Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSage

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
If apple doesn't release a 4" iPhone 6 I won't be updating. For one thing the keyboard would be too big to type on with one thumb comfortably.

The 4" is already a stretch to reach the top of the screen. I don't want the whole phone to be like that.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I hope they don't do that. Either release both at the same time or wait another year to release a bigger iPhone.

I don't want to buy the 4.7" iPhone then a month later there is a faster higher end one and my device is already inferior.

{snip}

First thing first. Maybe you should change your perspective. If you buy a new iPhone 6 it will be superior to what you already have. That's how you should look at it. Be happy.

Even if you buy a 4.7" phone and the 5.5" comes out a couple of months later, so what? Your phone doesn't suddenly stop working and become obsolete. It won't be any slower and safari will be just as snappy as it was when you unboxed your 4.7" phone. If you get an inferiority complex about a phone, I would humbly suggest you tie your self worth to something other than a phone. In the end it's just a phone.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Am I the only one on earth that doesn't believe apple will make a 5.5 inch iPhone?? I just don't see it..

Uuumm if Apple can have multiple sizes of the iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and iPad then what the HECK makes you think they can't make an iPhone that's 5.5" ?!

They made a 3.5" iPhone . They made a 4" iPhone . Just because you don't want 4.7" or 5.5" doesn't mean there isn't a HUGE market for it .

How are people still in denial ...

----------

I doubt there will be two different screen sizes offered for the next iPhone. Just one size.

What makes you think that ? I would LOVE to know .

Pitmaster

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
Had the absolute pleasure to play with the LG G3 for the past week. The 5.5" form factor is nothing to mess around with and definitely nothing to look down on. It's perfect. If I were an Android guy, I'd be all over the G3. Too bad I'm too invested in iOS. Can't wait for the 5.5" iPhone 6.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Am I the only one on earth that doesn't believe apple will make a 5.5 inch iPhone?? I just don't see it..

Yep, I totally agree. I think most people forget about Apple having the 4 inch iPhone - whether it'll be something new or they'll have new 6C, it's hard to tell, but I'm sure Apple won't give up on that screen size. Why would they? Although I would welcome a 4,7 screen iPhone, I am sure that they could get away with iPhone 6 being being the size of 5s. I mean no one, except a couple of geeks on forums like this:), cares anyway. People will buy the iPhone 6 regardless of its screen size. iPhone 5 and 5S came out well into the big Android phones era and each one did better than the one before.
And as for the iWatch. I just don't care. I'm sure Apple could redefine the smart watch concept and make it justifiable to buy - that's looking classy and practical at the same time. But if I were to judge based on current state of things, I would have to say that smart watches are a totally missed concept - you get a wristwatch with short battery life and very limited "smart" functions that jut looks bad - more like a G-Shock than a Rolex. And if Apple releases one, granted it will have killer looks, I'm sure they'll focus on "health" functions, which honestly does nothing for me. I've been doing my exercises, running and biking without a smart watch just fine for years. So unless the iWatch throws you a Gatorade while you're out for a jog, it doesn't do anything for me.

But we shall see. Waiting and speculating is the fun part. I hope they make a 4,7 inch iPhone, but based on those mock ups and leaks we've had I'm not that thrilled. It looks okay, but honestly the HTC One is the best looking phone out there for me at the moment. If it only ran iOS...:)
Hopefully the iPhone 6 will look better in real life than it does on those mockups.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lets just hope there are no delays.

(Man,,, these robots would really be useful now .. :confused:)

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
So......more iPhones this year?

The market is clearly shifting towards larger handsets.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-30-million/
http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/samsung-galaxy-s4-sales-figures-roof-39272/
http://www.modernreaders.com/stats-...5s-on-release-date-weekend/5242/lorenzo-tanos
http://androidcommunity.com/lg-g2-sales-top-3-million-according-to-analyst-reports-20131230/
http://phandroid.com/2014/06/03/lg-g3-sales-korea/

And these are only the Galaxy S and LG G series phones. We can get into sales numbers of the Note series and G Pro series if we need to. Or Xperia phones. Or countless others that are above 4.7".

I'm no Android fanboy. I can't wait to get rid of my Nexus 5 for an iPhone 6. But don't be so naive to think that a 4.0" iPhone outsells all the 4.7"+ Android flagships out there.

People are clearly wanting to move away from the puny 3.5-4.0" screens, meaning people are moving their money away from the puny 3.5-4.0" screens. Apple knows it, that is why they are moving away from the puny 3.5-4.0" screens.

----------

Had the absolute pleasure to play with the LG G3 for the past week. The 5.5" form factor is nothing to mess around with and definitely nothing to look down on. It's perfect. If I were an Android guy, I'd be all over the G3. Too bad I'm too invested in iOS. Can't wait for the 5.5" iPhone 6.

Unfortunately do to Apples design preferences, the overall phone will be taller than the G3 despite the same screen size. It will even be taller than the Galaxy Note 3, despite it having an even larger screen (and unfortunately the 4.7" iPhone will be the tiniest bit taller than my Nexus 5 despite it having a larger screen). I'm not bashing a 5.5" screen, I am just saying don't expect the 5.5" iPhone to feel the same in the hands as the 5.5" LG G3.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Yes. Some jokester in the thread decided that they'd have a go at it, as well:

He shouldn't be surprised if Apple asks him for permission to use the design during the introduction of the iWatch. Would be fun having Jony Ive on the stage going through a few designs that are _not_ used before he shows the design or designs that are used. And this one is, in a frightening way, brilliant.

