32GB - the new standard for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For the same $199 price?
    That would be great but I dont think it will happen.

2. irDigital0l Guest

keep thinking...i mean dreaming

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I must admit, with larger and larger apps, high definition photography, a 16GB iphone seems too small for entry level now, but I said that about the iPad...Start at 32 and go to 128GB but that didn't happen. There will still be people who don't use many apps and just want the Iphone for it's features. 16GB is fine for them.

I have a 64 4S at present, and would not hesitate to buy a 128GB iPhone (or iPad) if one were to be introduced on release day.

I think the ipad is the more likely candidate for more storage though.

4. M87 macrumors 65816

Would be nice, but I really don't think so. 16GB is still serviceable for many, many people. Maybe they'll lower the price for additional storage?

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I was always about the lowest amount of storage (for price purposes) until I purchased the 4S 32GB (because 16 was out of stock and I wanted it THEN) with the improvement of the pic/video I take so many more - which has caused me to fill up the 32GB space - I really hope the 5 starts at 32.

Like others have said - 16 seems most likely.

6. polotska macrumors 6502

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Yeah right.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I don't think we'll see any storage changes this release.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

They bumped the storage last year. Not happening again this year.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

They just added a 64 GB, they didn't lower prices on the current capacities. That's what the OP is asking.

Here are some graphs of flash memory prices, from a bit before the 4S release till now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is that enough of a drop to compel Apple to move to 32/64 GB? I have no idea, but it is interesting that the 64 has essentially halved in price from last summer. A $299 64 GB would be insanely great, but I don't think it'll happen quite yet.

Of course, if Apple really wanted to, they could increase the capacities irrespective of the price drops--they already have insane profit margins.

11. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I remember when the first iPhone was released back in 2007 and 4GB was the entry model. I know some people who bought a 4GB iPhone and still have it somewhere. The funny thing is that these same people only buy the cheapest model when ever a new iPhone is released thinking that it's more than enough. Yup, 4GB original iPhone then upgraded to a 16GB iPhone 4. :confused:

I bought the original 8GB iPhone and it wasn't enough memory at the time for me. In fact, my 32GB iPhone 4 isn't enough for the stuff I have on it. In any case, I'll probably go with a 64GB or 128GB iPhone (assuming those are released).

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Thanks for doing the research. I was too lazy this year. Good info.

13. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I'd be very surprised if we see a 128 GB model. Though the chips are in production, so it's possible.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Question is, what is their cost relative to 64GB this time last year?

15. crewpride macrumors member

Considering the cost of memory has come down, and the fact that with each subsequent iPhone release photos and videos take up significantly more space, we amass more and more apps and music, and there is no removable storage, it will be pretty disappointing if the base storage isn't bumped up to 32GB.

Not that I'd be surprised if they don't, this is apple after all. But it's the fair thing to do. If the galaxy s3 can have removable sd cards, apple can at least stop gouging us on memory and transition to a 32/64 option instead of 16/32.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It'll only happen if the price of a 128GB chip is the same price as a 64GB chip was last year...etc...etc.

17. Cougarcat macrumors 604

That, and, are they available in the vast quantities Apple would need? I think 64 GB NAND came out in early 2010, which is far before the 4S release than the new 128 GB is to the new iPhone.

Not necessarily. They could go back to having two models, 32 and 64 this time, with no 128 til next year.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Thats what the etc, etc was for. ;)

19. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I wouldn't think Apple would want to rule out some of their customer base who neither can afford or need a 32gb + storage capacity.

I've always had more than enough space with 16gb fit my usage.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It would be a nice move, but don't count on it. There's a chance the expanded body size will allow more space for storage, but I'm guessing the 32GB standard would start on the iPad first. I have a 32GB iPad and WOW it is never enough. I have an entire slew of apps I don't have loaded because I just don't have room with games such as FIFA 12 taking up 1.4GB and my 5GB of photos. Get into buying magazines on there and you might be able to hold the latest issue of each one.

People don't do as much of those things on the iPhone, so I'm guessing Apple will decide it's OK to stick with 16GB for another year. That's the model I have and I -- barely -- make it work. But at some point with the 1080p videos, the 256k audio, the universal apps that have four different resolutions, etc., we need to has more storage.

21. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

That's the same thing that happened to me! They only ever had 32GB models in stock, so I thought I may as well just get it, particularly as my 16GB iPad is full. I've used 18GB atm, and I'm glad I got it. However, I still don't think they'll get rid of the 16GB model, it's fine for many people.

22. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

If there's any change to the camera resolution on the upcoming phone, I would certainly hope the base model has a solid 32GB of storage. HTC was able to push out a 32GB base model, which now sells at $99 on contract.

23. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I hope so, but probably not.

32 GB NEEDS to be the baseline storage capacity for the iPad 3. The app sizes on there are twice as large.

24. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Every iPhone except for the 4S has been available in two size capacities: 8 GB and 16 GB or 16 GB and 32 GB depending on the model.

The 4S was the first to offer three. So it could be possible, with the price decreases in flash memory for us to seem them offer a 32 GB model for $199.99 ($649.99 Unsubsidized) and a 64 GB model for $299.99 ($749.99 Unsubsidized)

It could happen, a 64 GB micro SD card is only $70-$80 now... I highly doubt there will be a 128 GB iPhone this year.