Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3GS Adopters, what are you upgrading from?

• EDGE iPhone

Votes: 47 37.6%
  • 3G iPhone

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • Blackberry of some kind

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Nothing...this is my first cell phone

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

iphone3DG3

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
NorCal!
Going from iPhone EDGE (8GB) to a 16GB 3GS...I'm not sure what color to get yet; both of them are very slick. Would the black one still be a fingerprint magnet?

This is a major update if it were compared the first phone I used (a Nokia 6160). :D

mac-mania

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2005
I'm upgrading from an E71x

Way before that (heh, August of last year) I bought an iPhone 3G, but I got a cushy job at an at&t authorized retailer and had to forgo my iPhone to switch to the Employee Plan, well 4 different phones later I figured the discount wasn't worth it and switched back to a consumer plan and await my 3Gs.

e71/blackberry/WinMo Employee Plan (2,000 min, unlim text/data) 30.00 a month
my new iPhone bill (450 min, unlim text/data) like 90.00 a month

I'm either stupid or particular, I say both.

astrobanana

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
samsung a 737
worst phone i ever had, ever
and then i get to upgrade to the magical iphone 3gs

fabulous

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
Bought 1st gen EDGE iPhones for myself and my wife when I returned home from Iraq back in mid-2007. Held back the urge to go 3g and am glad I waited. Getting a white 32gb 3gs for the wife and a black 32gb 3gs for myself.

Question. Will our original iPhones act, basically, like iPod touches once the sim cards are removed?

Fenix85

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
I'm updating from my 1st Gen 8GB iPhone to a 32GB white 3G S. I couldn't justify upgrading to a 3G. It's basically my phone with 3G and GPS.

I'll probably upgrade in another two years, maybe more. The only reason I'm upgrading now is because I cracked the screen about a month ago and the headphone jack stopped working. I still love the 1st Gen. Not only is a it a ground breaking phone but it looks much nicer than the newer iPhones IMO.

AlfaLavala

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Aberdeen, UK
My first iPhone. Upgrading from an Orange SPV M700 (HTC trinity I think). Had it for 2 years and been on SIM only contract this year knowing that a new iPhone was coming! And the virbrate has broken, phone now rattles, so need to get a new phone!

Not going to miss Windows Mobile, going to miss my TomTom (in the fact that I'll probably have to buy it again for iPhone).

Plus my old iPod is getting on/doesn't play movies.

Looking forward to it, even if I am paying more for my phone/contract!

YoungLew

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
3GS will be my first smart phone but not my first touch screen (Had a LG KE850 Prada before)

at the moment i have a SE W890i

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I'm upgrading from a black LG Chocolate. I absolutely hate this phone. Out of all the cell phones I've owned, this is by far the worst.

Basically, I'm really ready for my iPhone 3GS to get here.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Updating from a broken Nokia 6500 slide on 3 (UK), as 6500 is broken i'm currently using my work Nokia 6021, work Vodafone sim is currently in my old, but great Nokia 6310i

AzWildcat

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
Sony Ericsson P1i

After 3 months of corrupted hardware issues, phone crashes, dropped calls, ringtones not working, I'm ready for a change.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Most of those who I know that are upgrading are doing so from the original iPhone.

As odd as this is, I never knew they didn't upgrade from the 3G but apparently they didn't even though I was around them all the time

Most whom I know that have the 3G decided to save some money and stick with their current phones rather than pay $599

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.