Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Lou

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
Problem first noticed - right out of the box - with the machine not responding to Sleep key combination.
Had tried reset of PRAM and SMC...

Now machine will sleep, but does not wake!
Further resets of PRAM and SMC to no avail.

Have not yet tried the 'complete reinstall' approach; this would be a Big Job in my case, so this will be the last resort.

UPDATE: Tried every combination of PRAM and SMC reset - alone, or in sequence, in different order - still machine will not wake from sleep...

Bit the bullet: Did a complete reinstall of 10.6.2, and it now works perfectly.

Dunno.

Will now apply the post-10.6.2 Software Update(s); let's see if things remain status quo...

Grewa

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
Dr Lou...i did a complete erase & install followed with a migration from my perfectly working 24" Imac, but still no luck !
Did my updates as well.
Thinking of other solutions and maybe more trouble shooting from Apple support.
Will keep u guys updated !:mad:

kdeleon

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
Update again:

After working fine for two days, it is back at it again. This really sucks, and I hope they have an update to fix it soon. I really don't want to pack this behemoth back up, or drive 2 hours to the nearest Apple store :/

Grewa

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
Just to update you guys, I have returned the 27" to the Apple Care for a diagnostic check.
I have to wait around 5 days for them to check, diagnose and rectify this fault.
Missing my Mac so much.
Will keep u guys updated again once I get my mac back !
Wish me goodluck !!:mad::(

DaveGx

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
UK, Cheshire
I've also experienced 3 or 4 instances of the screen not coming on after waking the machine up over the last few weeks, but slightly different findings to what has been reported above so far.

Basically, I press a key on the keyboard to wakeup the Imac (i7, Week 50), and I know its powering up because I can hear the fans and hard drive come on but the screen remains black. Moving the mouse and pressing the spacebar etc makes no difference, however, what I have noticed is that if I press the F3 - Expose key, the screen comes on with the windows all arranging themselves as normal but if I try clicking on them or press any other keys the screen goes black again.

I can toggle between black screen and Expose by pressing F3, but haven't found a way to wake the machine up without switching it off and on, which I don't like doing.

Is anyone else able to bring the screen on with Expose ???

So far I haven't had any of the other problems that users are reporting.

Checker

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Same here

3 problems:

1) One week old i5 - ordered and paid for an i7
2) flickering (actually I would describe as totally blacking out for a second). Firmware update didn't fix.
3) won't wake from sleep

Sending it back. One thing to get the WRONG product sent. Another to get a dysfunctional one.

Ready to go back to my 5 year old G5. Slow but functional

jpetitpierre

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
As evident from my previous posts, I had exact same issue(s) and resolved them today.

I re-installed OS without erase. With Mac OS X v10.6, there is a single choice for installing or upgrading Mac OS X. This choice is similar to the Archive & Install choice seen on previous Mac OS X releases.

The installer first cleans up the previous Mac OS X installation, while preserving user data, system settings, and third-party applications you have installed. It then merges these preserved files with a clean new installation of the operating system.

I am also now able to wake with bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse.

I had the same here with my new Imac I7 and i solved the Problem with a re-install. I hope it fix for the future.

Greats jpetitpierre

workmam

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
serious issue

I have 6 27" quad-core iMacs. All 6 have this issue. It's not OK to run your customers around with re-installs and trips to the apple store. The re-install works for a little while but the problem comes back over time.

Adam I

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
I was having a similar problem with one of our 24" iMacs at the office. Upgraded it to SL, tried all the reset options... nothing worked. Bluetooth disabled, USB keyboard and mouse directly connected... no luck.

Then, I unplugged the 4-port powered hub that was connected to it, and all the problems went away.

It wakes from sleep with no problems whatsoever.

Go figure.

kdeleon

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
I'd like to get a list started on everyone's configuration while having sleeping problems to see if we can get something figured it out since Apple's only solution seems to be to replace the imac and that doesn't seem to always work.

