$29 Snow Leopard question.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by definitive, Aug 9, 2009.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Will it be possible to install the $29 Snow Leopard through a clean format, or would I have to upgrade an installed copy of Leopard to to the $29 SL copy?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I believe it recognizes Leopard and then let's you install. Otherwise the Leopard requirement would be irrelevant.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You will be able to do an Erase and Install just like you would with a retail copy of Leopard or the Restore DVDs, but Leopard has to be on the machine you want to upgrade.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, neither you nor anyone who doesn't work at Apple knows that, so don't post as if you have absolute knowledge.

OP, you'll have to wait until the disks are available, but chances are high that you will be able to do a clean install, and you may or may not be able to do it onto an already blank drive.

jW

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

The simple fact is that it makes no sense to sell a $29 upgrade through Amazon that can be installed on a blank drive when Amazon how absolutely no way to verify if you own Leopard.

Apple would have be stupid or not care. I don't believe they will not care and they are not stupid. So....

S-

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

By the measure of most software vendors, no activation keys makes either careless or stupid as well, yet they keep doing it.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I still stand by the idea that in order to install Snow Leopard, you must have Leopard on your computer. Then you are given the option as to how you upgrade.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Bets bet is to wait and see what Apple says or contact them.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I can see that conversation:
    "Yeah, I really do not want to pay to buy Leopard, am I just going to be able to install Snow Leopard on a clean drive or are there going to be some problems..."

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Signal-11,

What company do you know that sells an "upgrade" to a software package requiring no activation keys, that is actually the full blown software, and does no checks to verify the person actually owns the software? Can you give me one example?

S-

11. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Sure. Apple.

12. steveca macrumors 6502

I guess the $29 update, as the name suggests updates the current Leopard installation. For this I guess we need to have leopard installed.

However if a user of Tiger or whatever other OS wants to upgrade to SL it means he or she has to install leopard first. Now for this scenario I guess that Apple will also release a full version of SL (not an update) to serve these customers... if not Apple has to keep selling Leopard as well...

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

As he already said, Apple. You're on a forum dedicated to their products, I'd have thought Apple would be one of the first companies you'd filter through your assertion-checking-machine.

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Signal-11 and Badandy,

What Product does Apple sell as an "upgrade" to a software package requiring no activation keys, that is actually the full blown software, and does no checks to verify the person actually owns the software?

S-

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If they go the same route as with the Leopard Upgrade DVD, which they most probably will, just to circumvent any kind of activation, then we'll know what they'll do.

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

iLife and OSX.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Until we actually see (or they state) what's happening all this talk is just wild speculation since nobody knows.

We don't know if its an "upgrade" disc or a full blown OS that apple is selling for 30 bucks. I kind of doubt the latter but you never know and until we actually get it into our hands its pointless to argue either way.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Agree 100%
    Apple has historically been a trusting company (unlike Microsoft). However, there will probably be some sort of verification of existing Leopard (though I am speculating here). However, Apple also knows some concumers like to erase and fresh install, so there will likely be a path to do this.

That having been said - if someone is asking the above question, it is possible they don't have Leopard, and are trying to cheat Apple by not buying the full price OS. If that is the case - SHAME ON YOU!

19. adamk77 macrumors 6502

Upon trying to install Snow Leopard, wouldn't it be possible that Snow Leopard will first ask you to insert the Leopard Disc, and only then continue installing it?

This means you wouldn't have to already have Leopard installed on your machine.

I really don't feel like sitting through two installations. Hopefully it'll have an option like this.

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Does it really matter?

You get a disc you pop it in magic happens and u have summin purdy

21. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I bought my last iMac a month before Leopard came out and therefore got the update disk later for 20 bucks or whatever it was.

To install Leopard, you had to boot into Tiger, put in the Leopard disk and it verified that Tiger was installed. You could then restart and install 10.5 with all the normal install options including archive & install or clean install.

I'm assuming that SL will work the same way.

EDIT:The only difference between the Leopard upgrade disk and the full version disk was the bundling of the iLife software. I lost all of that when I moved to Leopard, but could reinstall the old versions from my Tiger OS disk.

22. gorn macrumors member

When you get a Mac the install disc only works on that model of computer. I'm hoping they do something like that here, where if your computer shipped with leopard then it will just install no problem, but if it's older it checks for Leopard installed or asks for the disc.

Requiring the Leopard disc and the Snow Leopard disc during fresh installs would be obnoxious.

23. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No. They are not sold as "upgrades". At least not until the Snow Leopard upgrade. They are sold as full blown packages. Apple does not offer "upgrade" packages for the OS or iLife. That is a regular complaint on this forum. Don't you pay attention??

Try again.....

S-

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

Hackintosh aside, you have to have purchased a recent Mac computer in order to install Leopard. Since Macs already come with OS X, you'd already have a legal copy of Mac OS X to upgrade from. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that the Retail OS X disk is an upgrade disk. It also just so happens that this disk can perform a full install.

Please quit trying to place Apple and it's OS X distribution model into the same model that Microsoft uses for Windows.

I also think that there might be some confusion between terms. There is not only an upgrade disk (files that have changed) but also an upgrade license which grants the user the right to use the newer software because the user held the right to use a previous version. The Leopard disk (and presumably the Snow Leopard disks) are full installation media. A complete set of the OS files are contained on both the $29 retail and Box Set disk. However, the $29 version has an upgrade license, while the box set contains a full license.

25. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

jdechko,

Just because all Macs come with an OS, does not mean that Apple has been selling "upgrades" all along. Up to this point, each version of Mac OS X purchased is a full licensed version that have not required any particular previous version. For example, Leopard is not an upgrade. Your conclusion is not logical.

S-