Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3GS Adopters, what are you upgrading from?

• EDGE iPhone

Votes: 47 37.6%
  • 3G iPhone

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • Blackberry of some kind

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Nothing...this is my first cell phone

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Transitioning from Verizon and my old Moto E815 too. Will be really nice to have a new phone, as I've been eligible for well over a year now...

barnaby117

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
Upgrading from Moto Razr > BB 8800 (for a few months) > iPhone 3Gs 16GB black. So thrilled to replace the BB!

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
I'm switching from a first gen 8gb that I bought refurb'd last October to take advantage of the cheaper 2g plan. Now, I realized that Edge is way too slow, so I ordered at 16gb Black 3g S to replace it :)

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
I'll be replacing my 8GB 2G, with a 16GB 3Gs. I'm not buying on launch day though -- I'm going to give it a few weeks when I don't have to wait in some crazy line.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
Upgrading from an original 8GB iPhone, to a 32GB White 3G S. Edge is just awful, and my iPhone is dying a slow death. I can't wait for all the new features, especially the improved camera! This upgrade is welcomed with open arms :)

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Blackberry 8330 on verizon for black 32gb.

I've switched carriers so many times its redic.

Synthetickiller

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
Samsung doesn't make the OS on the Blackjack II, Microsoft does (WM 6.0). I have the same phone and will probably get a 3GS sometime in the fall.

I know this, but thanks anyways. ;)

I figured when I purchased it that windows mobile would be a smart choice as I could sync my email, etc w/ it. In the end, I found the OS (windoze) just to be sluggish and crappy. The 3G S seems to be a more functional phone for my needs.

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I am upgrading from a day one launch 4gb iPhone (waited in line, only got 8 8gb phones). Looking forward to being able to finally put videos and more apps on my phone. 4gb does not cut it for me.

nabechu

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
From the Samsung A727, can't wait to just chuck it into a drawer and never see it again. :D

Vinom

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Napa, CA
I am Cross-Grading...

I bought the original iPhone 8GB for both my wife and I on release day... waited in line, etc. I upgraded my first-gen for a black iPhone 3G 16GB on release day... waited in line, etc.

Since I bought each one on release, I am eligible for an upgrade on 7/12/09, but my wife is eligible now. I pre-ordered a black iPhone iPhone 3G S⃣ 32 GB under my wife's name and will transfer to myself and transfer my 3G to her.

This way we both get an upgrade AND I keep my eligibility for normal price upgrade in 2010 under my own account.
:D

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
When I upgraded to my iPhone in 2007, I was worried about the same thing. I found that the iPhone was quite the perfect size. It's big enough for an enjoyable smartphone, yet thin enough to fit in a dedicated pocket (I don't keep anything else in the pocket my phone is in) to barely be noticeable. It shouldn't be too tough to accept the change.

i hate having a small phone! blackberrys and iphones are the perfect size!

travistaylor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
At request of someone, I added a poll!

All of these are interesting stories, keep 'em coming!

Maverick713

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Upgrading from...

I am going from a first Gen 8 Gig black Iphone for me and the wife to a 16 gig black for me and white for the wife, though I did promis her a pink skin :):D

Protius1

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
To Upgrade or Not??

Im considering upgrading my current hardware Att 8125 to a Iphone 8gb 3G. I'm not someone that really would be into using the video, or mms aspect as I usually send pics as attachments through email and have used the video featre little to none on my current phone. Is there going to be such a vast difference in speed and performance from the 3g to the 3GS to warrant just getting the 3GS ie..standby/talk time..battery life?. My Itunes library is a good size currently but 16gb i think would be a bit much or do iphone apps take up a lot of space? Any input would be appreciated...i'm somewhat leaning on just getting the Iphone 8gb 3G and waiting the obligatory 18 months before i can upgrade again..by that time the next harware iteration will have been out for 4-5 months already.

freediro

macrumors member
from Verizon vx9400, to the black 3GS 32gb iphone.

It will become my phone, ipod, navigation devise, can use nike + when i go running, use the magnometer when i go on day hikes, and then all the apps that i will find useful, then obviously the internet so i can do in class research for in class discussion.

U would be surprised how many college professors are pleasantly surprised when some one busts out their iphone to do some quick research for them!

ahhhhhhhhh I cant wait only one more month until i can get it!

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Samsung U600, with a cracked screen :p

I don't use the phone much, that's why I'm still undecided wether or not to get a contract iPhone 3GS...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.