2G iPod Nano Introduced

jagolden

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2002
Nano 2G

Unpackage and set up new Nano yesterday.

Yes, the new packaging is nifty and smaller. As to ecologically better, I'm not sure. Less bulk and weight to ship, but the use of the plastic (with all its chemicals) seems like it might wash. Wouldn't have looked as nice but maybe a design similar to the Shuffle packaging (but smaller), then could have used more recycled materials. Just a thought. I don't know - I do care about the environment but don't chain myself to trees. :)

The "new" design is nice. It certainly feels solid in you hand (much as the Mini does). The 1G Nano's always had a delicate feel to them (IMO).

The screen is very bright and clear.

The center button that is now concave is a nice touch. I did not have problems with the convex button shape on earlier models but this is a good design change.

The colors are bright and saturated. Richer than on the Mini's.

The sound quality is even better than before. I was satisfied with the Mini. When I bought a Shuffle, I'd read in many places that the sound was better on the shuffle than the Mini - and it is. However, the sound on the Nano 2G is a big step up. This may be a combination of the player and the new headphone design and fit.

The new headphones definitely have better sound quality than the earlier versions. For me, they fit better. They feel nicer with the soft gasket around the edge. I had not been using the pads with the old h'phones as they came of too easily and were lost almost immediately!

I am very pleased with the purchase. Now if the accessory suppliers will catch up pronto! Even though the overall size between 1G and 2G are essentaily the same, the new "squared off" corners will probably not fit well in the 1G cases. Those 1G rounded corners shaved off a lot of space.

conradzoo

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
Tymmz said:
Bought the black one today.

Great product.
It is. Got mine yesterday. It looks fab, but above all it sounds like my old ( and broken) shuffle. And that's good. No, it's excellent.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
conradzoo said:
It is. Got mine yesterday. It looks fab, but above all it sounds like my old ( and broken) shuffle. And that's good. No, it's excellent.
Yeah, the sound is GREAT. It seems to have better sound than my previous iPods. (2nd Gen. mini, 4th and 5th Gen. iPod)

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
steve_hill4 said:
With the lack of CD with any of the iPods, does anyone know if you have to download iTunes now prior to connecting your iPod or, as one person I know suggested, you connect up the iPod and it installs from there and prompts you to do a restore after?

Just want to know for those who will be looking to buy this weekend, but do not have access to the internet yet and/or have slow dial-up.
I can't directly answer your question 'cause I had already installed iTunes 7 when I plugged in my new silver nano.
Nontheless, the weird thing is that when I first connected it I was prompted to get a software update for it: a 20+MB update that made my dial-up choke.
It seems strange that the newest product doesn't feature the latest software on it... and the only supported software AFAIK.

OTOH, the update for my 5G was a small 6MB one.