3G - Cracks in Plastic Housing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dogheadboy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. slicecom macrumors 68020

***** ******* ******! How is this guy not perma-banned yet!?

2. xploit macrumors regular

Did you really just say lordy? Anyway it's not spamming it's the truth as it unfolds in front of you. They made this phone with cheap materials and loosened the specs of manufacturing. The phone out of the box has been sited with cracks, uneven mounted glass, poor seals, weak buttons and even a screen that is yellow in tint when compared to the original. Notice I'm not even bringing up the new 2.0.

X-

3. slate1 macrumors regular

That doesn't make it a "budget" model -that makes it manufacturing / engineering problem. "Budget" implies that it's an inexpensive toy - the fact of the matter is the phone costs truly the same - AT&T is just picking up part of the tab for you... at least that's what AT&T wants you to think anyway (adding up the true cost of ownership over 2 years will make you think twice on this).

4. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Look at this guys post history :eek::eek:

Just by saying "the iPhone is budget" very often doesn't make it true. It just makes us annoyed. :mad:

The iPhone's build and software quality is definitely superior to phones in the similar price category.

5. slicecom macrumors 68020

It's manufactured in China, just like the original. Apple's quality control sucks, but that doesn't make the 3G "budget". Cracks, eneven glass poor seals and weak buttons are quality control issues, NOT indications of a cheapened phone. The yellow screen was intentional, and is MORE accurate and true to life than the blue screen of the original. They can easily adjust the colour of the phone with a firmware upgrade.

6. xploit macrumors regular

Why would I be banned? That's so un-American of you! I have an opinion and it is relevant. I will never understand why people get so offended by another Apple customer who is critical of a product. In this country people have a freedom to express their opinion. You are clearly part of a bigger problem but that is definitely another story. The reason I am so vocal in regards to this product is because I want Apple to take notice and make some changes. I think that these issues are so self evident that it amazes me that there could still be so many people giving it praise. I love Apple stuff but I want them to stay with quality and good design. So take it easy my man and don't be so insecure.

Peace

X-

7. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

That was a software setting and they corrected it. It has nothing to do with build.

The exposure that the iPhone gets makes it inevitable that defective phones get more visibility too. How many nokia's do you think break or are being sold defective on a daily basis? Exactly, we don't see that, because noone on the internet discusses these phones.

8. dougas macrumors newbie

Remember White MacBook cracks...

All of the cracks I have seen so far are identical to the cracks that appeared all over white MacBooks way back in 06. Same plastic? My MacBoom had x 2 case swaps before it stopped cracking up!!!

I have a black iPhone and no cracks as yet.

Didn't really happen to black MacBooks either.

Do a Google image search for cracked macbook cracks, and hey presto same cracks.

9. xploit macrumors regular

When I say BUDGET I mean that even though Apple is actually getting more money for this model they are using cheaper materials and to make matters worse, cheapened quality control. I am in no way saying that this phone is budget in cost to the consumer.

ALSO when I first came to this site it was because of the original iPhone and if you can find my earliest posts they were all very positive towards the phone. The 3G though is a letdown.

X-

10. slicecom macrumors 68020

Good thing I'm not American.

If you want Apple to take notice, write to Apple. They're not going to look on a rumour site and take your flamebait posts seriously. Yes, there are quality control issues with most of Apple's products, this is a bi-product of manufacturing in China. It has nothing to do with the iPhone 3G being "budget".

I'm VERY secure and happy with my iPhone 3G. I had dust under the screen of the one I got on launch day (I guess it was a budget model :rolleyes: ), and exchanged it for this flawless one. My suspicion is that YOU'RE the insecure one that probably purchased a 1st gen iPhone and have developed an inferiority complex, probably due to the iPhone 3G's superior looks and speed, and are trying to compensate by trying to convince yourself and everyone else that the 1st gen iPhone is superior. Nobody is buying it, I wish you'd stop spamming up the forums.

If you REALLY believe the 1st gen is so much better, than by all means, continue to enjoy it, but please stop with these stupid posts.

