Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geniusdog254

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
Rochester is right next to Farmington... I bet Farmington is on as well.
You people SUCK!!! Lol I live 15 miles outside of a city named Farmington but in Missouri! Its about 75 miles outside St. Louis and my house is about 15 miles from 3G coverage in Festus. I thought it might finally be my turn :( Oh well, AT&T says it will be live by Christmas is MY Farmington lol.

EDIT: And congrats to those of you now on 3G, I've used it enough in St Louis I know how awesomely fast it is lol

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Still EDGE in Concord and Manchester this morning. Sounded like 3G was switched on for the seacoast yesterday around 11am, so maybe it will happen for the rest of us today at 11am...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Still EDGE in Concord and Manchester this morning. Sounded like 3G was switched on for the seacoast yesterday around 11am, so maybe it will happen for the rest of us today at 11am...

It's back to Edge in Somersworth this morning, but Farmington and Rochester still have 3G.

EDIT: Annnnnnnd 3G is back again in Somersworth. Sweet. Seems faster now.

JPS

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
I don't know if this is somehow connected, but I have a 1st generation phone north of Boston (on the coast), and until a week ago had virtually no phone service unless I squeezed into a particular corner of the house. Now I have 3-4 bars everywhere here.

Maybe they've just improved the service for everyone here in New England.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I had 3G for a little while today, but it's gone again for some reason. I thought that maybe it was from all the rain. Does 3G usually work in the rain?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
It's gone again today in Somersworth. What the heck is going on? I hope it's the network and not my iPhone being stupid. I heard some complaints about reception being worse on 2.2 but, I've never used 3G on 2.1 so I can't tell if that's the case.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I've noticed 3G mainly with very little Edge the last couple of days. Newmarket, Newington, Portsmouth, Dover, & Somersworth all had 3G and normally 5 bars.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I've noticed 3G mainly with very little Edge the last couple of days. Newmarket, Newington, Portsmouth, Dover, & Somersworth all had 3G and normally 5 bars.

It's weird there's still almost no 3G in Rochester and when I go back to Farmington or Somersworth where there is 3G, it doesn't automatically switch back to 3G. However, when I drove into Maine today, it automatically switched to 3G. I think there may be something wrong with my local 3G network. Anyone else having this problem?

deltagamma1

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
NH 3G update

So the airplane mode trick worked in Portsmouth by the hospital today. My buddy and my phone switched back to edge probably 10 minutes west of Hampton on 101 on our way back from the coast. "rumor" has it that there is a tower software difficulty that is preventing those of us who live away from the seacoast from having 3G. Getting ready to call At&t to see what they have to say seeing how they are falsely advertising 3G in the Nashua/Manchester metro area...:)

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
So the airplane mode trick worked in Portsmouth by the hospital today. My buddy and my phone switched back to edge probably 10 minutes west of Hampton on 101 on our way back from the coast. "rumor" has it that there is a tower software difficulty that is preventing those of us who live away from the seacoast from having 3G. Getting ready to call At&t to see what they have to say seeing how they are falsely advertising 3G in the Nashua/Manchester metro area...:)

Yesterday, when leaving Rochester (mostly EDGE right now) it would not switch over to 3G automatically when I hit Farmington, but tonight, to my surprise, it switched over on it's own once it found 3G again in Farmington.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Getting ready to call At&t to see what they have to say seeing how they are falsely advertising 3G in the Nashua/Manchester metro area...:)

Let us know what AT&T tells you.

Yesterday, when leaving Rochester (mostly EDGE right now) it would not switch over to 3G automatically when I hit Farmington, but tonight, to my surprise, it switched over on it's own once it found 3G again in Farmington.

Sounds like they are working out the kinks in the 3G network that is live. Probably once that is sorted out, they will flip the switch for the rest of NH.

Katharine

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
I work in Portland and live a little south and for the most part have 3g in both places. It disappears then reappears a couple of times a day.

SHICKS

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
Don't waste your time calling. I did last night and customer service has no clue. The said sorry about that and offered me some minutes to make me happy after I told them they were false advertising.

davidmt

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
Just found this thread. I've been patiently waiting for 3G to hit Manchester. As of today, nothing. However, when I turn on 3G on my phone, it displays "searching..." and finally goes to Edge.

I don't think that has happened previously, I believe it said something like "no service".

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Just found this thread. I've been patiently waiting for 3G to hit Manchester. As of today, nothing. However, when I turn on 3G on my phone, it displays "searching..." and finally goes to Edge.

I don't think that has happened previously, I believe it said something like "no service".

I think the "searching..." thing is new in Firmware 2.2. How the heck did Somersworth and Dover get 3G before Manchester? Maybe they're trying it on smaller cities at first to make sure it's working correctly before they spring it on a big city and have everyone crash it. Just a thought. I wish the iPhone would switch automatically between EDGE and 3G. I have to force it to find 3G after I pass through an EDGE area. It worked last night in Farmington, but it still seems to be broken in Somersworth.

davidmt

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
Ah, the "Searching..." message might be new with 2.2. I really haven't tried switching to 3G for awhile so that makes sense. I *do* remember my phone being totally non-functional if I switched it to 3G. Now it at least goes to Edge.

Consider yourself lucky, at least you have been able to try 3G. I haven't even had it work once.

Where the heck is Somersworth anyway ;)

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
The folks on HowardForums say 3G became live in Nashua & Hudson this afternoon. Apparently it switches back to EDGE halfway up Route 3 heading north to Manchester. But it is live down there and is working.

Still nothing in Manchester on my iPhone, but at least it is getting closer. Also tried the airplane mode toggle just to be sure.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Ah, the "Searching..." message might be new with 2.2. I really haven't tried switching to 3G for awhile so that makes sense. I *do* remember my phone being totally non-functional if I switched it to 3G. Now it at least goes to Edge.

Consider yourself lucky, at least you have been able to try 3G. I haven't even had it work once.

Where the heck is Somersworth anyway ;)

3G is live in Portsmouth too if you wanna go there and check it out. Also, you could try Portland, ME if you know how to get there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.