Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093532-two_week_imac_shipping.png

Digital Daily reports on apparent widespread screen flickering problems on Apple's 27" iMac models, coinciding with a slip in shipping times to two weeks for orders placed through Apple's online store. The screen flickering complaints come in addition to earlier reports of machines appearing dead on arrivals or with cracked screens right out of the box.
As I write this, there are 82 pages of complaints about the machine on Apple's support site, all from customers who claim the display of their 27-inch iMac flickers or otherwise distorts sporadically (see video below).

Article Link: 27" iMac Shipping Times Slip to Two Weeks Amid Screen Flickering Complaints

eninety88

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
as for the flickering issues, when i first got my imac i had it. however, people on the forums suggested i shut down the imac, unplug the power cable from the imac, then plug it back in. since i havent had an issue.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Looks like I will be waiting till the next revision before I buy an imac with a 27" screen. Being an early adopter is not without its share of growing pains, however this current release of imacs seem to be much more prone to defect than other releases.

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
My suspicions are...

I suspect the delay is due to demand, not a fix process (which may be in process in parallel). Having worked for hardware manufacturers in the past, I know that it takes a really fatal flaw to stop shipping - and not all of the 27" iMacs are having issues, just a subset.

Having said that, I'm cheesed off, as I need to get a couple of these for new hires - the delay is killing me. :eek:

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
I was one of the unlucky ones, Since receiving my replacement, I've had 0 problems. I still have a video of my iPhone replicating the issue.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
My 27" i7 just arrived with a non-functioning airport wireless. I was reluctant to ship back for a new one given the probable delay but that was the repair shop's and Apple's recommendations :( It was screaming fast otherwise though :) My screen didn't flicker at all. It was beautiful.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
I guess I should be thankful that my i7 showed up perfect. I have had NO problems. No screen problems. No hard drive noise problem.

underattack

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I ordered mine december 9th, but as of today, it shows as "prepared for shipment". Others ordering around that day report shipment as well. I guess apple either found a fix faster then expected or managed to catch up with the orders. Mine was scheduled to ship on Dec 23rd (27" i7, 8GB RAM)

Typically, Apple tends to overestimate shipping times (I guess better to under promisse then over promisse).

Lets hope it will arrive without flickering or other issues.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
wow this looks bad... I'd be so angry if I got a machine which such failures... (I know it "happens") guess I got to stick with my mb07 for the next years to 100&ly protect myself against such things ;):rolleyes:

leonidas21

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Crash

The flickering happened with mine as well (quad-core). The menu bar also crashed a few times. I returned it to the Apple store closest to me and was just given a new one. Apple didn't tell me what the problem was. Here is a picture of the menu bar crashing when I was on skype.

Also, thank you to everybody in the community for all the helpful information you've provided over the year that I've logged in to learn about the mac product. Finally made the conversion to a mac product from windows a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• Imac Crash.jpg
    Imac Crash.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 633

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
oh man! that video is discouraging! i though my 24" aluminum iMac from early 2008 had a bad display (gradient, ghosting, mura), but at least it isn't possessed by satan like the new ones!

awinn233

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2003
FL
21" iMacs

So far it seems that all the problems have been on the 27" iMacs, does anyone know of any problems on the 21.5" iMacs? I'm interested in getting one sometime early next year.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Mine has the problem, although not as bad as the video in the news story. I called Apple Support and their "solution" was to unplug the Mac and plug it back in. They then gave me a case number in case I needed to call back. The issue continues and I am hoping that it can be fixed with a firmware update. If not, it looks like I have to get a whole new unit or a replacement graphics card.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I was awaiting a replacement iMac through my insurance company. They were supplying a new 27" iMac as a replacement for my old 24" imac.

I was advised by the IT company replacing the iMac that there was a delay of 4 to 6 weeks for Apple resellers as they did not have enough stock due to high demand and the 'newness' of the screens.

I then got a cash settlement and will be buying a quad core iMac from the high street Apple store as they have plenty of stock.

Also, the lead time reported on the Apple store for the 27" iMacs was 7-10 days up until yesterday when this changed to 2 weeks. This is more likely to be because they have now passed the 'order by' date to receive before christmas. So if you order now it WILL be 2 weeks. You know, holidays n all!!

websyndicate

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
Spokane Valley,WA
A friend of my she purchased a brand new 27 inch iMac. The Video card lasted for 3 days and now she has a dark screen. Apple is sending a tech out to her house to fix it but that cause we dont have an official apple store here in town

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Where is the original thread on this? I remember reading hundreds of posts where members called the people with the issues whiners/complainers who should basically be lucky to order from a company as glorious as Apple.

Now that Apple issued such a shoddy product their profit is going through the floor with all of the returns/repairs/delays.

jmuchrisf

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
I was one of the ones with the cracked screen on arrival . The replacement screen was yellowed.

As of yesterday, I canceled the replacement for that.... I want to cry.

maybe I'll order a MBP if there's a spring upgrade.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I ordered my built-to-order i7 on the 8th December and today (14th) it is shown to be "Prepared for Shipment".

lightpeak

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
BC, Canada
Remember last month when some rabid fanboys here knee-jerk (reaction) barked that this wasn't "news" and "just a fleeting rarity" (cracked screens, flickering)? Where are ya guys now?

easy-mac

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
I ordered my wife and I an i7 iMac on Dec. 8 and my expected ship date is December 22. When I saw this article this morning I got a little discouraged, but I just checked my order status and it's showing as Prepared for Shipment! :D Maybe Apple is just trying to catch up on manufacturing due to a higher than expected demand. I certainly hope they have taken care of those other issues as well though! I'm very excited to see this monster in action!

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Remember last month when some rabid fanboys here knee-jerk (reaction) barked that this wasn't "news" and "just a fleeting rarity" (cracked screens, flickering)? Where are ya guys now?
EXACTLY. They should be ashamed of themselves. Fellow forum members spent thousands, including me, only to have a sh*tty product on our desks that needs replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.