4.7-Inch iPhone to Feature Wireless Charging Next Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 29, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple's next-generation 4.7-inch iPhone will feature glass casing with wireless charging, according to the latest research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo obtained by MacRumors.
    Kuo previously said all new iPhones are "likely" to support wireless charging next year, so 5.5-inch and all-new OLED models will likely gain the feature as well in addition to the now-confirmed 4.7-inch model.

Kuo believes Apple will switch to glass casing for next year's entire iPhone lineup in order to support wireless charging, with Pegatron being the exclusive supplier of the new 4.7-inch iPhone and a wireless charger expected to be included with at least some models. The wireless charger will allegedly have wider availability by 2018.

The new 4.7-inch iPhone and an OLED model featuring a "completely all-new-design form factor and notably superior specs" are predicted to drive "potentially unprecedented replacement demand" from smartphone users. Kuo forecasts Apple could sell 120-150 million new iPhones in the back half of 2017, topping an iPhone 6 sales record.
    Apple will presumably announce its next-generation iPhone lineup in September 2017.

Article Link: 4.7-Inch iPhone to Feature Wireless Charging Next Year

2. yanksfan114 macrumors 6502

I'm too excited for the next iPhone to be this far from release

3. TheHorrorNerd macrumors regular

Apple going round 3 with the IPhone 6 kind of does that to you

4. lancastor macrumors 6502a

So the Plus users have to wait for 2018 iPhone 8S for wireless charging capabilities? :(

5. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

But is it thinner, and does it only have ports that you can't connect to anything without a multitude of (not included) adaptors?

6. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Hopefully this will be long range wireless charging and not need a puck or dock.

7. Alenore macrumors 6502

So there will be about 10 available on release day

8. pentidoes macrumors 6502

pentidoes

I'm out. My Apple hype is done for. While I do believe that an all-glass phone does make sense. I'm just too frustrated with Apple right now to care anymore.

Good luck, I'm sure it will be nice. Let's just wait what they continue to do wrong in software development (GUI??? Stability anyone?), in lack of pros (there used to be a Mac Pro) and customer support (amazon is way better now, than Apple is, Apple has become frustrating with its computerized standard replies that do not make sense and with customer support that does not even comprehend what I'm saying and that is not for lack of language capabilities but of technical and customer-oriented understanding.)

Again: good luck.

9. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I'm really looking forward to the iPhone 7S
    I'll take mine in gloss black
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2016 ---
    2018 will be for the iPhone 8.. iPhone 8S will be in 2019

10. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

While Apple is studying the idea of wireless charging, the fact wireless charge phones tend to be fairly thick and the issues raised by the Samsung Galaxy 7 debacle could force Apple to kibosh that idea.

11. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Thats okay as 4.7 inch owners will have to wait the same year for the camera improvements only the Plus gets #fragmentation

12. johngordon macrumors 68000

Wireless charging where you put the phone on a mat, rather than on a dock.... don't really see the benefit.

But if wireless charging can work where you have a few things plugged in around the house so that the phone isn't losing its charge while you're using it, without it needing to be placed somewhere.... potentially brilliant.

13. Oblivious.Robot, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

So it's either wireless charging or top of the line specs with oled screen?

Much choices,
    Such decisions..

Oh the fragmentation. :confused:

Edit -
    [ They updated the article, and that's good to have same features in both/all iPhones ]

14. Marx55 macrumors 68000

Wireless whatever is a waste of energy and Earth aggression and should be avoided whenever possible.

15. Larry The L Suspended

From what I hear, it will be more like 2020.

16. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Induction Wireless Charging now thats a new thing? And would explain why everybody is overreacting, right? Oh. It's not? Well what's all the fuss? Oh. Glass case. Now that's definitely new surely? Ok. OLED screens on mobiles a first? Yeah. It's the OLED screen. Surely!

17. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

There's nothing in your quote that is remotely factual. Wireless charging phones aren't fairly thick and afaik there hasn't been a Galaxy 7 debacle. Not sure if your wording was intentional or not. The Note dumpster fire is not a Galaxy 7 debacle since the 7 entails the S, Edge, and the Note. Yes, I'm being pedantic.

On topic: wireless charging is convenient but not the be all/end all of features. I lay my phone on the charger without looking for a plug. It saves me 3 seconds. Meh.

18. Ritmo macrumors member

Ritmo

Wireless charging. 0 ports. Good luck keeping devs on your platform!

19. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

When there is so much new going into the 2017 iPhone I have to wonder how many hardware bugs (aka 'Gate') will come out. Something this new is worth a pass. I'll wait for the 2018 model.

20. Shlooky macrumors regular

Earth aggression??

21. MentalFloss macrumors 65816

MentalFloss

I think the new thing will not be the wireless charging, the OLED or the glass, but the fact that it will be a seamless, buttonless design without any holes/outlets whatsoever. One single block of glass.

So in usual Apple fashion, it will not be a single new technology, but putting various state of the art technologies together in a new way that will make it special.

22. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Yes me as well. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds between now and next September.

23. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Hey, it's fair, the 4.7 users had to wait two years for OIS. Oh, the fragmentation...

24. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

i interpreted this differently. i see it as him confirming the the 4.7 will also have it.

25. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I understand the importance of this tech for waterproofing devices, though It would scare me to think we could eventually have an iPhone with zero ports because everything is wireless. It makes sense on the watch, however, I am not interested in wireless charging of the phone itself.

Technology that radiates energy throughout the room to charge a phone. No thanks... o_O