Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced its 2G iPod Nano, available in 5 colors depending on model. Apple claims the new model can get up to 24 hours of battery life, and the screen is 40% brighter. The new models are as follows, and are available today:

2 GB: $149
-Silver only

4 GB: $199
-Silver, Pink, Green, Blue

8 GB: $249
-Black only

Alongside the new Nano, billboard and TV advertising campaigns for the products were announced.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Well, the keynote had me there for a second with the whole “52% smaller” thing ;) but now that it has been clarified, I still think this is a solid update for the nanos – lower prices, higher capacities, more colors, 24 hour battery life – it’s all good. :cool:

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
24 hours battery life!! WOW. I want one, in addition to the shuffle! I bought my 4GB nano last month, but should have waited....

~Shard~ my jaw dropped when iLounge first reported the nano was 52% smaller in volume. Too bad it wasn't true, because then I would have had to get one!

L

Lau

I like them, but I prefer the look of the old ones. The non-cosmetic upgrades are great though, and I'd be more inclined to buy a new one just because of that. That is, unless I can find a cheap one someone's flogging in the Marketplace...:D

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
It looks like Apple got sick of the scratch complaints and went back to the Mini design. Odd that Apple would take a step back on the design front. Of course I always thought the Nanos were boring anyway, so maybe now this will give me an incentive to get one.

And let the "I have to pay how much extra for black" complaints begin...

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
This is what the iPod nano always should have been: a radically slimmer iPod mini.

Love the colors. Love the new (old) shape. Love the new (old) aluminum scratch-free design.

I want one. ;)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Just ordered a silver 4GB with inscription for my girlfriend. It's her birthday present (from last month) and she got to choose the colour herself... :)

Ordered a Tucano Second Skin Guaina for my MacBook at the same time to save a buck on shipping... ;)

Now that the nanos look (and presumably feel) like the minis I might be tempted to get a nano, and not just a new battery, whenever my 1G green mini's battery decides to quit... a green 4GB nano would be a perfect replacement...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
spicyapple said:
~Shard~ my jaw dropped when iLounge first reported the nano was 52% smaller in volume. Too bad it wasn't true, because then I would have had to get one!

You're not alone on that one! ;) :D My Engineer brain was trying to compute how that would even be possible, and to no avail... ;)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Looks pretty awesome, I've been waiting all summer for this. I'll be buying one for my wife as soon as apple stores have them in stock. They say today, but I'm guessing it will be at least a few days?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
milo said:
Looks pretty awesome, I've been waiting all summer for this. I'll be buying one for my wife as soon as apple stores have them in stock. They say today, but I'm guessing it will be at least a few days?

Yeah, that's usually the way it works - I'd say a few days is more realistic for a product like this one. And expect it to sell quickly. :cool:

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
well, nice update. the old ipods looked nice. err umm new ones i mean.

hell they brought back an old case. weird. how about a nice Black one?

also.... why not add fm inside of them, why need to buy an add on?

just askin

Fredou51

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
baleensavage said:
It looks like Apple got sick of the scratch complaints and went back to the Mini design. Odd that Apple would take a step back on the design front. Of course I always thought the Nanos were boring anyway, so maybe now this will give me an incentive to get one.

And let the "I have to pay how much extra for black" complaints begin...
At least you get 8GB instead of four. You don't pay that extra just for the color. The 50$ difference for that extra 4GB capacity is reasonable compared to the 200$ for 80GB instead of 60GB on the Macbook especially since you can upgrade the white macbook to 80GB for 50$. So the Macbook is actually 150$ for the color while the nano is 50$ for the color and the capacity.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
the education store sell these ipods for the same price as normal store
what does this mean? is it the end of discount? apple want more money? what?

update:

and the education store free ipod promo is still the old ones.
I guess probably we will see edu price for new nano after this promo ends.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
My Prediction
"I really expect it to be a mixture of a let down and goodness. There is likely going to be new nanos, I work at the 5th Ave. CompUSA and can tell you that we are out of almost all the nanos. That never happens, we are also out of the iSight, both the 5th Ave. and SoHo Apple stores are too. We are also out of all the Shuffles too. Expect to see new nanos and an iSight. Of course the Video Store rumors are all but confirmed, so expect a rename of the Music Store to something more fitting, as well as iTunes 7.0.

Definitely:
- iPod G6 (most likely 16x9)
- Movie Downloads

Possible:
- nanos (higher capacity, new look)
- iSight (higher resolution, much smaller form factor, connect to iPod)
- iPod line division (Dedicated Music iPod vs. Video iPod)
- iTunes 7.0
- Airport Express with Video (Showtime)
- New iPod Shuffle or discontinuation

Unlikely:
- iPod G6 with WiFi for mobile downloads and iChat video conferencing (with optional iSight attachment)
- High Def. movies
- MacBook Pro w/ Merom

Now for a guess of the pricing:
2 GB nano: $129.99
4 GB nano: $199.99
8 GB nano: $249.99

60 GB iPod Video: $299.99
80 GB iPod Video: $399.99"

Pretty darn close, I was off on some of the prices. :eek:
I guess I'm just a good guesser? :confused:

Edit: Originally thought it was 60 & 80 GB models introduced, guess I was off on capacity as well.

morpheus256

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2005
Katharine said:
Can we get the new ones with the school promotion?
nope, i called the store, and they will not do the new nano's with the school discount, but aparently they will do the new videos :confused:
seems kinda sly to unload the old nanos on poor students.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Nice upgrade, the color options on the small and big ones are kind of lame, but I hope they will work with a firewire to dock cable for those of us without USB 2.

Fredou51

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Katharine said:
Can we get the new ones with the school promotion?
I don't think so because if you add a computer to the cart, it says "Get a free nano.. blahblahblah" and it links to a page with the old nano model but a lower price. The pdf mail-in-rebate has also been updated with two columns, one with the old prices (ordered before sept 12) and one with the new prices (ordered after sept 12) but always with the old model.
Fred

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Google for "thread 500" and click the top match--always hilarious :)

If the new nanos played games and videos (I know--really small) I'd HAVE to buy one. So I'm glad they don't :)

The case combines the best of the Mini and Nano--all good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.