Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcail07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
I currently have the 2g iPhone but am tired of the awful battery life, endless lockups, and dropped calls. I am really wanting a bold because I am tired the touchscreen. Been reading a lot on crackberry about problems with the bold and got me nervous. I also am nervous about giving up my full internet browser. I am either going to get a refurb 3g iPhone or Blackberry Bold

Things I use phone for:
mainly texting (most important)
checking email and some replying to emails
surfing the web
gaming

If anyone has experience with both devices please help!

Thanks in advance!

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Since you came to an iPhone related forum, may I suggest a non-biased answer: get the iPhone :rolleyes:

Ok seriously, with respect to gaming alone, the app store (minus the crappy apps) can offer some really nice games, but please consider that since this is just an iPhone platform, don't expect any console-like features (i.e. 14-day RPG gameplay) but the devs are getting closer to it which is really cool - just look at Simcity.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
i have a bad feeling that im going to get flamed :D hahaha
well it all the depends really how much do you surf the web. the "blackberry app store" is coming in march. txting on my bold is really nice i love the keyboard but there is no threaded messaging in the bold like the iphone :/. but call quality on mine is suberb and email is great is pushes great, but it aint like the iphone. Just go check it out at the att store or ask them if you can try it out for 30 days theres something like that you can do i believe, but hey go and ask.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Well you said you have a 2G iPhone, the 3G iPhone is basically the same exact thing except it has 3G, near useless GPS feature, worse screen, and worse battery life. I just got rid of an iPhone 3G (I had the original iPhone as well before I got the 3G) for a Bold and I recommend the Bold. Especially you say you are a texter and that's the most important thing, there is no better phone for messaging than the Bold imo. The Bold physical QWERTY is way better than the the iPhone virtual keyboard, in landscape mode the iPhone isn't bad but the portrait keyboard sucks big time. The thing of course is that Apple stupidly doesn't make the landscape keyboard available where it would be most useful (email and texting), so you're stuck with the crappy portrait one. IMO the iPhone sucks as a messaging phone, no landscape keyboard, no LED notification light, no MMS, no background apps for IM etc. Call quality is way better on the Bold.

The iPhone has the better browser and the App Store, but 95% of the software on the App Store is novelty junk, not to mention RIM will have an App Store soon I read. The browser is where the iPhone is definitely better, but the browser on the Bold it isn't that bad for occasional use, it's usually pretty fast and loads pages pretty accurately but certain pages will bring it to a grinding halt and forget turning javascript on. The Bold media player is also actually very good, not quite as flashy as iPhone but it's just as functional and better in a way since you can do an instant text search of your library something stupidly lacking on the iPhone.

The Bold is also very easy to tether, and doesn't need to be hacked. email is amazing on the bold as well and you get push with up to 10 of your email addresses, it's something that you'll never see on the iPhone. The screen on the Bold is mindblowingly good as well, probably the best looking screen I've seen on a smartphone.

Personally I never really liked the screen on the iPhone 3G that much, the first iPhone I think had a better screen, the 3G screen always had this kinda muted look to me and has this slight greenish yellow tint that bothers me. The stereo speakerphone on the Bold is also the best on any phone and even better than a number of laptops as well believe it or not, it is that good. The camera on the Bold is better than the iPhone (same MP but the pics are noticeably better) and has a very useful flash and takes video.

The best thing to do is try them out in an AT&T store Both have their strengths and weakness, but I think the Bold overall is a better more flexible experience. The battery also lasts quite a bit longer on the Bold than on the iPhone.

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
If you intend to browse a lot I would not recommend the Bold. This is the main reason I returned my Bold. After using mobile Safari the Blackberry browser is painful to use. Also, gaming is much much better on the iPhone and it's far easier to install them from the App Store. Other than what I mentioned everything else is pretty comparable with a few pros and cons on each device. With that said I would definitely get the Bold again if the things I mentioned were improved enough to compare to the iPhone.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
You sound like a casual user that won't be interested in the Blackberry Bold for Blackberry specific features. That means the iPhone might work just fine for you, but in the end it will depend on you.

I actually prefer the virtual keyboard (audible gasp from Blackberry users everywhere) to a physical keyboard. Why you ask? I am more accurate with it (second audible gasp from Blackberry users everywhere). I used two different Blackberry devices and the Treo 650 before buying my iPhone.

The virtual keyboard actually increased my accuracy a good bit because it compensates for me by predicting what keys I am attempting to type. I love that.

With regard to "surfing the web" or "gaming" there is no comparison between the devices, but you did say that text entry was most important so that is what I focused on. The iPhone will dominate the browsing or gaming parts of your requirements without question.

rednano74

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Dover, DE
iPhone. The AppStore alone can seal the deal.

How can a store with 99% crap "seal the deal?"

There are decent apps for BB phones and BB is launching their store very soon.

I have a 3G iPhone and really love it. But at the same time, every freaking fanboy acts like Apple is so far ahead of the curve when in reality they are so far behind on many features and functionality that have been present in phones that are 2 plus years older.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
How can a store with 99% crap "seal the deal?"

There are decent apps for BB phones and BB is launching their store very soon.

I have a 3G iPhone and really love it. But at the same time, every freaking fanboy acts like Apple is so far ahead of the curve when in reality they are so far behind on many features and functionality that have been present in phones that are 2 plus years older.

I have many useful applications on my iPhone that have no Blackberry equivalent. The App Store may be full of crap, but it also has many good applications.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
The first 2 things the BlackBerry does best - hands down.

The last 2 things the iPhone does best.

You won't beat mobile Safari, but you won't beat texting, emailing and IM'ing on a BlackBerry.

After the 2G and 3G iPhone - it was Back to Black[berry] for me.

I have many useful applications on my iPhone that have no Blackberry equivalent. The App Store may be full of crap, but it also has many good applications.

...as does the BlackBerry - built in.

Its down to essential needs, and personal preference.

For me, having flawless email, social networking and IM capabilities is far better than having an App Store.

For others, having games and apps that make farting noises is better.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007

For me, having flawless email, social networking and IM capabilities is far better than having an App Store.

Alright.. I'll play the which is better game.

The Blackberry devices were built more or less with email in mind so it doesn't surprise me that they are better for email. How much better? Well that is debatable.

I use my iPhone to check 6 email addresses which get around 100 - 200 emails per day between them. The iPhone works very well for this and gets push email from Yahoo and MobileMe within seconds every time. It is cheap and effective for what I need to do.

IM is handled purely via third party applications so it depends which choice you go with. Beejive is my choice and it works great. I get push alerts when the application is closed and it works very smoothly for everything from basic messages to file transfers. I even get Jabber support with enough options to log into our Jabber server that barely any desktop IM client can support because of the strict configuration. IM+ is also looking promising, but I haven't tested it as much.

Social networking isn't something I deal with much since I just find the whole thing pointless. My friends use Facebook, Twitter, Loopt and many others constantly on their iPhones without missing a beat so I assume it works well. They're always excited over the new Facebook application so I take it the software works well enough.

I can use VNC, SSH, Email, IM (with excellent Jabber support), Air Sharing via Wifi (look up the application for what it does), Last.fm/Pandora, and many other applications just day to day. The iPhone isn't perfect, but it is better than any Blackberry I've ever used in so very many ways.

Oh and the real kicker is the comparison between the browsers. The browsers available for the Blackberry aren't bad, but Mobile Safari is the gold standard at the moment. I can use it with all our complex AJAX helpdesk software without a single error. That means a lot for getting my work done.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Kardashian said:

Agreed, it's all about priorities and if messaging and email are your top 2 then I would definitely say the Bold. It's funny the guy in this other thread says "the Bold is useless" then proceeds to say he can't provide links because he's on his iPhone which of course lacks copy and paste. If he had been on a bold he could have copy and pasted the links.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Well, that is the point of the thread.

The Blackberry devices were built more or less with email in mind so it doesn't surprise me that they are better for email. How much better? Well that is debatable.
MobileMe and Push.

'nuff said.
I use my iPhone to check 6 email addresses which get around 100 - 200 emails per day between them. The iPhone works very well for this and gets push email from Yahoo and MobileMe within seconds every time. It is cheap and effective for what I need to do.

As does the BlackBerry - just more efficiently.

IM is handled purely via third party applications so it depends which choice you go with.
Exactly. BlackBerry is ready out of the box - no need to choose which application or pay to have it on there.

Social networking isn't something I deal with much.
So its pointless you commenting on these features. Next..

I can use VNC, SSH, Email, IM (with excellent Jabber support), Air Sharing via Wifi (look up the application for what it does), Last.fm/Pandora, and many other applications just day to day. The iPhone isn't perfect, but it is better than any Blackberry I've ever used in so very many ways.