----------

Was wondering……….. what's gonna happen to the 100,000 workers AFTER the iPhone 6….???? Temp?

Before iPhone 6: No job.

While iPhone 6 is being built: Job at Foxconn, which pays about the highest salaries for factory workers in the China. Live cheaply at Foxconn, saving at least 60% of your wages. Do as much overtime as possible to maximise your income (although Apple made Foxconn reduce the amount of possible overtime).

After iPhone 6 is being built: Go back home with your pockets full of money. Buy a piece of land bigger than any of the neighbours, build a house, or use the money to finance going to university.

Remember that while income in China is lower, cost of living is lower as well. McDonalds or Walmart in the USA may pay higher salaries, but people can't live on these salaries and definitely not save any money because they have to pay US prices for rent, food, clothing and so on.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
I'm with you. The 5.5" isn't going to happen.

There haven't been any legitimate leaks of the 5.5" iPhone for a reason: it doesn't exist.

Nope agreeing here, and don't want it to happen either.

Last edited:

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
If apple doesn't release a 4" iPhone 6 I won't be updating. For one thing the keyboard would be too big to type on with one thumb comfortably.

The 4" is already a stretch to reach the top of the screen. I don't want the whole phone to be like that.
Good news, Apple has released 4" iPhone already, it's called 5s ;)

A. Dumbledore

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
I hope they don't do that. Either release both at the same time or wait another year to release a bigger iPhone.

I don't want to buy the 4.7" iPhone then a month later there is a faster higher end one and my device is already inferior.

I honestly believe though the 5.5" IS NOT coming out, at least this year with all the leaks only leaning towards a 4.7".

Don't be like Samsung and release multiple phones months apart!

Actually wouldn't it be weird if Apple made another keynote for the 5.5" after the 4.7" was released? Usually keynotes last an hour and half+.

"So heres a bigger iPhone! Its 5.5"...BYE!" So my theory is they will announce both phones together but ship at different times. Thats the only plausible way I can see them releasing both phones in the same year.

Most likely. In theory it doesn't seem too bad of a decision. You will have those who do not care for a larger phone out and immediately buy the 4.7 inch. The rest who would flirt with the idea of a 5.5 will wait. Even though apple is rumored to be having so many made in time of launch, this could potentially help out with the inventory issues apple is known for in previous launches.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
Breaking news!! --- Apple releasing 5.5 inch iPhone 6.
Update --- No it's not.
Developing story --- 5.5 inch may be coming later.
Breaking!!! --- IT'S COMING NOW!
Update --- Maybe.
:p;)
lolol ...

Listen to this guy , he knows his apple roumors..

Oh, btw, at this moment in secret underground lair in south korea >

Samsung alert , Samsung alert !!! Must spawn two exclusive galaxy models in next month !!! Invent, invent (copy, copy) mood sensor, 5,5000011 inch screen , tri-flash 25mpix photo, special new bulk apps , etc !!!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Most likely. In theory it doesn't seem too bad of a decision. You will have those who do not care for a larger phone out and immediately buy the 4.7 inch. The rest who would flirt with the idea of a 5.5 will wait. Even though apple is rumored to be having so many made in time of launch, this could potentially help out with the inventory issues apple is known for in previous launches.

I think this would be crazy.

iPhone 4.7 sales would stagnate whilst people waited the few weeks for the 5.5" model.

It either has to be at the same time, or perhaps 6 months away to make people go for the 4.7" en mass

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
Just a thought

Maybe the intention is to start with 4.7" first and then begin production of the 5.5" version a bit later because Apple believe that the 4.7" will outsell its bigger brother?

Is it possible that while the 5.5" will no doubt be popular there may simply be a larger market for the 4.7" phone?

Simple Jack

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2014
I think this would be crazy.

iPhone 4.7 sales would stagnate whilst people waited the few weeks for the 5.5" model.

It either has to be at the same time, or perhaps 6 months away to make people go for the 4.7" en mass

You're daft if you really believe apple and their sales would suffer that badly if they did a move like that. Keep in mind, regardless of the market, apple is doing this with idea of appealing to two different markets. Both will be a success with little difference to the iPad ( I mean you see comments from people indicating they're going to get both after all)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Maybe the rumours about 5.5" is for the release of september 2015.
this year will be 2 models: 4" and 4.7"
next year: 4.7" and 5.5"
and by the end of 2020 we all have to choose between 6" and 7"

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Nope agreeing here, and don't want it to happen either.

How will you be impacted if Apple releases different variant models of its most popular product?

As pointed out by someone else Apple currently has:
  • 21" and a 27" iMac
  • 13" and 15" MacBook Pros
  • 11" and 13" MacBook Air
  • 7.9" and 9.7" iPad

but no, the iPhone must stay one size because, um, uhhh, well, a few people on the internet said so, yeah that's why.

Your post and all the related replies are so comical to me because you don't have to purchase either product if what is released this fall doesn't meet your needs, but step aside because I am looking forward to the possible 5.5" iPhone while you cling to whatever idea you think makes you believe you know what the market wants.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Looking forward to all the whining about how the 5.5" will have a feature or something that distinguishes it apart from the 4.7, other than the screen. "How dare they not make the 4.7 the flagship!!!!$#$@#!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.