4.1 proximity sensor NOT fixed.......

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vizionblind, Sep 10, 2010.

1. vizionblind macrumors newbie

I still have a ton of unwanted button presses etc with the latest update. Apple needs to fix this issue NOW!

2. tigert07 macrumors regular

it is not fixed, but I feel like it has vastly improved the issue.

3. adztaylor macrumors 68000

There are a tonne of threads about this, and some of them are lurking on the front page. Have a look at them.

4. PeteLP macrumors regular

Given that the update seems to have handled this for the majority of users, and given that it hasn't handled it for you, I suspect apple would likely replace your unit if you now brought it into an apple store.

You should try a HARD reset first however. (pressing both the on/off button and the home button, and CONTINUING to hold those buttons when you see the slide to power off, right up until you see it fully power down. Then hold the on/off until you see the apple)

Pete

5. x986 macrumors regular

Pete,
    I can't remember. Does a hard reset go back to default settings, or will my phone come back as I remember?
    Thanx,

6. Razeus macrumors 601

Not fixed for me either. When I'm done with a call and remove the phone from my face, the screen is still showing up blank and can't hang up the call. I have to be careful to sure I don't say anything demeaning and what not until I can get back to the home screen and ensure the call is hung up. This is epic fail. iPhone 4 is great, but is clearly fundamentally flawed. And here I was ordering on Day 1 thinking I could skip the next update and what until iPhone 6. Looks like I'll have to get the iPhone 5 now. I hope the resale value is not messed up due to all these damn issues.

7. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

8. Lambries macrumors newbie

"PROX'd" again

I'm still getting PROX'd after the update and I'm really tired of friends and blackberry users laughing at my expense every time it happens. Apple, please help... Getting prox'd multiple times during a single conversation is embarrassing and killing the iPhone machismo!

9. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

The same exact thing has happened to me several times. I always have to wait until the other party hangs up on their end before I can do anything. However, I think this might be a software issue of iOS 4 in general because this also used to happen on my 3GS after it was updated to 4.0.

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Wonder if Apple will start taking Head measurements to see if you qualify for a replacement. "I'm sorry Sir, you have a fat head. NO IPHONE FOR YOU!"

11. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

95% of my proximity sensor issues are fixed except for when I try to put the phone on my shoulder (damn mustangs and stick shifts!)

Since the original iPhone, the phone has never felt comfortable on the shoulder so I won't complain.

What I need to do is find me a good Bluetooth. Had a Jawbone for my iPhone 3G and loved it.

12. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

ive noticed that the prox sensor detects somthing alot further away from before lol,

13. PeteLP macrumors regular

The settings should be preserved as you left them

Pete

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I have a big head and don't have the problem.. I think people with tiny and or shruken heads might be the issue.

So they will have like a piece of cardboard with a circle in it, and if you can put your head through it, they will give you a replacement.

15. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Not fixed for me either. I've already hung up on someone and muted 2 other people today with my face. I made a Genius appointment and told him I still had the proximity sensor issue. The guys goes "what would you like me to do?". WTF, so I said "how about fix it or replace it?". So, he plugged it in and did a diagnostic and it showed fine of course. He then told me to make a call and reproduce which, of course, I couldn't do. He then put it on a call and laid it flat on a table and held his finger over the sensor and the display stayed off. He warned me that he could do a "ONE TIME" replacement based on a non-reproduceable issue. I told him I would try it for the day and see if it kept happening, which it did. I guess I should go back tomorrow and get my 1 free replacement which may or may not have the issue.

16. HXGuy macrumors 68000

When I went into the store yesterday, I signed in with one of the people there and then while waiting, I kept testing out the phone trying to get it to reproduce the problem (by calling my voicemail...not Visual Voicemail, but actually calling and staying on the phone) and I did get to reproduce it and grabbed one of the guys to show him right as it was doing it.

I was doing it to have a witness in case the tech guy didn't believe me but it ended up not being a problem...he tested it by putting his finger over the sensor and of course it worked when he did it, but still replaced it without any kind of warning that it's a one thing replacement.

17. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I haven't tried mine yet to see if it works. If it's not fixed, i'm bringing it to Apple. This is unacceptable. It's been impossible for me to have a conversation with someone with it constantly dialing someone else or muting.

18. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Well, after muting more people with my face last night, I went in this morning and exchanged my phone. I told the guy what was going on and I wanted my one time replacement. The guy that helped me yesterday made a point of coming over and telling me that it was "a personal favor for you, we don't do this for everyone. Just so you know, it's a favor". Boy did that piss me off. If I wasn't so flabbergasted by his arrogance, I would have sarcastically thanked him for doing me a favor by replacing a defective product. Why can't Apple just admit the problem and not be a**holes?

19. HXGuy macrumors 68000

20. galenmd macrumors regular

Mine is mostly fixed. I still hang up on someone once and a while. Before the update, the problem was constant and intolerable. I can deal with it for now.

I will ask for a replacement phone later. I mean much later. Since I feel I can manage for now, I figure that the longer I wait, the better the likelihood that there will be some hardware improvement in a later build.

21. PrincessMelody macrumors member

Mine is improved as well...before virtually every call would cut off, or start facetime. Now, it's about 80% improved. Not what I hoped for, but better.

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Only had the issue a few times and hasn't happened since.

I think there's a lot of user variation going on here and people only want to blame the device.

23. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

If you're having trouble, please call Apple, and:

• Complain
    • Ask for a replacement

My issue got worse after the update. I called Apple and explained that I had fully reset and erased my phone 2 times, and redownloaded the 4.1 update twice with no avail.

They agreed that my phone had a problem and told me to either have it replaced by mail, or go into an Apple store and have it replaced there.

I swung by the Apple Store near Jackson, MS. They looked at it for a minute, made a demo call and found it to have problems. They replaced it no questions asked.

Apple has a problem here because I've seen a lot of threads and posts saying the issue either existed or got worse after the update. Get your phone replaced until you're happy. Eventually Apple will have to make a decision because they'll start loosing their $$$ replacing and refurbishing all these phones.

It's your choice. Suck it up and deal with it, or complain and replace it.

24. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Wow, lots of people on here are having these problems. I haven't experienced any ever. Neither has my girlfriend, or my parents. Hopefully Apple gets this stuff figured out

25. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I've never heard of that problem before. YOUR phone is fundamentally flawed. Bring it back and get a replacement.