That's all well and good - but its like I've already said:

BlackBerry = networking and communication abilities are unrivaled.
iPhone = Apps and web browsing are unrivaled.

And to repeat it yet again - personal preference.

I've not said the iPhone is not worth buying, I've not said anything that warrants you coming to its defense. I've simply pointed out why you'd go for one, over the other - the point of this thread.

If you want to sing a products praises, don't do it in a 'which shall I go for' thread, as your giving your personal opinion - which will differ from the OP's. Just give a 'review' of its good and bad points.

Oh and the real kicker is the comparison between the browsers. The browsers available for the Blackberry aren't bad, but Mobile Safari is the gold standard at the moment.
Again, I've already covered this, as well.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

LinMac said:

IM is handled purely via third party applications so it depends which choice you go with. Beejive is my choice and it works great. I get push alerts when the application is closed and it works very smoothly for everything from basic messages to file transfers. I even get Jabber support with enough options to log into our Jabber server that barely any desktop IM client can support because of the strict configuration. IM+ is also looking promising, but I haven't tested it as much.

Social networking isn't something I deal with much since I just find the whole thing pointless. My friends use Facebook, Twitter, Loopt and many others constantly on their iPhones without missing a beat so I assume it works well. They're always excited over the new Facebook application so I take it the software works well enough.

Oh and the real kicker is the comparison between the browsers. The browsers available for the Blackberry aren't bad, but Mobile Safari is the gold standard at the moment. I can use it with all our complex AJAX helpdesk software without a single error. That means a lot for getting my work done.

BeeJive's good and I had it on my iPhone, however the BlackBerry free messenger apps for every messenger are even better, it's the little things like the notification icons in the status bar or the red LED notification light, it's all so well integrated with the phone and makes multitasking so easy.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Umm, tough one, umm .

Are you serioulsy considering that Blackberry??

I honestly have tried the Blackberry as someone at work has one.

Compared to iphone it is awful to use.

You have to press it twice to do anything and even the guy who brought it said he really regretted getting it. I tried scrolling and it really pales compared to iphone.

Seriously unless you have really compelling reasons for getting it then stick with the iphone. Battery life is brilliant now, it can easily still have near full charge at end of second day. There are some brilliant apps and its juts so dam gorgeous to use.

You WILL regret buying the Blackberry I guarantee. (the guy at work got one just to be differant as everyone has iphones but he is seriously regretting trying to out do the iphone users)

Ok it may have a better specification on paper (I don't know though) but so do most other phones. But when you have to use them and live with them day in day out that is when you will notice. Everyone I know who has an iphone cherishes it like it is their best friend. Other phone users just consider their phones as tools and something to be picked up each morning with the keys. the iphone though is kept on the bed side table and is probably ready for use as soon as you wake up-to check maybe to check the news.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Umm, tough one, umm .

Are you serioulsy considering that Blackberry??

I honestly have tried the Blackberry as someone at work has one.

Compared to iphone it is awful to use.

You have to press it twice to do anything and even the guy who brought it said he really regretted getting it. I tried scrolling and it really pales compared to iphone.

Seriously unless you have really compelling reasons for getting it then stick with the iphone. Battery life is brilliant now, it can easily still have near full charge at end of second day. There are some brilliant apps and its juts so dam gorgeous to use.

You WILL regret buying the Blackberry I guarantee. (the guy at work got one just to be differant as everyone has iphones but he is seriously regretting trying to out do the iphone users)

Ok it may have a better specification on paper (I don't know though) but so do most other phones. But when you have to use them and live with them day in day out that is when you will notice. Everyone I know who has an iphone cherishes it like it is their best friend. Other phone users just consider their phones as tools and something to be picked up each morning with the keys. the iphone though is kept on the bed side table and is probably ready for use as soon as you wake up-to check maybe to check the news.

I don't mean to be rude but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

You have to press it twice to do anything
No. You don't. Clearly the phone you were using is broken, or you were using a BlackBerry Storm - which has a moving touch screen. (it clicks when you press it down, imitating a double touch). If it was the Storm, usability wise, the iPhone is heaps better. BlackBerry's should not be touch screen, or touch screen only. IMO, only Apple have done that market correctly.

Ok it may have a better specification on paper (I don't know though)
You're exactly right. You don't know. You're an iPhone fan boy who clearly favours the iPhone despite its many flaws. Jut because you prefer it, the OP might not. You need to be unbiased.

