4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Set to Begin Mass Production This Month, 5.5-Inch in August

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn is set to begin mass production on the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 this month, according to local media cited by Reuters. The larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will begin production a month later, in August.

[​IMG]
    Foxconn is also set to hire around 100,000 additional workers to help meet future demand for the device, according to a Chinese state-run news agency. Fellow Apple manufacturing partner Pegatron is also ramping up hiring, recruiting over 10,000 for its own facilities to help manufacture the iPhone. Additionally, it was reported last week that Foxconn was planning on deploying 10,000 robots to help employees with less intensive tasks like tightening screws.

Apple is widely expected to announce the iPhone 6 in early September, with a release coming a couple weeks later in late September. While it's unclear whether both the 4.7- and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models will launch at the same time, the one-month delay in mass production could mean that the 5.5-inch is either available in lower quantities at first or will be announced at the same time as the 4.7-inch model and launch shortly after. Previously, it's been rumored the 5.5-inch model had been experiencing production issues.

Other than larger displays, the iPhone 6 is expected to include a thinner, iPod touch-like design, an A8 processor, and an improved camera, potentially measuring 13 megapixels. The larger model is expected to come with a $100 price increase, optical image stabilization and greater storage capability.

Article Link: 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Set to Begin Mass Production This Month, 5.5-Inch in August

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

3. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

4. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

5.5? my gf tells me thats too small, but maybe for a phone it'll be big enough.

5. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

6. borneo76 macrumors member

7. AstronomyiPhone macrumors regular

AstronomyiPhone

Here we go.

I wonder how the use of robots will impact the build quality: it should increase consistency, but some minor thing will probably go wrong and it'll be in the news for weeks...

8. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

How many times is this thing going to go into production (lol :p)

Anyway, if I was anymore ready, I'd be outside of the apple store now.

:p:p

9. JBUGGY macrumors member

JBUGGY

10. eiuro macrumors member

eiuro

Am I the only one on earth that doesn't believe apple will make a 5.5 inch iPhone?? I just don't see it..

11. randyj macrumors regular

randyj

I just hope for the IPhone 6B
    B for battery = iphone twice as thick and mostly battery lasting 10 days. Extra thickness also allows for optical zoom camera and 256GB of storage...
    B could be also for business, beast & best frickin' iphone yet

12. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I don't understand the mockup image. I thought the antenna would not be able to transmit with a full metal backing.

13. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

I'm with you. The 5.5" isn't going to happen.

There haven't been any legitimate leaks of the 5.5" iPhone for a reason: it doesn't exist.

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Nope I still don't think 5.5 is going to happen this year

15. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

Why? Is it because you don't want one?
    Or is it because we haven't seen any fake parts like the 4.7?

16. iCore24 macrumors 6502

iCore24

I hope they don't do that. Either release both at the same time or wait another year to release a bigger iPhone.

I don't want to buy the 4.7" iPhone then a month later there is a faster higher end one and my device is already inferior.

I honestly believe though the 5.5" IS NOT coming out, at least this year with all the leaks only leaning towards a 4.7".

Don't be like Samsung and release multiple phones months apart!

Actually wouldn't it be weird if Apple made another keynote for the 5.5" after the 4.7" was released? Usually keynotes last an hour and half+.

"So heres a bigger iPhone! Its 5.5"...BYE!" So my theory is they will announce both phones together but ship at different times. Thats the only plausible way I can see them releasing both phones in the same year.

17. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

I'm definitely in the market for a 4.7" iPhone 6 (32 GB storage) to replace my Samsung Galaxy S III. :)

18. AstronomyiPhone macrumors regular

AstronomyiPhone

I think that, from what we've seen over the past couple of months, these mockups don't have to be even remotely technically accurate:

[​IMG]

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

that should be titled "how the iwatch won't look"

20. AstronomyiPhone macrumors regular

AstronomyiPhone

Yes. Some jokester in the thread decided that they'd have a go at it, as well:

[​IMG]

21. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

I feel sorry for the humans making them and the one's suffering because their not.

22. satchmo macrumors 68000

While I too wouldn't mind longer battery at the expense of thickness, it ain't gonna happen.

Although I wish Apple would give us at least a BTO option. Again highly unlikely given the extra SKUs and logistics.

23. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

Throw in the watch(es) Apple will release and a 12" iPad and Apple will cover the range of screen sizes.

iWatch - 1.5"-2.5"
    iPhone - 4, 4.7, 5.5 inches
    iPad - 8, 10, 12 inches (rounding)

24. JonneyGee macrumors 6502

JonneyGee

Here's my crazy theory: Apple will release two iPhone 6 models: 4.0" and 4.7". No one is noticing the 4.0" part leaks, only because they just think they're 5S/5C parts.

At least this is what I'm hoping for, anyway. 4.0" iPhone 6, please!

25. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com