Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hypothetically, do you install iPhone 3.0 OS Beta?

• Yes, I'd like to try 3.0 out before everyone else.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • No, I'll stay jailbroken--I have the coolest features of 3.0 already.

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
So, hypothetically speaking, let's say you have a friend who's part of the developer program. Also, hypothetically speaking, this friend has added your iPhone's UDID to their account, meaning you have access to the iPhone 3.0 OS Beta. Additionally, hypothetically speaking, your phone is currently jailbroken running 2.2.1. Do you opt to try all the goodies of 3.0 ahead of everyone else, or do you opt to remain jailbroken and experience all the goodies of video recording and files system access?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Do NOT install. Safari and iPod are unusable. You CAN go back to 2.2.1 but not without minor annoyances and the updated baseband.

TexanMan05

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
So, hypothetically speaking, let's say you have a friend who's part of the developer program. Also, hypothetically speaking, this friend has added your iPhone's UDID to their account, meaning you have access to the iPhone 3.0 OS Beta. Additionally, hypothetically speaking, your phone is currently jailbroken running 2.2.1. Do you opt to try all the goodies of 3.0 ahead of everyone else, or do you opt to remain jailbroken and experience all the goodies of video recording and files system access?

Hypothetically speaking LOL. :rolleyes:

Well it depends. I left being jailbroken and updated to 3.0 but this is because I am developing for it.

If you are getting 3.0 to try out some really cool new features then honestly I would stay jailbroken.

---

iPod and Safari both work for me, YouTube however does not.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I would not suggest installing it. I tried it but had to switch back a 2 days ago. I thought it would be cool at first but everything runs so slow and there are so many bugs. Its basically unusable. I'm now also using the jailbroken 2.2.1 firmware and it is great (no bugs). I would stick with what you have.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
2.2.1 JB is definitely better.

You'll be losing a lot of features and functionality going to 3.0.

I'll definitely be waiting for dev team to release to new JB before upgrading.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Do NOT install. Safari and iPod are unusable.

That's odd I can use the iPod and Safari perfectly fine on 3.0. To answer the OP's question I would stay with JB 2.2.1. 3.0 for the most part is stable enough for everyday use but you'll lose a lot until the dev team jailbreaks 3.0. Although the features in 3.0 are awesome so when it is jailbroken it'll be amazing.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Real or hypothetical answer is still no. Too much hassle and beta expires, bugs roam free thru the OS, support isn't 100%, and let say you have a problem with the hardware of the phone and take it to Apple. What are you going to say having the beta? I mean yes you can excuse yourself, but still too much hassle.

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
It depends. Mine was only JB'd because of the unlock. I've upgraded to 3.0 and I love it. It depends on how much you use the JB apps. There's also a few minor bugs, but nothing that I haven't been able to work around.

What are you going to say having the beta?
It depends, if you're legit, say that a friend is a developer for 3.0 and that he wants to have some friends try his app out once it's ready. If you're not, you shouldn't be doing it anyway.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

The hypothetical friend shouldn't have added you to their hypothetical developer account in the first place. That said, this beta is for developers. You can safely install it on an iPhone as long as you don't rely on that iPhone working. If you use your iPhone to make phone calls, or to listen to music, or for anything else that ordinary customers use it for, don't install this software.

It depends, if you're legit, say that a friend is a developer for 3.0 and that he wants to have some friends try his app out once it's ready. If you're not, you shouldn't be doing it anyway.

The hypothetical friend doesn't need to give access to the developer program to friends that can beta test his software. All he needs is some serial number of the iPhone, put it into a list of serial numbers allowed to access the app, and you can install it on your phone (works for up to 200 iPhones).

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005

The hypothetical friend doesn't need to give access to the developer program to friends that can beta test his software. All he needs is some serial number of the iPhone, put it into a list of serial numbers allowed to access the app, and you can install it on your phone (works for up to 200 iPhones).

That's all fine and dandy if you're developing for 2.2.1 - if you're going to develop for 3.0 you need to test it on phones actually running 3.0. So, in that case, adding devices to the developer's list of people allowed to use 3.0 is necessary.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
3.0 Beta is not stable enough to run on an everyday, standard use iPhone.

I've got it on my older 2G model. YouTube doesn't work and there are still plenty of bugs still in it. Lot's of times the rotation doesn't work and there are a few memory leaks.

It's still a very nice OS though. I've not tried the iPod function yet.

lillybeth

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
Do NOT install. Safari and iPod are unusable. You CAN go back to 2.2.1 but not without minor annoyances and the updated baseband.

my safari is really nice my ipod has absolutly NO problems.. i am happy with 3.0

oh and my youtube works fine..

the search iphone feature is awesome and fast..

I was added on a devs account with my UDID and i have the 3.0 software

copy paste is nice and easy to use also.. can copy in safari and anywhere

jamesvanzandt

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
my safari is really nice my ipod has absolutly NO problems.. i am happy with 3.0

oh and my youtube works fine..

the search iphone feature is awesome and fast..

I was added on a devs account with my UDID and i have the 3.0 software

copy paste is nice and easy to use also.. can copy in safari and anywhere

i was also added on a devs account. the search doesnt always work for me, ive had problems syncing the phone, and safari is very slow. the messages application also has alot of bugs and freezes up from time to time for me. i would stay with 2.2

jcde7ago

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
San Francisco, CA
i was also added on a devs account. the search doesnt always work for me, ive had problems syncing the phone, and safari is very slow. the messages application also has alot of bugs and freezes up from time to time for me. i would stay with 2.2

This is precisely why I chose to stay with my JB'd 2.2, even though I too had access to 3.0 legitimately through a developer friend of mine. I figured, let everyone else beta test it and experience the bugs, i'll wait till it's officially released and JB'd by the dev team, cause in the meantime, what features do I need from 3.0 that my current 2.2 JB'd phone doesn't already have? Plus, even when new firmwares are officially released, I always make myself wait a week or two to see if any bugs missed during beta testing surface, as well as for the dev team's JB solution.

I'd actually consider the 3.0 beta to be a huge downgrade at this point. ;)

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
well, actually I have tested beta with my second gen. ipod touch. it is worthy to try if you have at least two devices like me. it is slow, eats lots of memory just like windows vista. but new feature is really expecting. I can't wait for official firmware coming summer. I just suggest you guys before trying it out. make sure don't try with your iphone. you never know what'll be happened. you need phone call everyday whatever. so don't try with iphone. but if you think you can handle risk, try. nobody blocks you anyway. you need also download all version of firmware in advance so that you can easily restore it manually. finally, I don't still get why people jailbreak. when it comes to this kind of situation, jailbroken is hugh problem.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009

I would like to know if that applies to the 2G iphone as well, because everyone talks about this like it screws up the 2G and the 3G....and don't forget the ipod touch :)

thewhiterabbit9

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A238j Safari/525.20)

3.0 works fine, a bit slow but it's beta. As for the new features copy and paste rules, that's how I posted this from my iPhone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.