Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Happy days! Mine finally went to "Preparing for Shipment."
What's the average from that time to delivery?

It was reported something like a half a day 13 hours or so, mine went into preparing for shipment at 12AM PST last night so hoping for a shipping notice soon. :)

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I ordered mine on the 30th at about 9am Central with BTO options. According to the tracking info, it shipped at 6am on the 12th (not sure if the UPS site quotes the shipment time in the origin or destination time zone).

UPS doesn't estimate a delivery date, but Apple says the 20th. I'm leaving for Christmas on the 21st, so that's cutting it pretty close. My original range was the 24th-31st, which would have been fine. Both happy and sad right now, I don't want it sitting in the office at my apartment while I'm away. :(

Schatje

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
FYI, my friend called Apple today after hearing what happened when I called yesterday.

The Apple CSR basically wouldn't budge. No expedited shipping, no perks, nothing. She was even told that everyone here, myself included, are pretty much lying about orders shipping and being received. She was told that MacRumors forum isn't an authorized Apple site, so it can't possibly be real.

Right.:rolleyes:

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Is it the ones with Fusion/SSD only being shipped?

I really doubt it, since Fusion has a regular drive and just an additional logic board. If you follow this thread, you'd think they're only shipping i7 processors, but it really has to do with a bias in this population. Most people on here are pretty hardcore users and have maxed out most specs (except RAM, of course). I'm one of the few who didn't opt for an i7 and I've just reached "Preparing for Shipping". I think there unfortunately isn't much rhyme or reason, at least that we can understand.

It's very possible that the orders from the first day got divided into various lines or factories that have had different yield rates. Or maybe those groups are getting processed arbitrarily. I don't think we'll ever know, unfortunately.

Ebvette

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Northern Virginia
Same here. Order time was 11/29 11:57pm and quoted delivery date 20-27. I'm stuck at Processing even though my card was charged over a day ago.

It's clear they are not processing orders in the order received. Unfortunately, I doubt the Apple reps have any idea what is going on. I had called just to ensure everything is ok with the order and they don't have more information than what is on the order screen. Anything beyond that information just seems to be a guess or opinion of that rep.

Same as you, ordered 11/30 at 3:15 EST, card charged, on Tuesday Morning, amount taken or on hold, still in processing...UUGGHH when will the status change.:mad:

Airnova

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
Charlottetown, PEI Canada
Has anyone with a Dec 27- Jan 3 delivery date seen a status change from processing to preparing to ship?

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7:)
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
MAGIC MOUSE+MAGIC TRACKPAD
Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG
COUNTRY KIT

Ordered the afternoon of 11/30

Same delivery date with no status change for me either. Patiently waiting :)

kdavis

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Maine, USA
I really doubt it, since Fusion has a regular drive and just an additional logic board. If you follow this thread, you'd think they're only shipping i7 processors, but it really has to do with a bias in this population. Most people on here are pretty hardcore users and have maxed out most specs (except RAM, of course). I'm one of the few who didn't opt for an i7 and I've just reached "Preparing for Shipping". I think there unfortunately isn't much rhyme or reason, at least that we can understand.

It's very possible that the orders from the first day got divided into various lines or factories that have had different yield rates. Or maybe those groups are getting processed arbitrarily. I don't think we'll ever know, unfortunately.

I've gotta say, after watching this forum (obsessively) for a few days and now being in a position where I can not fret about when mine is shipping but, instead, wondering about when it will arrive, I'm becoming more and more interested in learning more about the manufacturing/shipping process, just out of obsessive curiosity sake.

I'd love to know how flexible the assembly lines are and, by what factors assembly is divided by, if at all. For instance, are the assembly lines totally flexible, allowing them to drop in whatever component variable is needed, as needed, or do they segregate assembly by some classification system (for example, i5s over here, i7s over there), with component flexibility within certain parameters?

Someone with math skills and time on their hands should figure out how many possible 27" iMac configurations there are! :)

Ctrl2k

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
I ordered morning of 11/30 at 04:30 pacific. Maxed out unit but with 3TB fusion drive and standard RAM. Saying delivers dec 21-28. Monday a charge hit my card for whole amount from Apple. But there's been no movement since, still "processing". Annoying but I'll live.

