

some people will like features, other people won't. accept it, and figure out what works best for you, rather than trying to convince other people that your opinion is the only right answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Lion seems to have FAR more new features than Snow Leopard...some I will use in my day to day work/life and some I will just either disable or ignore but overall, I really like the upgrade...

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Launch Pad. An exercise in branding and not much more.

I think Launch Pad is useful, but only to new converts to OS X that came from iOS. To regular Mac users, it's not something we're going to be using, at least I'm not.

I do love the added gestures, full screen apps (not that full screen on a large HDTV is a big deal, but being able to switch between full screen apps with a flick is great), I LOVE Mission Control combining Spaces and Expose, it's fantastic. Those features alone make my experience must faster and easier to use.

And I love the new Mail app, it's fantastic. The first Mail app that made it worthwhile for me to stop using Gmail in a browser.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
c'mon are you 12? is your dad better than all the other dads? there is some stuff that i like, but there are plenty of things that could irk people. for example:

-"natural" scrolling upends decades of learned computer behaviour, confusing new users and benefitting only better consistency with touchscreen products.

-launchpad is a pretty interface but is in no way more efficient than putting commonly used apps on your dock and using spotlight (or better app launchers)

-a lot of people miss having more control of the arrangement of their spaces, so mission control for them would be a definite step backwards in utility

some people will like features, other people won't. accept it, and figure out what works best for you, rather than trying to convince other people that your opinion is the only right answer.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. Useful is subjective. As you said, "some people will like features, other people won't.". I think that was his point.

And rather than you saying Launchpad is no more efficient than the dock and spotlight.. Some people prefer Launchpad, stop trying to convince other people that your opinion is the only right answer.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i don't get it, LOTS of good stuff.

launchpad, once you organize you apps, is great. (i put all my extra apps in folders on a second page). so my default is my primary apps. swipe, click, and i'm on to work...

mission control is great (EXCEPT we need to be able to re-order & PIN windows from the mission control screen).

mail, which i am getting used to, is great. (made a favorites bar with all my folders in sub-folders, so very neat, and easy to access); and address book pictures next to the email list is really nice.

all kinds of good under-the-hood stuff.

am looking forward to tweaks, fixes, fine-tuning over time from apple. but lion is what it is: the new system, and, over time, will become essential (the way previous systems have been for most of us).

fsu06

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I think Launch Pad is useful, but only to new converts to OS X that came from iOS. To regular Mac users, it's not something we're going to be using, at least I'm not.

I've been using macs for over a decade and I find launchpad quite useful. It's certainly nicer than having a dock with 500000 applications on it. One gesture and you have access to all your applications, with 0 clutter. If someone has so many apps as to render it useless.. they might want to clean up their computer a bit.

Use on a desktop (with a mouse) might be a bit different.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
Resume just saved me a lot of work! I accidentally hit cmd-q instead of cmd-a without having saved the doc for an hour or so. Restarted Pages and my doc was intact!

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I think you got the wrong end of the stick. Useful is subjective. As you said, "some people will like features, other people won't.". I think that was his point.

And rather than you saying Launchpad is no more efficient than the dock and spotlight.. Some people prefer Launchpad, stop trying to convince other people that your opinion is the only right answer.

i'm not sure what we're arguing over. my point was that people could just as validly dislike some of the changes as they could validly like them.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Bootcamp. :D

Lol okay you got me!

To the other person: my point was that because you don't like something does not mean someone else won't find it useful. You might not see a point in launchpad but tons of people do! I for one like the organization.

It is very subjective, so a statement saying something is not useful can be insensitive to those that do find it useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.