32-Bit Apps No Longer Supported in iOS 11

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ahead of the launch of iOS 11, there were several signs suggesting 32-bit apps would no longer be supported in the new operating system, which has been confirmed with the release of the first iOS 11 beta.

When attempting to open a 32-bit app when running iOS 11, the app refuses to launch, offering up a message that says the app needs to be updated to work with iOS 11.

[​IMG]

32-bit apps are also not available when searching in the new version of the App Store, and previously downloaded 32-bit apps can't be installed through the Purchased tab.

Over the course of the last several months, warnings about 32-bit apps have gotten increasingly dire. With the launch of iOS 10.1 in October of 2016, Apple started warning customers that older apps "may slow down your iPhone."

In January of 2017, the first iOS 10.3 beta featured an even more serious message when launching a 32-bit app, which specifically read "This app will not work with future versions of iOS."

Given the warnings, it should come as no surprise that Apple has eliminated support for 32-bit apps, but it does render many older apps that have worked for years without updates unusable. There are likely many users who continue to use 32-bit apps regularly who will be surprised to find that those apps no longer work when iOS 11 rolls out to the public.

Apple started supporting 64-bit apps when the iPhone 5s launched in September of 2013. As of June 2015, all apps and app updates must use the 64-bit architecture, so apps that are still 32-bit have not been updated in at least two years.

Current iOS 10 users can check to see if there are any 32-bit apps on their iOS devices in the Settings app. Go to General --> About --> Applications to get to the "App Compatibility" section that lists any outdated apps.

iOS 11 is only compatible with devices that feature a 64-bit chip, meaning it works with everything that has an A7 or newer chip. Specifically, iOS 11 is compatible with iPhone 5s, SE, 6 Plus, 6, 6s Plus, 6s, 7 Plus, and 7, along with the new fifth-generation iPad, the iPad Air, the iPad Air 2, all iPad Pro models, the iPad mini 2 and later, and the 6th generation iPod touch.

Article Link: 32-Bit Apps No Longer Supported in iOS 11

2. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

4. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

Well, I guess I will finally have to say goodbye to the good old AppShopper app. :(

5. tech3475 macrumors 6502

Looking at my list, Looks like Id need to repurchase some types of apps as well as losing some apps.

Ios 11 may get a bit expensive.

6. rockosmodurnlif macrumors 65816

rockosmodurnlif

So when is the appshopper app going to be updated?

7. RudySnow Suspended

RudySnow

I had a couple of games that I enjoyed playing that were 32-bit. However, I had the foresight to download them a few months ago to an iPad 2 so that I can keep playing them in perpetuity... or as long as the battery holds out! :)

8. Relentless Power, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

iPhone 5/5C and iPad 4th Generation are victims with iOS 11 , but it makes sense with 64 Bit architecture.

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

What does this mean for pre-64 bit phones like the 5 and 5c? Will all newly released apps after the release of iOS 10 not work on those devices?

10. Mitsjke macrumors member

What about my money? Purchased a few 32-bit apps a month ago.

11. usarioclave macrumors 65816

This sucks donkey balls. The apps work just fine and yes, a lot of them are paid.

12. ErikGrim macrumors 601

ErikGrim

Sadly, nowhere was it stated that you paid for perpetual support.

13. Kaizoman macrumors newbie

Kaizoman

This was specifically discussed during the State of the Union today. 32-bit deprecation wont happen until 2018. This is probably a Beta 1 issue so they can test and show what's happening.

They haven't posted the State of the Union for public viewing yet.

14. mozumder macrumors 6502a

Crap this is going to cause problems for my Flappy Bird device...

15. Aston441 macrumors 65816

As usual MR forgets the iPod Touch exists. I think even Apple forgot it exists lol. Still loving mine - And posting from it!

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Six generation iPod touch I believe is the only iPod that is still supported with 64 bit architecture.

17. Eorlas macrumors 6502a

Tried tweeting the TempoSlow dev, but no response and that app hasn't been updated in ~3 years.

Great =/

18. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

They should, as you can't update to iOS 11.

19. Michael Scrip, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

OMG... I was just gonna say that the one app I use CONSTANTLY is TempoSlow!

I teach dance so it's an important app for me. Nothing else comes close.

I've actually communicated with them a few times via email to have them add new features. I think I have a direct email address. I'll PM it to you if I find it.

I just left a comment on their website begging them to update for iOS 11

Funny... the Android version was updated in 2016:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.martianstorm.temposlowmo&hl=en

I wonder if they are giving up on the iOS version... which is a shame since 99% of the dance people I know use iPhones...

Maybe I'll pick up a cheap Android tablet or one of those burner phones just for music in class. That actually wouldn't be a bad thing since my iPhone wouldn't be tied up for music.

20. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I’m so gooood, I had only one 32-bit app: AppShopper

21. David G. macrumors 65816

The fact that Google hasn't updated Google Earth for iOS is astonishing. Why would people ever want to switch to Android if they fear they might be neglected as they are with this.

22. mw360 macrumors 65832

mw360

It's going to be tough to persuade LucasArts to update my Monkey Island special editions. :(

23. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Email the devs and tell them to get off their butts.

24. junkmail509 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately my favorite game Sparkle does not appear to be getting updated, so I might just have to take my old iPod touch out of the craigslist pile and keep it around.

25. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

Hm, I don't seem to have this option. :/