3GS Adopters, what are you upgrading from?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by travistaylor, Jun 14, 2009.

?

3GS Adopters, what are you upgrading from?

1. EDGE iPhone

47 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. 3G iPhone

40 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Blackberry of some kind

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Other (Post Below)

33 vote(s)
    26.4%
  5. Nothing...this is my first cell phone

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. travistaylor macrumors regular

I just thought it would be interesting to see what you 3GSers are upgrading from, and when you intend to upgrade again.

I'm upgrading from a First Generation 4GB iPhone that I bought on July 1st, 2007 for a ridiculous price of $499.99. With my $100 refund Apple later gave me, I got a nice set of speakers for my then-brand-new MacBook Pro.

I plan to upgrade again in two years (just like I did with my last iPhone), unless Apple adds some insane new features that I just won't be able to live without. I lived without 3G (no 3G in my area anyway), GPS, and a new case design for a year. So, I plan to hold out for the 2011 model, which should come out as I'm graduating from college.

What about you guys?

2. puercaeli macrumors regular

N73

But I have had iPod Touch at one stage... have been without for nearly a year now. So really looking forward to have that multi touch + PMP back~!

Also with 3.2MP my Nokia can be tucked away with no regrets

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

I'm not really "upgrading"

I'm a phone junkie so I'm just "adding" to my collection. The iPhone 3G S will not be my primary phone.

My current line up for phones are the lastest greatest).

Just sold my iPhone 3G on Monday.

My current selection of phones includes the G1, BB Bold, Nokia E71 (NAM) I switch phones all the time and adding the iPhone 3G S to my rotation of current phones.

4. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Motorola VU30. But not really, as I had a 2G iPhone and ended up giving it to my boyfriend when he couldn't afford to replace his crappy AT&T phone, since I had the vu30 all along. Been patiently waiting for the new iPhone since january.

5. JReynolds macrumors 6502

Your a beast... I couldn't stay organized rotating phones.

I'm upgrading from the iPhone 3G to the 3GS for the low low price of $499! Selling my iphone 3G for $325 TODAY

6. Senn macrumors member

iphone > iphone 3G > iphone 3G S

all on launch

7. fratboy macrumors regular

thats sounds pretty remedial

8. dbwie macrumors 6502

My current phone is a motorola E815 flip phone, on Verizon, which I have had for several years. The main reason I got this phone is because it was compatible with iSync! I think it was free with a two year contract. My contract ended in early 2008, and I was tempted to get the iPhone 3G, but held out for this generation. I ordered the 32GB model because I have a total of about 20GB of music/video/photos on my AppleTV. It blows my mind that I can have all of this on my phone AND email, AND a web browser, AND third party apps. My monthly contract on the iPhone will only be $20 more per month than my Verizon contract, with the same minutes (and the bonus of rollover).

I have some trepidation about switching to AT&T based on what I have read in these forums, but keeping my fingers crossed.

9. exhibit.b macrumors regular

10. corykane macrumors member

I am upgrading from a Sony Ericsson w810i to the iPhone 3G S 16GB black!

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

iPhone 2G. Funny thing -- my EDGE service was bearable up until about the keynote then it became mind numbing slow. I wonder if ATT is throttling it to "convince" people to abandon their 2Gs or if it's all in my mind. Of course, I was going to upgrade anyway, but just an observation.

12. 78Bandit macrumors regular

Krzr

Upgrading from a Motorola KRZR K1. This will be my first smartphone. I hope I get used to the larger form factor, the KRZR is so small I hardly notice I have it in my pocket.

13. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Ditto:)

14. travistaylor thread starter macrumors regular

When I upgraded to my iPhone in 2007, I was worried about the same thing. I found that the iPhone was quite the perfect size. It's big enough for an enjoyable smartphone, yet thin enough to fit in a dedicated pocket (I don't keep anything else in the pocket my phone is in) to barely be noticeable. It shouldn't be too tough to accept the change.

15. Andruw91 macrumors regular

Nextel i850 P.O.S. to a 32gb black iphone. Definitely worth the wait

16. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

I'm going from the Iphone 2G. I skipped the 3G cause I was happy with what I had and didn't think the 3G offered that much more. But that was all while I was on T-mo. Switching to ATT so getting the 3GS.

17. Zerase macrumors member

Zerase

First Post: Upgrading from V3xx Platinum RAZR. Can't wait. :)

18. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

This upgrade timed out nicely as my 1st gen IPhone has become a partial zombie (a portion of the touch screen is non-operative, so can't check voice mails or make outgoing calls too easily). Nice to know that the IPhone still functions at that point...

My partner is upgrading his as well (got them right after Apple gave the $100 price reduction two-ish years ago) as he needs the longer battery life as he uses it as a remote for Keynote in classes.

19. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I am upgrading from an iPhone 3G 16GB to an iPhone 3G S 32GB.

20. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

same here :D

21. gibbz macrumors 68030

22. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Upgrading from a Samsung SGH-a727, which I've had for two years and have just about reached my limit with. I can't wait to throw it in a drawer and never see it again.

Of course, the fact that I'm saying that means that my 3G S will probably have some fatal manufacturing flaw that will prevent me from making phone calls, or something.

23. joefro macrumors member

Upgrading from iPhone 2G 8GB. In April my iPhone's black plastic piece came off, since then I've had it taped on with electrical tape :eek:. Not too pretty. I can't wait for my Black 32GB 3G S.

24. Thudstaff macrumors newbie

Still on the fence about switching from Sprint. I'm currently using an HTC Mogul and may possibly get the Palm Pre. If I do go with an iPhone it will likely be the 32GB unit.

25. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

16GB iPhone 3G to 16GB iPhone 3G S. Both black.