Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently released a redesigned Siri Remote with a physical clickpad, but if you have an original Siri Remote laying around that you still plan on using, you may be interested in getting an AirTag case for the remote.

3d-printed-airtag-case-siri-remote.jpeg

PrintSpired Designs has capitalized on the opportunity with a new 3D printed, made-to-order AirTag case for the original Siri Remote. The remote slides into the top side of the case, while an AirTag can be placed into an opening on the bottom, allowing the location of the remote to be tracked in the Find My app on Apple devices.

As a 3D printed case, the design of the remote is bound to look a little rough around the edges, but PrintSpired Designs says the remote fits snugly and securely and that the AirTag satisfyingly clicks into place on the bottom. The case is printed with hard PLA plastic, with black, white, or glow-in-the-dark versions to choose from. There is a cutout for a Lightning cable to be connected for charging without removing the case.

3d-printed-airtag-case-siri-remote-colors.jpg

Another thing to keep in mind is that, due to the orientation of the AirTag in the case, the loudness of the built-in speaker may be reduced.

The case is priced at $12.99 on the PrintSpired Designs website, or you can buy the STL file for $1.99 and 3D print your own.

Article Link: 3D-Printed Case Lets You Attach an AirTag to Your Apple TV Remote

Last edited:

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The remote itself should have been compatible with FindMy, assuming it isn't.

Also, will AirTags be a good solution for this since we now know the tracking ability can't be shared among family members? Seems like a remote-finding solution should respond to a request from anyone in the household.

DocNo

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
It's still unbelievable to me the new remote doesn't have the W1/Airtag functionality built in.

Remotes and mice. What is it about Apple where they just don't get things that people hold to interact with UIs? The trackpad is the only physical UI device Apple has clear superiority in - and that may be more to synaptics than them ?

davidjschloss

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
Since this is already sold out on Etsy, here's another Etsy seller with a similar idea. I actually like this better as it makes the bottom of the case thicker than the top, which will help with making sure you're holding it the right way.

Note: I'm not affiliated with this seller at all, just searched when I saw the original was sold out.

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
these things really need to be SLA prints and not filament based. Not befitting of an apple product to have such rough surfaces, imo.

Reactions: Surfer13134

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Remotes and mice. What is it about Apple where they just don't get things that people hold to interact with UIs? The trackpad is the only physical UI device Apple has clear superiority in - and that may be more to synaptics than them ?
Yeah, Apple's interface devices are always 100% hit or miss. We've had things like the iMac G# hockeypuck mouse, the resistive Newton screen, the Magic Mouse, and the trackpad Siri Remote.

But we've also had things like the original mouse, the iPod click wheel, the iPhone and iPad screens, their laptop and wireless trackpads, and the first couple (and most recent) Apple remotes.

DocNo

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, Apple's interface devices are always 100% hit or miss. We've had things like the iMac G# hockeypuck mouse, the resistive Newton screen, the Magic Mouse, and the trackpad Siri Remote.

At least text selection on the Newton worked 100% of the time. Yup, it required a stylus - but it was FUNCTIONAl. I stil regret selling my 110 and have narrowly missed a few deals on 120's over the years. Oh well, maybe one day I'll snag another one. The Newton got a lot of things right - it still boggles my mind it was only until recently that notes could help straighten up drawn circles and squares, for example. I used that all the time when sketching on my Newton.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
At least text selection on the Newton worked 100% of the time. Yup, it required a stylus - but it was FUNCTIONAl. I stil regret selling my 110 and have narrowly missed a few deals on 120's over the years. Oh well, maybe one day I'll snag another one. The Newton got a lot of things right - it still boggles my mind it was only until recently that notes could help straighten up drawn circles and squares, for example. I used that all the time when sketching on my Newton.
Huh, it kinda makes me wonder how much of this was fueled by Apple's desire to avoid comparisons between iOS devices and the Newton. In hindsight, it'd explain Apple's heavy anti-stylus marketing when the iPhone was first introduced. Then when the iPad came out, they just omitted features that were most memorable from the Newton.

DocNo

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
does the airtag notify you about low battery?
For itself, yes. It doesn't about the remote - no way for it to talk to really, and the remote reports it's battery status to ATV/iOS devices anyway so that would be redundant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.