$4.99 synthetic-leather case works perfectly on my new iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TB07-NJ, Mar 20, 2012.

1. TB07-NJ, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

They just jacked up the price to $9.99, not such a great deal anymore.

$4.99 with free shipping and a choice of colors. Can't go wrong. Got one of these for my wife's iPad 2 and just put it on the "3" and it works flawlessly including the screen sleep function. The only thing I don't like about it is that it uses the elastic to hold the case closed (although I don't use it). It's actually quite nice and will hold me off until all the 3rd party manufacturers get their magnetic ducks in a row. Real synthetic :) leather, not the P.U. stuff that smells like dead meat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310373242951

Edit: Amazon still has it for $5. If you have Prime it's free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-App...99I8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1332389520&sr=8-4

2. rookiezzz macrumors regular

can you give us some pictures please?

that $5 price really tempts me :D

3. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

There are 12 pictures on the eBay link that are as good as I can provide. What specifically do you want to see that isn't there?

4. ImaVeggie macrumors regular

ImaVeggie

5. bobright macrumors 601

well of course what do you expect...lol

6. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Damn .... I can swear when I got it a few weeks ago it said "real leather" on the eBay sale. Sure looks and feels like it and doesn't smell at all. Anyway OP changed. Thanks for keeping me honest. I wouldn't want to mislead anyone out of 5 bucks. Still, for $5 it's a lot nicer than the $40+tax Targus one I got from Best Buy.

7. rookiezzz macrumors regular

The real picture as the ads pictures are mostly edited or photoshopped. Also, is the stand sturdy enough? Thanks!

8. TB07-NJ, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Sturdy enough for what? Using it as an obstacle course wall, no. I wouldn't type on it in the "full upright movie watching" position but in the typing position it's fine. Using it right now.

The photos on eBay look like what I have and not photoshopped but I guess anything is possible. Geez, it's only 5 bucks. It had to cost them at least $2.50 to ship it.

I was thinking of buying 100 of them and selling them as iPad 3 cases for $25 like all the other manufacturers are doing. :eek: They sold over 1,000 of them and no bad feedback going back a few weeks about them.

9. gigaguy macrumors 65816

no can do, cases that cover the glass edge scratch it. Dirt and debris get under that lip. unless you put on a screen protector.

10. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

LOL, maybe we're just clean here. :cool: There are dozens of these types made by dozens of manufacturers and I haven't heard that one before. I think this one has a Spacetec Dust Shield. ;)

11. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Great find. I am looking for a case that is like the Joy Smart Suit but made out of topgrain leather.

12. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I've bought other things on eBay from that seller before. They have good quality & cheap prices. Fast shipping too.

13. gigaguy macrumors 65816

well it happened to me on my 2. and I occassionally removed my case to clean under the lip on the glass. but dirt got in and ground in on the glass bezel. not terrible but I was surprised. I had a power support on my iPad1 with similar cases and of course, the glass was fresh as a doozy.

14. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

wow thanks for the heads up! Just sent the email to my wife with a link.

I got her an iPad 3 delivered on launch day and she NEVER touches it. I put a screen protector on but I think she's afraid because it doesn't have a case and she doesn't know if she wants a keyboard case or what so it just sits there (I play with it A LOT).

If I can convince her to invest the $5 in this thing until she makes up her friggin mind (keeping in mind that the next iteration iPad will probably come out in about a year so "hurry up honey") maybe she'll actually USE the shiny new $650 toy I bought her. :D

15. bobright macrumors 601

Can you post some actual pictures of it?

Thanks

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

she txt me back and said she wanted red.

Red it is.

Just ordered it.

If/when I get it, I'll post pics but someone has to quote one of my posts (so it shows up in my notifications) and remond me lol

17. M87 macrumors 65816

This is the second thread today that made me spend five dollars. I got a red one for the iPad 2 I gave my mom. The only complaint I'm seeing in reviews is that it needs a little velcro. Easy fix. Thanks for the tip!

18. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Looking at the eBay photos and looking at mine, it's identical. There are 12 pictures there covering every angle. There is nothing different I can show you. It's $4.99. They'll even take it back if you don't like it.

----------

Sorry, I never had a doozy so I have nothing to compare it to. ;)

----------

Velcro? There would be no place to put any velcro that would do anything unless you put it on the glass. :eek: OIC, maybe on the back to hold the cover folded back. Velcro would cost more than the case! :)

19. Overtheboards macrumors newbie

Nice catch...Just placed an order. $5=no brainer!

20. bobright macrumors 601

Fair enough one more quick question, does the iPad fit extremely snug the reason im asking is do you think I could fit the new iPad in there with a full body skin attached? Is there just a tad room where you think it would work?

I know it's just 5 bucks but I dont want to get if my iPad wont fit with a shield.

21. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

It slides in quite easily with what seems like sufficient room but I really don't want to commit myself (although my wife wants me to).

What I did was I just took one of those USPS prepaid priority mail "very thin cardboard" envelopes and cut them to the size of the iPad and slid one in front and back. Back one went in easy and the front was a tight fit but these are not stuck directly on the iPad plus I believe they are thicker then a skin so I would say the chances are more yes than no that it will fit. OTOH the skins aren't as slippery as the cardboard.

22. bobright macrumors 601

Thanks for your response, sounds like its worth taking a shot going to go ahead and order one. I was inspecting the pics on a big monitor and around the frame where the iPad sits in it does seem there is some space in and around there. I will report the results once mine comes in.

Which color did you grab? Loving the Brown will probably go with that.:)

23. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Black. Black is the new white. :D Besides it's only a temporary thing.

24. bobright macrumors 601

True last question I promise hehe does it indeed come from Brooklyn NY like the location says? can't stand waiting if it's china looking at a 3 week wait :mad:

25. neweipadfan macrumors member

$5 case and its not leather? thats crazy and this guys feedback proves he sells quality items

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...ch=negative&interval=30&_trkparms=negative_30