11. yoshe200 macrumors member

So how does calling something budget item over and over help with the issue?
    Clearly issue is quality control not because the phone costs less.
    There are plenty of cheaper Apple items that have great quality.

12. slate1 macrumors regular

... I understand your intention - but, calling it a "budget" model doesn't do anything but put the onus on the purchaser, not Apple; i.e. "it's a BUDGET model, what did you expect when you buy a budget model???" People aren't going to naturally see it the way you're apparently intending it when you phrase it the way you've repeatedly phrased it.

13. neggie macrumors newbie

so anyone thinks with all these complaints about 3g reception, the cracks, ext that apple would recall these?? Software wise yeah thats is fixable with a update what u all think? BTW im new to the forums and new to apple product so yeah im a newbie on the apple side of thinks lol

14. xploit macrumors regular

I suppose your right. I applaud your fair response.

X-

15. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Welcome to the Mac Rumors forums.

Regarding a re-call, I doubt it.

Apple have problems with almost all of their products in some form or another, it's mostly down to quality control and the fact the manufacture takes place abroad, sometimes, without supervision.

Having said that, I am pleased to report my iPhone 3G white has no cracks or stress marks. Neither did my previous white model, which was exchanged due to a extremely defective battery.

R-Fly

16. slicecom macrumors 68020

x2

Not to mention that Apple likes to push the limits with their designs. For example, I'm sure any other company would have made the iPhone 3G out of thicker plastic, making it slightly more bulky, but Steve Jobs probably demanded that it be thinner than the original, which is why the plastic is so thin and it's tapered to give the effect that it's thinner.

When you have such razor thin margins for error, mistakes can easily be made (if the plastic resin isn't mixed JUST right, it could crack etc...).

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Seeing the placement of these cracks almost seems to solidfy the theory that the part of the back that the iPhone rests on when on a surface is made of a harder material that won't break - look at the Will It Blend video and you'll understand...

I only say this because the cracks are forming around where that is and even parallel to an edge between the two materials.

18. neggie macrumors newbie

What was defective of the battery. I notice i can charge mine with EVERYTHING turned off mind you and will have to charge it later that night again so basicly i have to charge it everynight. thats my only issue with it as well has the laggy as well OS but assuming that will be fixed on an update

19. ad hoc macrumors newbie

My less than 1 week-old Black

I've noticed a small crack between the headphone jack and the chrome bezel (the thinnest part of the plastic back) on my less than 1 week old Black... Honestly not too worried about it as long as I don't get others that I can see without a bright flashlight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

That sucks. I hope it's just a bad batch. I've had mine since day one and no cracks as of yet. I use the headphones but not alot.

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Damn, that flashlight shows off the dust, doesn't it?

22. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I havent dropped mine or anything at all and I noticed a few "chips" as if I dropped it, its weird, all on the bottom of the iPhone, both near the external speaker area

23. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm not as hard on my phones but no cracks in mine. I have been using it for 2 weeks with Agent 18 case on it from day one...phone sits in my pocket all day. Headphones are in and out all day....I use the phone primarily for data so I'm mashing on the screen all day as well.

24. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

As a person who use both a case and the film, I take great offense to being called a tool because I don't share YOUR opinion. First of all people use cases for all kinds of phones, to carry them, protect them etc.... They are all finished products. Putting them in a case does not make one a tool. As for the film. Some of us like the anti glare film because it hides fingerprints on the glass. Again this is a personal preference. I respect the fact that you don't like or use these products, but flaming people and insulting them doesn't lend credence to your arguments, some of which are very valid, it makes you look petty and uninformed. Too bad as well for I agree with a lot of your arguments, I just can't get past the miles of attitude. :D

25. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I certainly hope that Apple learned from the mistakes with the Macbooks and fixed the cracking problem. As I said, I've had a white 16GB since day one and have seen no cracks. It may be misplaced hope, but I can't help and hope that this is fairly isolated and a bad batch. Only time will tell. :eek: