3G S speaker - anyone know if it'll be louder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boymom75, Jun 12, 2009.

1. boymom75 macrumors member

Has apple said anything about this? If not, I guess it's wait and see.

2. bjquach macrumors 6502

You could always demo a 3G S at AT&T or Apple and bring a 3G with you to compare. But, no they haven't said much about it.

3. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Speakers on the Iphone 3G were rather poor compared to the HTC devices especially since this is also a music and video phone. I reallt think they could have thrown in a better set of speakers in there.

4. bjquach macrumors 6502

At least they were better than the original iphone

5. docprego macrumors 65816

That's not saying much.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

wait

till the 19th all the answers will start to appear. Look for lots of Iphone 3GS unboxings. Heck I might even do one.

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Yes, I can confirm it is louder. It's actually too loud and I'm seriously annoyed with how loud it is.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Apple's been known to make unnoted stealth improvements to their devices, so it's certainly possible.

Bleh. Typing in landscape is awkward.

9. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

+1 Lol.

Does this really matter though? Your headphones will be use 95% of the time anyways, So why should this be a concern?

10. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

BRILLIANT ! :) :) :)

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Mind me asking. How do you know? Apple or AT&T employee?

12. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

That's for sure. If I have one recommendation for anyone that is new to the iPhone ... learn to type in portrait mode first until it has become habit ... then try landscape. Don't go back and forth. Landscape might be easier for a new iPhone user, but once you get in the habit of typing in portrait, it's much faster and easier (your fingers only have to travel half the distance to reach letters).

13. Nickday89 macrumors regular

If it's better than the Gen1 iPhone, then I'm fine with that. While I don't use the speaker that much, the Gen1 speakers suck. Anything is better. And "anything" is all I'm asking for. Well, that, and Friday to come faster...

14. Ekelon macrumors newbie

Portrait mode only works if you're paying 100% attention though. That's why I like landscape... you don't have to be as accurate. There are stilll many times where I bungle up and have to hit the delete key a bunch. What's worse is when I bungle up twice and hit a period instead of the delete key or something like that.

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I hope it's plenty loud. I've missed a lot of calls because I simply don't hear my 1st gen ringing.

16. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

The people next door to me just called the cops because I was playing my 3GS too loud.

I keep cancelling the keyboard when I try to hit a letter from the top row. Portrait's so much easier.

17. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Yes it matters, I actully use my iPhone as a phone. I need to hear it ringing.

18. stezza333 macrumors regular

How do you know he uses his headphones 95% of the time. When you're not using headphones your still want to be able to hear it :rolleyes:

19. lignsligns macrumors member

That has been one of my biggest annoyances with the 1st gen that I currently use, Sometimes I have to push the phone as close to my head as possible and plug the other ear just to hear with barely any background noise, it seems like everyone elses phone is so much louder. I would always like to see a better vibration too, because I miss texts and calls a lot.

20. The General macrumors 601

I can't remember the last time I used headphones on my iPhone.

21. BMac702 macrumors regular

I can't remember the last time I didn't:p

22. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I have found this to be very true.

23. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

The 3G's speaker is much clearer than that on the v1.

24. elmoemily macrumors newbie

This is good news. I was just searching some earlier boards and I guess that even the 1st gen speakers were improved over time. Had I known this I may have tried to find a way to get a replacement for my launch weekend phone. I've been dealing with its quiet speakers for 2 years. Youtube is useless unless you've got headphones or you're in a very quiet room. And I've missed many many calls because I didn't hear my phone ring.

I'm looking forward to getting a 3G S soon :)
    And I hope that apple releases some new ring tones with a software update soon. It would be nice to have more factory tones. Some of them are probably never used. (Harp? Timba? Perhaps if I lived in a library:rolleyes:)

25. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

The 3G S' speaker is much louder than the 3G's. I have actually had to turn the ringer volume down a couple of ticks. :eek: