3D Touch in iPhone 6s is a 'Breakthrough,' Was 'Really Hard' to Make

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 9, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today spent about ten minutes introducing 3D Touch as one of the headline features of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, but a new Bloomberg interview with company executives Jony Ive, Craig Federighi, Phil Schiller and Alan Dye reveals that Apple spent several years working on the challenging new display technology.
    Schiller noted that, from an engineering standpoint, creating hardware that is capable of 3D Touch's functionality was "unbelievably hard," coming at a "tremendous amount of cost and investment in manufacturing" for Apple. For that reason, the company had to ensure it got the technology right.

Accordingly, Apple set out to do just that.

And, after a multi-year, tedious design process, Apple is now satisfied with 3D Touch.
    The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus also feature a faster A9 chip with an embedded M9 motion coprocessor, improved 12-megapixel rear-facing camera with 4K video recording, faster Touch ID, stronger glass and Series 7000 aluminum, Live Photos, always-on Hey Siri and more.

Bloomberg's longform How Apple Built 3D Touch article is a worthwhile read.

Article Link: 3D Touch in iPhone 6s is a 'Breakthrough,' Was 'Really Hard' to Make

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

This just looks so much better than the Apple Watch implementation.

3. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

3D touch + iOS9 + Buy thru Apple every year? Yes pleez. :)

4. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I think it may be hard for the non-techy to catch on to, but I may be wrong. I think it's a really neat idea, but I question its actual usefulness. Okay, peak into a text conversation. How hard is it to tap the conversation and then tap the back arrow?

But it has a lot of potential in third party apps.

5. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

great. i mean, i guess? right? this is the next thing we didn't know we needed until apple said we did. good work sir ive and team.

6. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

I'm looking forward to getting it in my hands.

7. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Well, Apple needed a good feature to sell people on buying another iPhone. Most people I know w/ the 6 or 6+ are not moving over. I am one of the only few doing so from the 6+ to the 6S+. I look forward to it. On the fence regarding buying an Apple Watch. I think it looks cool, but not that "killer" feature I was expecting. It was a safe upgrade. Now, I want to know the RAM.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

thats the rub right there. third party apps will they have access right away will they use it? every new thing is so slow to get going with apple. siri and touch id homekit and so forth.

9. profets macrumors 601

Crazy, I thought this (and force touch on the watch) was really just seeing the surface area of the thumb/finger print increasing that caused it to know it was a press/force touch. Also interesting how they worked with Corning when they were also investing into Sapphire production.

It looks like there's many more interesting use cases on iOS than Mac. I find it quite exciting. Short cuts on apps from the home screen, additional gestures, pressing while swiping back to change between apps, etc. TONS of usefulness here I'd say.

10. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

I've been replying to android fanboys all day that this is not like a long-hold press on their samsung phone.

11. skwirl341 macrumors member

How will anyone know what they can and can't "3D Touch?" Will every app have to come with a manual that we read ahead of time? Are we supposed to 3D Touch everything we see to try to figure it out with every app?

12. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Almost every device I have, I didn't know I needed till Apple told me I did. Now I do need them. I mean really need them. Right?

13. nutjob macrumors 6502a

14. gugy macrumors 68030

gugy

As UI designer this 3D Touch tech opens huge realm of possibilities for navigation.
    Just this feature alone makes the iPhone worth.
    Can't wait to see it on the iPad.

15. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

This is incredible. The engineering behind it. Wow.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

if it is implemented well and not locked down by apple for awhile history has shown that it could go either way.

17. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

3D touch is the single feature that tempts me to upgrade my, otherwise great, iPhone 6.

18. Fondaparinux macrumors member

I don't understand why they didn't just stick with Force Touch - they already established a brand name used in Apple Watch and MacBooks, it makes no sense to change it.

19. ShawnF macrumors regular

Glad to see Apple squeezed in the optical stabilization feature into the smaller iPhone 6S. As a heavy photo and video user, that's gonna be the killer feature for me. #ByeBlurryPics

20. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

Waiting for Samsung S Force, a blatant ripoff of 3D touch.

21. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I think Apple doesn't want to focus on the word 'force', which may motivate users to press the screen too hard.

22. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Not to be a nag, but when I read about how hard it was to get right I'm almost expecting that they will have problems as well. I'm not only thinking about how the sensors will fare over the long term, but also how it will interact with a plethora of screen protectors and other aftermarket items.

23. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Maybe because Huawei already introduced a phone with what they are calling "Force Touch"? Maybe Apple couldn't trademark Force Touch the way they wanted to but no one had "3D Touch"? Or maybe they didn't want people to "force" their thumb through the new glass ;)

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

looks awesome, but we'll see when i see it in person

25. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

3D touch, especially the pop aspect, looks like it has a lot of lag in the experience. I can see people peeking, releasing, and tapping rather than waiting for the pop simply because time spent waiting is longer than time spend engaged in a behavior.