Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
around
Today is the 2nd time my 27" imac has crashed to a black screen with just a cursor showing.

Last time it crashed I was able to restore everything just fine. This time when I was trying to restore, somehow my hard drive went missing.

I called apple support which I should have done from the start. She eventually said nothing could be done after trying several different things and said I'd have to take it to an apple store to get it fixed or one of their (I forgot what they called them, but they can fix apple items cheaper than apple store would).

They also said I was out of warranty and they would probably have to re-install the hard drive. Just wondering how much this is going to cost me.

C5.4

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
If I remember correctly, Apple was wanting somewhere in the $200-250 to replace my 2011's hard drive a while back. I paid a local computer shop $100 to install a new drive and put macos on it. With the correct tools it's a very simple task, I watched them do it all in about 30 mintues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.