Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone6s-3dtouch-250x279.jpg
Apple today spent about ten minutes introducing 3D Touch as one of the headline features of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, but a new Bloomberg interview with company executives Jony Ive, Craig Federighi, Phil Schiller and Alan Dye reveals that Apple spent several years working on the challenging new display technology.
"Ultimately, this is our focus," says Ive, squeezing a new iPhone 6S. "This is what galvanizes our efforts right across the company." And 3D Touch, he adds with emphasis, "is something we've been working on for a long time--multi, multi, multi years."
Schiller noted that, from an engineering standpoint, creating hardware that is capable of 3D Touch's functionality was "unbelievably hard," coming at a "tremendous amount of cost and investment in manufacturing" for Apple. For that reason, the company had to ensure it got the technology right.

Accordingly, Apple set out to do just that.
Working with Corning, Apple created pliable iPhone cover glass. Swipe it, and the phone works the way it always has. But press it, and 96 sensors embedded in the backlight of the retina display measure microscopic changes in the distance between themselves and the glass. Those measurements then get combined with signals from the touch sensor to make the motion of your finger sync with the image on screen. [...]

To make what is counterintuitive feel normal, each on-screen "peek" and "pop" is accompanied by a 10-millisecond or 15-millisecond haptic tap, little vibrations that say "good job" to your fingers when an action is complete.

And, after a multi-year, tedious design process, Apple is now satisfied with 3D Touch.
Apple is feeling confident enough that it's integrated 3D Touch into everything on the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus--the phone, the weather app, iTunes, messaging, and the Web. Facebook and Instagram plan on incorporating it into their iOS apps shortly after the phones arrive in stores on Sept. 25.
The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus also feature a faster A9 chip with an embedded M9 motion coprocessor, improved 12-megapixel rear-facing camera with 4K video recording, faster Touch ID, stronger glass and Series 7000 aluminum, Live Photos, always-on Hey Siri and more.

Bloomberg's longform How Apple Built 3D Touch article is a worthwhile read.

Article Link: 3D Touch in iPhone 6s is a 'Breakthrough,' Was 'Really Hard' to Make

Reactions: uid15

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I think it may be hard for the non-techy to catch on to, but I may be wrong. I think it's a really neat idea, but I question its actual usefulness. Okay, peak into a text conversation. How hard is it to tap the conversation and then tap the back arrow?

But it has a lot of potential in third party apps.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Well, Apple needed a good feature to sell people on buying another iPhone. Most people I know w/ the 6 or 6+ are not moving over. I am one of the only few doing so from the 6+ to the 6S+. I look forward to it. On the fence regarding buying an Apple Watch. I think it looks cool, but not that "killer" feature I was expecting. It was a safe upgrade. Now, I want to know the RAM.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I think it may be hard for the non-techy to catch on to, but I may be wrong. I think it's a really neat idea, but I question its actual usefulness. Okay, peak into a text conversation. How hard is it to tap the conversation and then tap the back arrow?

thats the rub right there. third party apps will they have access right away will they use it? every new thing is so slow to get going with apple. siri and touch id homekit and so forth.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Working with Corning, Apple created pliable iPhone cover glass.

Crazy, I thought this (and force touch on the watch) was really just seeing the surface area of the thumb/finger print increasing that caused it to know it was a press/force touch. Also interesting how they worked with Corning when they were also investing into Sapphire production.

It looks like there's many more interesting use cases on iOS than Mac. I find it quite exciting. Short cuts on apps from the home screen, additional gestures, pressing while swiping back to change between apps, etc. TONS of usefulness here I'd say.

Reactions: filmantopia

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
It looks like there's many more interesting use cases on iOS than Mac. I find it quite exciting. Short cuts on apps from the home screen, additional gestures, pressing while swiping back to change between apps, etc. TONS of usefulness here I'd say.
if it is implemented well and not locked down by apple for awhile history has shown that it could go either way.

ShawnF

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
Glad to see Apple squeezed in the optical stabilization feature into the smaller iPhone 6S. As a heavy photo and video user, that's gonna be the killer feature for me. #ByeBlurryPics

Reactions: BlueParadox

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
I don't understand why they didn't just stick with Force Touch - they already established a brand name used in Apple Watch and MacBooks, it makes no sense to change it.
I think Apple doesn't want to focus on the word 'force', which may motivate users to press the screen too hard.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Not to be a nag, but when I read about how hard it was to get right I'm almost expecting that they will have problems as well. I'm not only thinking about how the sensors will fare over the long term, but also how it will interact with a plethora of screen protectors and other aftermarket items.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I don't understand why they didn't just stick with Force Touch - they already established a brand name used in Apple Watch and MacBooks, it makes no sense to change it.

Maybe because Huawei already introduced a phone with what they are calling "Force Touch"? Maybe Apple couldn't trademark Force Touch the way they wanted to but no one had "3D Touch"? Or maybe they didn't want people to "force" their thumb through the new glass ;)

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
3D touch, especially the pop aspect, looks like it has a lot of lag in the experience. I can see people peeking, releasing, and tapping rather than waiting for the pop simply because time spent waiting is longer than time spend engaged in a behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.