27" iMac is dead....again.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fixerman, Sep 3, 2013.

1. fixerman macrumors member

fixerman

My 27" iMac came back from the local apple repair agent yesterday having had the video card replaced to cure a white screen issue. It booted up once but on booting up this morning the white screen is back and what's worse it no longer responds to any inputs from the USB keyboard so I cannot access any recovery options. I have tried unplugging all connections including power lead and leaving it for ten minutes but no change.

I am very disappointed with this iMac. I thought I was buying a quality product from a quality manufacturer. It is only eighteen months old and has been to the workshop twice already. The quality control on the unit has to be suspect. I have windows pcs that are five years old and still going strong.:mad:

Sorry for the rant but I'm really annoyed with Apple.:(

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Who is your repair agent? Sounds like the place is the issue..

3. fixerman thread starter macrumors member

fixerman

I'm in London and the agent is. http://www.amsys.co.uk/

4. Serban Suspended

5. fixerman thread starter macrumors member

fixerman

I dont think so. It is the one with the disc drive and the sd slot on the side.

6. fixerman thread starter macrumors member

fixerman

Just came off the phone to Apple and they tried a few possible solutions but no luck. It's back in the box now waiting for a call from the same service provider, AMSYS, to collect for repair. I am not very happy!:mad:

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

While I understand your frustration, wouldn't it be more prudent to blame the place repairing your computer?

8. DianeK macrumors regular

Replacement of the graphics card did not solve the white screen issue for me either. I don't think this is an issue with the service provider. I think Apple hasn't a clue what is causing the white screen issue. Or else they are replacing faulty graphics cards with equally faulty graphics cards. Sounds like the OP has a mid-2011 iMac and it has become apparent over time that the QA on that model was suspect at best. For me it was the graphics card, the hard drive and now possibly a logic board. And the second graphics card is still an issue (white screen and poor streaming capability) :mad:

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

From the sounds of it, this is third time in for repairs. If so, then a short email to Tim Cook could possibly help you with this problem. I owned same iMac and had issues with it as well. Not same issue. Mine was in shop five times and every time was a screen issue.

Well I finally said enough was enough and sent an email of to Tim Cook. My iMac was a business machine and I could not continue to afford to not have an iMac that did not want to work.

The email was honest and factual about what had been going on with my iMac. Never ranting, just expressing my concerns. Five times in for repair, for five week in total. That's a lot of lost production. iMac was only 21 mths. old. Could prove everything in the email with paperwork. Lucky to own 2 iMacs though.

Low and behold within hours of sending the email, Apple Store that was doing the repairs call me. Manager ask me if I emailed Tim Cook, then proceeds to tell me that a new iMac is going to replace my old one.

Well I now have a 2012 iMac with no issues and no lost production. Might be worth the effort to send an email. Not saying it will work, but at least you will be able to express your concerns. I even stated in my email that I expected no results from it.

Side note. It is most likely the shop doing the repairs that is the issue. Sounds like Apple is doing everything it can to make this right for you.

10. DianeK macrumors regular

And how does one get Tim Cook's email address?
    And yes, this is a business machine and resulting in lost production time (I do a lot of graphics work). And the local service provider I am working with has confirmed that the mid-2011 iMacs are coming in for repair at a higher rate than other models.

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

timcook@apple.com

Just be able to document everything that is happening. I also said this may not work for you. I never expected it to work for me. Was pleasantly surprised that I even garnered a response, let alone the one I received.

I did no ranting in the email. Was courteous and to the point. Just saying it may be worth a try, especially if it is a continuing issue that requires constant repair. They had virtually replaced the insides of my iMac with no results. Power supply, hdd, graphics card, screen and logic board was next.

12. Aedubber macrumors newbie

Damn , i have a mid 2011 iMac myself and havent had any issues .. Ive had mine for almost 2 years now but im hoping nothing like this comes up. I wonder what the problem is with a white screen ?

Sounds like maybe a firmware issue or did you recently add or change something ?

13. DianeK macrumors regular

Thanks. My service provider has escalated my case with Apple so I'm waiting to see what Apple's response is to that before emailing Mr. Cook. Probably a lot depends on what level of relationship my provider has with Apple. They have yet to install the new HDD and logic board while awaiting Apple's response. We're both trying to decrease the number of times my machine needs to get opened up.

----------

Lucky you. The white screen issue started after my upgrade to ML (the machine shipped with SL). Other than that, I made no other changes.

14. fixerman thread starter macrumors member

fixerman

AMSYS called to say they will collect the iMac tomorrow and give it top priority. They tried their usual "We cannot give you a time when the courier will call" but I insisted that I cannot wait in all day waiting for the courier. They eventually agreed to call before 14.00. I think it's ridiculous in this day and age that collection and delivery times cannot be more specific.

15. WilliamG macrumors 604

I understand your frustration, but to be honest, this sounds more like you need a forum for AMSYS bashing than iMac bashing. :)

16. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You have lots of Apple Stores in London. Have you considered using them instead?

/Jim

17. fixerman thread starter macrumors member

fixerman

The problem Jim is that I have limited mobility and the 27" iMac is a big heavy old piece of kit. I'm surprised that Apple don't provide an "on site" repair service.

18. fixerman thread starter macrumors member

fixerman

I paid top dollar to Apple for a top of the range product. I also paid for AppleCare to provide me with extra protection in the event of problems with the product. I do not have a contract with Amsys. It is up to Apple to honour their obligations to me as a consumer. How they do this reflects on Apple themselves. If they choose a service partner that is substandard that makes Apple substandard. That is why I refuse to get into dealing directly with Amsys. To do so would result in Apple getting off the hook.

I just did a search on this forum on Amsys and I am not alone.

19. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I've never known an iMac to fail before. I'm not saying you are lying or anything but it's a very rare event. Macs general just work for decades without issues that's why they are the best computers on the market.

20. fixerman thread starter macrumors member

fixerman

Are you some sort of comedian?:confused:

Have a good look on the forums. Do a search for iMac 27" problems.:eek:

21. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I just don't want people to get the impression that Mac computers are not the most reliable around. I did a search and can only find a few relevant threads.

Anyway sorry for your issue but just wanted to keep it in perspective for any potential Mac buyers reading this thread. We don't want them scared off, do we? We're all on the same team here.

22. Saltymac macrumors member

23. fixerman thread starter macrumors member

fixerman

I am a fan of Apple products also and have been for many years. My home is very much an Apple ecosystem. I admire their designs very much but when it comes to premium products failing in significant numbers I take off the rose coloured glasses and in my case I'm just not getting the backup I was expecting.

24. sukhoi37 macrumors newbie

It sounds like you are trully an Apple fanboy.
    Just do a search and you will find quite a number of similar issue on iMac.
    Works for decades? LOL!
    My 2011 iMac 27" already failed me 3 times in 24 months.:rolleyes:

Back to the topic, I also had my GPU replaced twice. Now crossing finger for the 3rd time ;)

25. jlehman macrumors member

.....and this is why i'm not buying an iMac. I have 4 2010 27" iMacs with bad hard drives or mobo problems in my office. We ordered 50+ of the late 2012 27" iMacs, can't wait till they start having problems. At least the 2010's are easy to take apart.

I personally wouldn't recommend an iMac to anyone. I hope your repair center makes this right and you get a few more years out of it but i would save for a Mac Pro if you really need the power or maybe go with a Mac Mini. Just my opinion.