But when you have to use them and live with them day in day out that is when you will notice.
Which you haven't done. You've used a colleague's - and not for a long period of time, either.
Everyone I know who has an iphone cherishes it like it is their best friend.
Right.. OK.. and you have friends at the office?

the iphone though is kept on the bed side table and is probably ready for use as soon as you wake up-to check maybe to check the news.

That's where my BlackBerry is kept.

I don't think you realise the position the BlackBerry holds within the communication world. It's like the iPod of mobile phones - no other company has the syncronisity between data and device. Its like iTunes and the iPod - everything just works, and works well. That is why business users, celebrities, people of power - they are all obsessed with them. More business users are ticking away on BlackBerry's than iPhones.

People live on their BlackBerry's.

That's not to say there are people out there who don't live on their iPhone's but you're making it sound like the BB is something you use because you have to, and then throw it down - where as you don't want to put the iPhone down.

I don't want to put my BB down - and neither do millions of other people worldwide.

Heck, people are even named CrackBerry addicts.. its a running joke about how obsessed people become with using them.

OP, its completely personal preference.

Ignore the slagging off posts and just decide, whats best: e-mail, instant messaging, texting, and being completely 'connected' 24/7 or having Apps, and an iPod, and great web browsing.

deadsouls

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
if you want terrible battery life and a bad gaming toyphone go for the iphone. if you want an actual smartphone with smartphone features get the bold.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Things I use phone for:

mainly texting (most important) -Better on the Bold due to MMS. If MMS is not important, then this is a tie.

checking email and some replying to emails If Push Email is important to you, and you use anything besides MobileMe or Yahoo, then the Blackberry is better for speed. However, email just flat looks better on an iPhone and it ain't close. So this one depends on your preference.

surfing the web Honestly, I think the iPhone wins this one hands down.

gaming They make games for the Bold? I think the App Store puts iPhone so far ahead of ANY device in this department. It is no contest.

If anyone has experience with both devices please help!

Thanks in advance!
That is just my opinion. :D

My boss just got his Blackberry 8800 replaced by a Bold, and he is NOT happy. The fake leather back falls off daily because the locking tabs stink and he is just overall not impressed. For what it's worth.

If I were being honest with you, I would wait it out to see if a new iPhone comes this year. I know that could mean 6 months of waiting, but it could be worth it big time.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
if you want terrible battery life and a bad gaming toyphone go for the iphone. if you want an actual smartphone with smartphone features get the bold.
I charge my iPhone once every three days.

My boss charges his Bold every night because the push email and 3G is such a drain.

Nice try though.

I don't know why people can't get it through their brains that PUSH EMAIL = BATTERY SUCKAGE

Period.

But instead, let's sit here and lie about the battery life of devices because we either love or hate a brand.

Yea!

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia

Why even respond to someone asking for real advice with this nonsense?

OP, if you listen to this Kardashian fellow you are crazy.

Have you seen Enigmo? There isn't a game that comes close to that on the Bold. Do they even MAKE games for the bold?

How about Shazzam? Awesome application.

I wish all these Fan Boys and Haters could give unbiased reviews, but I guess that is asking too much.

FAIL.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I charge my phone once every three days.

My boss charges his Bold every night because the push email and 3G is such a drain.
I don't. And I use Facebook, Yahoo, BBM and MSN.. all day.

I don't know why people can't get it through their brains that PUSH EMAIL = BATTERY SUCKAGE

I don't know why people can't get it through their brains that PUSH EMAIL = EMAIL ESSENTIALAGE lolzzzzz
:rolleyes:

Push e-mail is essential for most users of a BlackBerry - it's what they were designed for.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Yea, the only apps are the farting ones.

Sorry to get all school yard but did I say that? No.

Have you seen Enigmo? There isn't a game that comes close to that on the Bold. Do they even MAKE games for the bold?

I wouldn't know - I don't play games on my BlackBerry. It's not what it was designed for. Sure, it has games. I just don't use them. If you were unbiased, you'd know that. Instead, your hocking an iPhone to someone who doesn't want a touchscreen.

Oh dear. Please don't ever become a salesperson.

I wish all these Fan Boys and Haters could give unbiased reviews, but I guess that is asking too much.

I wish all these Fan Boys and Haters could give unbiased reviews, but I guess that is asking too much.. of them, to get their point across in a polite manner.

Um... period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.