I transferred my 3rd party apps from my Macbook Pro using local area network. I have reset PRAM and SMC.

Here is mine:
hardware:
imac 27" i5
Microsoft Ergo USB keyboard 4000
mighty mouse
APC UPS USB connected

3rd party software brought over with mac2mac:
Quicksilver
Adobe CS 3
Seesmic Desktop
Transmit
Coda
Textmate
MAMP
Billings
Sun VirtualBox
Firefox
Photo Mechanic
Growl
Dropbox

I know this probably seems trivial, but I'd like to see if it might help me or someone else.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Here's some food for thought. I pulled my OCZ Vertex SSD out of my MacBook Pro and threw it into my iMac. My MacBook Pro OS booted just fine on it, and I thought that was the end of it.

However, I found the system wouldn't wake from sleep. Actually, truth be told, the system was never fully asleep, as putting my ear to the back of the system when the screen went dark showed me it was still actually running.

A fresh install of 10.6.2 fixed it, and my system sleeps every day without issue. You might want to try a fresh install...!

kdeleon

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
Here's some food for thought. I pulled my OCZ Vertex SSD out of my MacBook Pro and threw it into my iMac. My MacBook Pro OS booted just fine on it, and I thought that was the end of it.

However, I found the system wouldn't wake from sleep. Actually, truth be told, the system was never fully asleep, as putting my ear to the back of the system when the screen went dark showed me it was still actually running.

A fresh install of 10.6.2 fixed it, and my system sleeps every day without issue. You might want to try a fresh install...!

By fresh install, do you mean the "overinstall" type, or the completely wipe the disk/re-install from scratch? I am trying to avoid the latter because I have so many programs to transfer, and I have already tried the aforementioned overinstall.

oarsman

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Re: 27" iMac won't awakend from sleep

Same here (27" C2D). Screen just does not want to wake up!:/

My sister's late 2009 iMac i5 has this problem: if you manually put it to sleep
(or the energy saver sleep timeout triggers), the screen goes dark, the fan
is still quietly running but the disk drive is silent. Nothing we can do will
bring it out of sleep: even pressing the power button momentarily has
no effect. We didn't have a wired USB keyboard handy to try that,
but the screen remains dark when attaching a USB hard drive and
inserting a CD (the Apple bluetooth mouse and keyboard have
no effect). This system is a week old and has 10.6.2 with the
latest ATI graphics firmware, latest bluetooth firmware and
all available software updates. Unplugging the power cord
to reset the SMC had no effect. We'd rather not attempt
a full Snow Leopard reinstall (ugh)...

teamrickett

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
Same issue with 27" i7 - started with Mac Pro

For whatever it's worth I am having the same problem on my brand new i7, but it started with my Mac Pro. I never figured out why but always hoped Snow Leopard would fix the issue. Did a Time Machine backup and switched over to the new computer and the same issue came with me. I'm guessing there's a rogue file in my library that came from a program I use (Adobe suite, Final Cut Studio, and then some...).

sascha h-k

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
vienna / austria
i installed "smartsleep", this could help ..

i found out, that when the i7 doesnt wake up and i pull the cord; after restart the cpu temp is around 53° and also the case is more than warm ..

if sleep/wakup is correct, my mac has about 37° ..

as written above, with smartsleep (http://www.macupdate.com) and setting "sleep only" it's since 3 days ok.

p.s. today i got a new i7; will go back as hdd and or the fans are vibrating loud, beside a yellow tint (week 05) ..

richlin71

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
The problem occurs when using boot drives that were originally installed on different systems.

I boot from 2 different drives on my i7:
1. Internal HDD: clean install from the i7 disc. Wake from sleep works fine.
2. External SSD: a drive from another system. Wouldn't wake from sleep.

After reinstalling the OS on #2 from the i7 disc, wake from sleep is working fine.

soupdragon

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone Solved this problem?

