3G - Cracks in Plastic Housing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dogheadboy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I have had my phone in the sun actually, whenever I notice it getting warm I do I try to cover it.

But it's a cellphone, it should be able to handle exposure to outside without cracking, all my previous phones did and same goes for all my previous ipods. No product should be doing this after 2 weeks.

2. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

I agree, but we are also trying to establish the cause here, so others can try to avoid getting the same result.

3. gmtkyfcs macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I just took mine back to Apple and they replaced it no questions asked.

I wish someone would mod the old case with the new inner workings of the 3g.

Ben Heck where are you on this one?

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

SUE!!!

I wonder if this will work for cell phones.. there really are jeweled cell phones though so I wonder what the precedent will be

5. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Americans..it figures:p

Good luck spending your money on an expensive lawyer. Of course you will get millions in damages because your phone has cracks and you didn't go to AT&T to exchange it...:rolleyes:

note: this was meant cynical. The idea is totally ridiculous of course.

6. Twenty5 macrumors regular

Dissapointed..... Sad news.......

Mine has many small hairline cracks around some of the ports and camera....... they are only visible through macro lens though.... hope they dont get worse......

Btw i suggest any of you to check your iphone with macro lens... im pretty sure all of them are cracked one way or the other. Is just that you dont see them under normal use.... if you inspect them CLOSELY though... you will find them out.

Sorry about that.... and i have no idea what to do now... just freaking got my whitey today and this thread/post came up straight at my face.......

7. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I got my iPhone G3 from an ATT store near me on the 21st. I have the white one and so far, no cracks. I do baby it, but it looks like it could be caused by holding it too tight. I'm sure the tech is packed in there and the potentially flawed case just splits from gripping it...maybe.

I bought this:

http://www.dlo.com/Products/JJ_iPhone3G_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=1217442513103528

It's cheap, not great. Since I found the phone rather slippery this gives it a nice grip. I got the black one. Yeah, it covers the nice looking white phone, but it's mainly to protect against scratches and bumps and to help from keeping the phone from sliding around on my passenger seat or out of my hands. Since I couldn't find a case I liked right away, I got this for now, but it's working out well.

8. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Where can I get a macro lens?

9. Twenty5 macrumors regular

Wow.... now we cant even hold our iPhones up high with pride??..... i miss my 1 Gen Aluminum iPhone.......

Fail Apple..... Fail.

10. Twenty5 macrumors regular

I have a set of macro lens for my camera, if you dont, a simple point-and-shoot digital camera should have a "Macro" (or a flower) mode. Switch it on and focus it around the areas where cracks seem to be developing in all of our white iPhones...... just make sure to focus it very closely. DO NOT ZOOM.

Macro mode is meant to take very detailed things of a subject at a close distance (most of the time).... so yea... make sure to grab a camera and check it out.

11. wronski macrumors 6502

I can't wait to see people walking into Apple Stores lugging microscopes along with them.

12. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

holding too tight, exposed to the sun, some people are acting like the ones with cracks never owned a phone or a gadget before and somehow they are using it wrong.
    No we're not using it wrong, we're using it just as it was intended to be used.
    These problems are because of a defect or poor quality/wrong type of materials used.
    If apple didn't expect people to use their iphones in the sun, or hold it with enough grip so that it doesn't slip and fall, then they must have recently stuck their heads up their a**es. I don't think that's the case though, I just think the material was overlooked either for all the 3g iphones, or maybe just a batch. Either way, poor materials, poor product testing, somewhere apple is at fault here.

13. Twenty5 macrumors regular

Thats what i was thinking about actually haha....

Well you cant really blame us (the consumers) for this.... we bought these babies with our hard earned money and to see that they do crack in less than a week is just plain blasphemy in my opinion....

I was a happy 1st Gen iPhone user..... and when they announced the 3G I personally thought that it was going to be THE top of the line 3G phone of the market. I guess i was wrong...... of course this is a "cosmetic" problem... but are honestly going to tell me that you are not going to feel bad about it when you KNOW that those cracks DO exist?........ i mean.. from the bottom of your heart??

it does hurt...... maybe im just a geek.....(?)

14. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I have the white iPhone and no visible cracks. When I get home from work I will look at it with the macro lens and let everyone know about the results. hopefully none! Thanks for the help!

