Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

27-Inch LED Cinema Displays Photos and Impressions

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

barely fits by Andrew Ng

The 27" Apple Cinema Display is now available at Apple Stores and being delivered to customers. A few early impressions and photos are being posted to our forums. One user bluesteel compared it to the now discontinued 30" Apple Cinema display:i liked the aspect ratio of the 30". it seems like it was a lot bigger, well at least a little wider and a lot taller. but with the 27 my neck doesn't hurt from having to tilt it up when using the 30". i also liked the matte display of the 30" so much better than this 27's glossy look. there is a little glare, especially from the shiny black bezel, sort of distracting actually. other than that, i like the 27's cable setup. its a lot less clutter...i'm glad the 30's power brick is gone. Another user Cynicalone posted a comparison photo between it and the 24" Apple Display:

27" on left, 24" on right​

More impressions are rolling into our forums.

Article Link: 27-Inch LED Cinema Displays Photos and Impressions

Last edited:

definitive

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2008
is that the angle of the photo that was taken, or am i seeing some yellow tinge on the bigger screen?

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
Lawl! Is that a smart car? Typical. But anyways I'm thinking of getting one or maybe just a HDTV and use it as a monitor. What's the difference? Does anybody know?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
is that the angle of the photo that was taken, or am i seeing some yellow tinge on the bigger screen?
I see what you're seeing too... that's not good if it's a defect with the monitor. I've been eyeing that display for months now... of course, I can't use it with my current iMac and I can't afford a new one right now either. Sigh.

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
It's that time again when adults get brand new apple stuff and feel the need to post pictures of the packaging it came in. Adults.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
It is not photo angle unless that is one poorly designed / manufactured screen. The angle of view is not extreme by any stretch of the eye.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
It is not photo angle unless that is one poorly designed / manufactured screen. The angle of view is not extreme by any stretch of the eye.

There are countless shooting artifacts/lighting conditions that could produce that glare, other than two defective monitors.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I spent about ten minutes putting one through it's paces at the :apple: store today. zero artifacts, dead pixels, and no yellow tint at all. the only thing I didn't like was how low it sat compared to my current monitor. Mine arrives tomorrow and I'll give it a shot without any type of pedestal, but I might want to lift it a bit if it doesn't begin to feel right.

either way, I can report that the screen is gorgeous and that the built-in speakers sound great.

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
w00tini, before you used the 27" ACD, had you used any 27" iMacs to act as a basis for comparison? If all is good, I'll be buying one of these beauties next month. :)

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Damn,
I hope Apple will bring back the 30" or larger a bit down the road. As a graphic professional I cannot express how nice is to work on such a display. Specially with a matte screen.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Let me add to this yellow tinge thing that the walls in my office are painted a yellow gold color called "Kansas Grain".

Which is probably adding to the yellowish color you are seeing.

Attachments

• MPC0005143-2.jpg
    MPC0005143-2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 223

ThomasJL

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
In terms of functionality, the 27" LED display is vastly inferior to the 30" ACD. But since the form factor of the 27" display is thinner and shinier than the 30", Apple fanboys will love it and continue to defend it. To Apple fanboys, form factor is more important than functionality.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Let the kids have the glossy, color inaccurate and "impossible" to calibrate mirror.
For the rest of us, Nec.

Please try before you post your ill informed comment. Glossy screens are far more color accurate. Trust me. Ive tried to prove that wrong over and over and over and each time glossy comes out the winner.

My prints are identical to my monitor using my printer and monitor calibration equipment. I can't say the same for even higher end matte monitors.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
w00tini, before you used the 27" ACD, had you used any 27" iMacs to act as a basis for comparison? If all is good, I'll be buying one of these beauties next month. :)

they had the ACD setup right next to the 27" iMac. neither of them had any color discrepancies. they looked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.