Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerfBWH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Hey guys, my iPhone 4S is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I've found myself sitting here and eagerly waiting for the 5S.

With only a year and a half worth of use with my 16GB iPhone 4S in the bag, I've found that I'm out of space. 16GB just doesn't seem like a whole lot of space anymore, at least for my relatively basic needs (I don't even keep video on here) - anybody think that there's a serious chance Apple will make 32GB of space standard on the upcoming 5S?

With storage being so cheap these days and competitors beginning to offer 32GB standard, I can't imagine not - but I figure I'd ask what you all think.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I don't think so, some people prefer to have 16 gig phone, you can always buy 32gb iphone or 64 gb :)

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I hope so. From other threads on this subject it seems like the majority of people here don't want more than 16 GB. I say if you only want 16 GB you can get one of the older models. No sense in Apple staying at 16 GB forever.

Some people think the price of the phone will go way up if Apple increases the storage. I think they are just a little too used to Apple's over inflated pricing.

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I don't think they will, altough it's nice.
Because the 5 is already more expensive if we look at both release prices off-contract ( 600 vs 679 ) and as the memory chips are decreasing in it's price.

But yeah, it's Apple. Pay a ******** get good products.. pay less and get the feeling you paid not enough for storage which true worth isn't what they sell it for.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I hope so. From other threads on this subject it seems like the majority of people here don't want more than 16 GB. I say if you only want 16 GB you can get one of the older models. No sense in Apple staying at 16 GB forever.

Some people think the price of the phone will go way up if Apple increases the storage. I think they are just a little too used to Apple's over inflated pricing.

Price increase won't happen, compare the price of 64/32/16 5's to the 64/32/16 4S's. It also amazes me how people keep claiming that 8/16GBs is enough; I for one prefer local storage and unfettered access to my media, but if you want a nice surprise on the plane when you don't have any music, more power to you.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Sure would be nice...didn't the 4S update the size of storage?
and they just added in 128GB for iPads.

I think with Retina/and all the HD (can't remember Apple's words) Cameras front and back and Video it is easy to fill up a phone.

It seems as though they did an increase every other year in size. to offset some of the lesser additions to the phone.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I think that it may be possible for 32GB to be the new standard. At first it was 4/8 so who knows. Right now with all the data caps, I wouldn't be surprised if they bump if from 16 to 32.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Some of the logic here doesn't make any sense.

If apple were to replace the 16gb with the 32gb at the same price why does it matter? If you're not going to fill it up then don't but saying I don't want more storage for the exact same price is just stupid. If 16gb is enough then don't fill up the 32 :rolleyes:.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Some of the logic here doesn't make any sense.

If apple were to replace the 16gb with the 32gb at the same price why does it matter? If you're not going to fill it up then don't but saying I don't want more storage for the exact same price is just stupid. If 16gb is enough then don't fill up the 32 :rolleyes:.

I think what they are saying, and I agree, is apple had no need to increase the base storage. Why would they charge the same for more? Eventually it will happen buy not now.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I don't see it happening with the 5S. High profit margins and access to many non-local storage alternatives is enough to prevent this change, I think.

I've always been a 32 GB guy, but when I buy my (first ever) iPhone soon, I'm gonna go with 16 GB because I realized that apps don't take up more than 5 GB on my devices; most of it is music, which I can replace with streaming services (e.g., Rdio).

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I think what they are saying, and I agree, is apple had no need to increase the base storage. Why would they charge the same for more? Eventually it will happen buy not now.

No reason... except that prices continue to come down, app sizes continue to rise, and all of their major competitors either have more storage in their base model or allow expandable storage.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
That would be nice to see, but I think what would make more sense is 16GB, 64GB and 128GB.

There really are people who can get by on 16GB. My parents both have 16GB models and have no trouble with space. So it would be kind of foolish for Apple to include that extra cost, especially when I don't think anybody else is selling 32GB phones at $199.

But people like you and I are hungry for storage. People like to talk about stuff moving to cloud storage, but they're also a little nuts if they think iCloud renders all local storage moot. You can't stream movies, TV shows or music from iCloud -- they must be downloaded to an iOS device. You also can't really stream photos. They're synced with your device. You can't stream apps.

I'm hoping to be able to afford a $399 64GB iPhone. If that model drops to $299 and a 128GB model is unveiled at $399, I'm not sure what I'll do. I miss the 64GB of storage I had on my iPad 2.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
That would be nice to see, but I think what would make more sense is 16GB, 64GB and 128GB.