Having the same issues. Looking for a solution.
27 inch iMac - purchased in Dec 2009. Didn't start until a few weeks ago (lat Jan). Thanks!!

Cancelled
Feb 24, 2010
Only recognizing two out of four RAM

I have this exact problem. I haven't had time to try a reinstall yet, but I will get round to it.

Meanwhile, I've noticed another problem, that might/might not be connected to this one. Every time my iMac goes to sleep (triggered by the energy saver) it refuses to wake up, exactly like you've described already. I have to press the power button until it shuts down and the restart.

Every time I do that, the iMac tells me, that there's only 2 GB RAM installed. I have to reset the PRAM to make it recognize all 4. Have any of you guys experienced the same thing? Or am I blessed with two separate problems on my two day old Mac? :mad:

jimlindsey

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
my second 27 inch iMac i5 -- will not wake from sleep -- same problem

In February I purchased a new 27 inch i5 -- I tried to migrate from my 24 inch iMac -- didn't work. I did manage to migrate from Time Machine -- but right away, the computer would not wake up from sleep. I spent several hours online with Apple care. While they were nice, the lack of expertise was disappointing. They finally made me an appointment with the Apple store which is in another city. I took the machine over and then they said they would need to do a fresh install and that I would have to leave the machine. After a day or two I called back and they said they were having trouble with the fresh install and were going to give me a new computer. I brought it home, did a migration from Time Machine and once again I have the same problem. The computer will not wake up from sleep.

Should I try reinstalling snow leopard? Has this worked for most folks with just reinstalling the system similar to install and archive?Has anyone had long-term success with this approach. Or, should I just go back to Apple care?

thanks

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
In February I purchased a new 27 inch i5 -- I tried to migrate from my 24 inch iMac -- didn't work. I did manage to migrate from Time Machine -- but right away, the computer would not wake up from sleep. I spent several hours online with Apple care. While they were nice, the lack of expertise was disappointing. They finally made me an appointment with the Apple store which is in another city. I took the machine over and then they said they would need to do a fresh install and that I would have to leave the machine. After a day or two I called back and they said they were having trouble with the fresh install and were going to give me a new computer. I brought it home, did a migration from Time Machine and once again I have the same problem. The computer will not wake up from sleep.

Should I try reinstalling snow leopard? Has this worked for most folks with just reinstalling the system similar to install and archive?Has anyone had long-term success with this approach. Or, should I just go back to Apple care?

thanks

Don't go back to Apple. Clearly it's a software issue. Reinstall the OS. I had the same issue as you when I pulled the hard drive from my MacBook Pro (SSD), and put it in my iMac. It wouldn't wake from sleep, and a fresh install fixed it immediately. Completely wipe the drive and fresh start. There are a LOT of things that are installed during the OS X installation for the iMac 27" that simply weren't installed on your 24" iMac (drivers etc). Reinstall will fix it.

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
For about 6 days, my iMac would not wake from sleep.

Workaround was (when it wouldn't wake):
Turn off at power point;
Wait 5 seconds;
Turn on again;
Then it wakes immediately with either kb or mouse.
Mystifies me why this works.:confused:

Permanent solution (for now):
Remove my USB hub.
This a nuisance, and why did this start recently? I have always (3 months) had the USB hub connected.
Mystified even more.:confused::confused:
But it does now wake - so happy.:)

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I’ve had four 21.5 iMac’s and two 27” iMac i5 and only one of them has had this sleep mode issue. It’s happen 5 times in the last 10 days where the system fans come on however the screen stays black when I try to wake it up from sleep mode. The system log files do not show any entries so it’s more than a screen issue. I called Apple Care last night and they immediately escalated the issue. I’m not convinced it’s just a software issue otherwise more people would be experiencing this issue. Also I’m done a couple fresh installs of Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and the issue keeps coming back. One question, is Apple sleep mode really ‘system hibernation’ where the RAM content is written to the HD?

I'm really bummed because otherwise I love this system. I hate to play the Apple lottery again for another system. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.