15. wronski macrumors 6502

I guess it depends on whether or not these hair-line cracks actually affect anything other than appearance.

16. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

+1 but I am hoping for the bad batch, not the complete line. As I said, millions of phones sold only a relative few thus far noticing cracks. We can hope! Knock on wood.

17. glanv macrumors regular

Sensible reply!

It seems to me most people are not satisfied with the build quality of the new phone and rightly so! Although we could just be hearing from those who are the casualties - all the other owners are sat enjoying their new gadget! Although (again!), Apple are seeming to be very quick in just handing over replacements. I know their customer service is excellent but this seems a little too excellent. Maybe they know there's a problem??

18. xploit macrumors regular

I just checked my original under a mantis viewer ( 8x mag used for circuit board testing/ control) and I found NO cracks at all on the plastic back. I have also dropped my phone many many times from various heights and onto various hard surface. What I'm getting at is that the 3G for sure won't be able to handle that and also there must be significant differences in the plastic back of the original vs. the 3G.

X-

19. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

A problem is discovered with the new 3G iPhone and people are so quick to jump out and say:

"I'm glad I stayed my aluminum original iPhone!"
    "Who needs 3G anyway!"
    "At least this metal backing won't crack!"

Too funny.

I think those people are just trying to make themselves feel better because they have the older phone.

You know darn well if there was a 1:1 swap from Apple you'd do it in a heartbeat.

As for the cracking, I wonder if it's a certain batch, mine is a week 29, that's a post launch date (purchased on 7/21).

20. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Just discovered a hairline crack next to the headphone jack. :(

I can live with it if it doesn't get any worse.

I'm sure this is not deliberate negligence by Apple though. Im quite certain that there are some very angry Apple QC people going through material sheets and production parameters in some Chinese back panel factories.

These thing are usually very well tested in most conditions to cover all eventualities (people leaving phones outside in the cold, on wet tables, on the dashboard in the sunlight), so I can't imagine that this is bad testing, design or poor material choice. You can bet your @ss that Apple is shopping around for an alternative backpanel producer if this is a more general problem.

21. xploit macrumors regular

Check out the big brains on this guy! I doubt that the cost of the 3G is keeping anyone with an original from swapping. Thats a pretty absurd comment. It's more about what you get for the cost. Remember, son, original owners paid big money up front so it has nothing to do with feeling insecure about having the old model. Sorry.

X-

22. CongoRedJr macrumors newbie

CongoRedJr

macro and cheese?

I haven't reached my buddy with the digital camera, but I will. I found out there's an apple store in chicago, that's still a pretty good haul for me, but I just might head on up there and see what they can do for me. I'll be madder than a wet hen though if i drive 4 hours to that damned city and who knows how long finding the place, just to get shoved off. So if you see some crazy carrying on in chicago at the apple store when you're watching the news in the next couple days, that'll be me.

I took some time and read through what yall been sayin, and from the sound of things apple's being cooperative. I had an ipod with the color screen and video there last year, darn headphone jack and battery died out, so shes sitting in the drawer covered in dust with my good tunes stuck on it. I went out on a limb and bought this iphone contraption cause they said it'd replace my broke down ipod. From what I can gather, apple builds absolute junk. great ideas, but junk. now I know i've only had 2 products but both of them 2 have gone to the birds. now my sony vaio notebook pc is running just fine. so is my panasonics tv. my fridgidare runs smooth. got no problems with my panasonic telephone or john deere tractors. i even bought me a nice 05' mercedes travellin car, runs great, but still can't beat my gmc dually. my point is apple is battin' 0 for 2 in my book, you can bet your britches i won't buy another thing from them until I'm sure they start building quality stuff. that's my right as a consumer and that's all there is to it.

that other fella was right, ain't no telephone should be held together by tape. i'm an old fashioned guy, simple but not stupid, hard working. all i'm asking is for a company to have some integrity and pride in its affairs. for cryin out loud i paid over 300 dollars for the darn thing, don't that count for nothing?

23. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

You forgot to say that it's budget....

24. xploit macrumors regular

Thanks for the reminder but I left it out on purpose. Decided to give you all a break. What a guy!

X-

25. muldul macrumors 6502

That is bad, go and ask for a replacement from apple