There really are people who can get by on 16GB. My parents both have 16GB models and have no trouble with space. So it would be kind of foolish for Apple to include that extra cost, especially when I don't think anybody else is selling 32GB phones at $199.

What extra cost are you talking about? ...or don't you realize how cheap the storage actually is/ how much Apple is ripping the customers off?

There are rumors that the HTC One is to be released at $200 (with contract) and it will ship with 32GB storage.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
What do you mean some people prefer to have a 16 gig phone? They prefer the cheapest model offered.

If Apple's entry level phone is 32gb, then wouldn't that be the phone they prefer?

No, for me 16 gig is more than enough, I don't need 32 gig.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I can't imagine that happening. after all, it's Apple we're talking about here. they didn't improve either the CPU or the RAM from the 2G to the 3G. they didn't increase the RAM from 4 to 4S. their motto seems to be "as much as is necessary, as little as is possible". maybe they'll surprise us all, but I doubt it.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i don't see it happening with the 5s. in terms of storage capacity, i think most people fall under three groups. the first group of people are happy or will make do with the cheapest model. they don't need the phone to hold a million songs or gigabytes of video. a couple songs maybe, but really just enough to hold pictures and apps. the second group of people are those who can't be satisfied by any storage capacity available. they will always buy the biggest they can, and they'll load their phones with all their crap and will complain that it isn't enough. the former group will always gravitate towards the lower price point, and the latter group will lean towards the higher end regardless of capacity.

and then there's the third group, the middle group, consisting of those who realize they need a little bit more storage but are either unwilling to pay for the highest capacity model or know they won't ever surpass the second tier storage. now if the 32 gb model were to become the new low end, i think most of the people in the middle group would move over to the first group. and all of a sudden, the average selling price of the iphone drops almost a hundred dollars. so no, i don't think we'll see the 32 gb model in the low end for the 5s.

rex3

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
With 16gb of flash currently selling for about $12 (retail), Apple's pricing scheme for the iPhone is very hard to swallow. They charge $100 more for 16gb of additional storage, which must wholesale for under $10, meaning that they're getting $90 in pure profit there. The current top end 64 gb model sells for $200 additional, meaning that apple clears $170 in profit for $30 additional cost.

I think this pricing scheme is unconscionable, and it will drive people away if they don't revise it with the 5s release.

With the 5s, I expect them to either lower the price of the larger capacity phones (selling perhaps at a more reasonable $199/249/299) OR increase the storage capacities and keep the prices the same (offering 32/64/128 at the current $199/299/399 price points). Without a major redesign--which I highly doubt--I think apple will have to go down this path instead.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
"I think this pricing scheme is unconscionable, and it will drive people away if they don't revise it with the 5s release"

You got to be kidding. Unconscionable ? Drive people away if they don't revise it ? Where have you been ? Apple is in it to make money. Period....People will not be driven away. Just like another poster who wrote that Apple is doomed if they don't go wider on the next phone. Give us a break. You people that say these silly things about Apple.. Heard these doom and gloom posts for many a year now and Apple does not change, so get use to it or go else where....

Why not continue to offer 16 GB ? Why not even offer 8 GB for those that don't need that much, and Apple can offer these amounts to save a little bit for us ?

If you want 32 GB just buy that model. Yes, it cost a bit more, but that's their business model to make money. ;)

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
I hope so, but I don't think they will, at least this will not happen on iPhone 5s, some people prefer to have 16GB phone, just because it offers at a cheaper price. If you find your phone can't meet your basic needs, just get the 32gb iphone or 64 gb.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I have my doubts, but it's something to consider for Apple, as HTC is releasing the HTC One at $199 for the 32GB model and $299 for the 64GB model. Plus the 16GB model of the iPod touch is no longer available and is now only 32GB and 64GB. 32GB could very well be the 16GB model replacement , but who knows if the price will match the current iPhone 16GB model.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
No reason... except that prices continue to come down, app sizes continue to rise, and all of their major competitors either have more storage in their base model or allow expandable storage.

How many of the competitors offer 32gb for $200 on contract? If more storage is needed the customer will choose a higher storage phone, as they have been doing.

----------

I hope so, but I don't think they will, at least this will not happen on iPhone 5s, some people prefer to have 16GB phone, just because it offers at a cheaper price. If you find your phone can't meet your basic needs, just get the 32gb iphone or 64 gb.

Which is what people do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.