I called to try to expedite shipping. They said they couldn't. Then they said the would... And never did.

aerobyravol

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Switzerland
Does any one know the rules about CC charging?

Once you're in Processing items, does that mean the CC was successfully checked? Or may you still get in troubles because of actual credit limit or so? :confused:

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I've gotta say, after watching this forum (obsessively) for a few days and now being in a position where I can not fret about when mine is shipping but, instead, wondering about when it will arrive, I'm becoming more and more interested in learning more about the manufacturing/shipping process, just out of obsessive curiosity sake.

I'd love to know how flexible the assembly lines are and, by what factors assembly is divided by, if at all. For instance, are the assembly lines totally flexible, allowing them to drop in whatever component variable is needed, as needed, or do they segregate assembly by some classification system (for example, i5s over here, i7s over there), with component flexibility within certain parameters?

Someone with math skills and time on their hands should figure out how many possible 27" iMac configurations there are! :)

Agreed. I kind of work in operations but not for a consumer product. I find these types of logistics fascinating. But not fascinating enough to bust out a calculator :)

mazakii

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Does any one know the rules about CC charging?

Once you're in Processing items, does that mean the CC was successfully checked? Or may you still get in troubles because of actual credit limit or so? :confused:

I'm wondering too. My CC hasn't been charged yet. But my iMac is shipped already.
:confused:

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I have now preordered quite a few iProducts over the past few years... By far, preordering the 27" iMac has been the weirdest experience yet - absolutely no pattern seemingly applicable to how these orders are being processed and shipped. I must have refreshed my order screen 50 times today after calling Apple, who told me that everything is good with my order & that there's no reason that it shouldn't be processed 'very soon'. Sure, next they'll be telling me that a jolly big fat guy is bringing it via sleigh.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Well I finally called in today, not to complain but to switch to overnight delivery. I already paid the 30 bucks for 2-3 day, so I spent just 12 bucks more for overnight.

Of course when I do that, just a few hours ago my status changed to Preparing for Shipment.

Hopefully I will get this on Monday

mazakii

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Oh lucky you! That means you actually don't care: the principal is that it's shipping! Worries with your bank account manager can wait :D

I know. May be your turn soon. It was about around this hour last night lots of 'preparing for shipment' started to gush out. I would start to refresh order page if I were you. ;)

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011

Not including the Magic Trackpad or Mouse, but including both models with all possibilities in upgrades (RAM; Processor, SSD/HDD/Fusion, and Graphics card)

that makes 15 possibilities on the lower end model

and 60 possibilities on the higher end model

75 possibilities in total.

And, as I said that does not include your choices of Magic trackpad or Mouse, Paiges, Keynote Printer etc..

I have to study, but I didn't want to, so I thought I might as well :p:D

brooka

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
From Australia, Sydney, ordered it 10min after it went live.
And today my status changed to PREPARING FOR SHIPMENT!!!!

27-inch iMac
Hide Configuration Details
Ships: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers 03/01/2013 - 07/01/2013 via Standard Shipping
Configuration

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2X8GB
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
Apple WL Kybd+User's Guide-X
COUNTRY KIT-X

Good to see some movement on the BTO for Australia

UPDATE!!
My iMac has now been shipped :) Got apples email at 2:27am this morning - Sydney Australia time.

Still delivers 7/1/13 though.... Does it really take that long for the shipping?????

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Yep, ok, so I know I said earlier that still processing was killing me, and I think I decided that not only is it killing me, it's REALLY killing me.

So... yeah. So much killing.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Proposal: Shared Google Doc spreadsheet with the following fields:

• Username
  • CPU
  • GPU
  • Memory
  • Storage
  • Pointing Device
  • Order Date/Time
  • Charged Date/Time
  • Shipped Date/Time
  • Country

zemzabob

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Just got off the phone with a really cool Apple supervisor, he said he would take care of the shipping and gave me a superdrive free of charge awesome!:apple: now the bad news my offer is stil processing.:mad: lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.