3.5 inch lovers: Will you be boycotting the 4 inch iPhone this Fall?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Many of you have said that 3.5 was the ideal size and that you would never go any higher than that.

Are you going to stay true to your word and refuse to buy the 4 inch iPhone because it doesn't meet your requirements?

Last edited:

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
4" is about as big as I would comfortably go, so I'm fine with a 4 inch display... especially since they're talking about making it in the same footprint it has now. 4.3 and up is nuts to me.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Yeah, but what about after those are obsolete?
Dumb question as who knows what options there will be in the future when the one year old 4s is "obsolete".

When there is no longer a 3.5" options all the lovers of little screens will either throw fits or buy a larger screen device. I however don't see Apple getting rid of the 3.5" option any time soon.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, but what about after those are obsolete?
Nothing, because a 3.5 inch screen is a screen for midgets. Even the Chinese are using Android and Windows phones well over that size now, and the Koreans have the 4.8 inch Samsung Galaxy S3 coming up soon, and those people tend to have smaller hands than Europeans.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
To answer OP's question: No, I will not boycott the 4" iPhone! I will certainly get one to replace my 3.5" Android phone.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Nothing, because a 3.5 inch screen is a screen for midgets. Even the Chinese are using Android and Windows phones well over that size now, and the Koreans have the 4.8 inch Samsung Galaxy S3 coming up soon, and those people tend to have smaller hands than Europeans.
So, how will people boycott screen sizes larger than 3.5 inches (as your title implies) if there are no more 3.5" screens because "3.5 screens are for midgets"?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I prefer to keep an open mind.

Once the phone is released i will get to grips with it, excuse the pun ;) and go from there.

Interesting times ahead. :D

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
The only reason why I want a larger screen is so it's easier to use the keyboard in portrait mode.... If the screen gets bumped up to 4" by becoming 'taller', and stays the same width, then this won't resolve my gripe.

I'd be happy with 4" as long as it results in it being a bit wider.

But no, I won't boycott it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Many of you have said that 3.5 was the ideal size and that you would never go any higher than that. Are you going to stay true to your word and refuse to buy the 4 inch iPhone because it doesn't meet your requirements?
Hec no, they will run to get one and say 4" is perfect :rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If Apple has any sense they'll offer a 4.3"+ phone as well as continuing with the 3.5" one. No need to alienate anybody.

I think with a 4.3"+ phone the device size would definitely have to increase to accommodate a larger battery.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I prefer to keep an open mind.

Once the phone is released i will get to grips with it, excuse the pun ;) and go from there.

Interesting times ahead. :D
I agree. You can't make an informed decision until you can actually see the phone and hold it etc. Size is only one consideration when buying a new phone.

----------

If Apple has any sense they'll offer a 4.3"+ phone as well as continuing with the 3.5" one. No need to alienate anybody.

I think with a 4.3"+ phone the device size would definitely have to increase to accommodate a larger battery.
Apple won't do this. They will just go with one size. If people still want a smaller screen they will just sell you a 4s

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I agree. You can't make an informed decision until you can actually see the phone and hold it etc. Size is only one consideration when buying a new phone.

----------

Apple won't do this. They will just go with one size. If people still want a smaller screen they will just sell you a 4s
They sell different sizes MacBooks..why not iPhones?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Many of you have said that 3.5 was the ideal size and that you would never go any higher than that. Are you going to stay true to your word and refuse to buy the 4 inch iPhone because it doesn't meet your requirements?
Since there won't be a 4" phone, this is not going to be a concern.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
With these amazing displays why not 4" ?

I think it's the ideal size

I'm a great fan of the current size because I love my phones to be pocketable, easy to hold and comfortable on the ear as a phone. Some of the larger androids are way too big for me personally.

But 4", maybe even 4,3" max is going to be a nice upgrade for such a great touch centric display. It will also give more space for cool things like gestures and tabbed browsing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.