4 inch screen left behind?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Dec 19, 2014.

1. nouveau-apple, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014

nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

Nothing in a 4 inch really got any updated hardware. Is the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus the new standard? To say that all new iPhones will be 4.7 and above? I may have purchased 4 inch iPhone 6 myself. What was the perfect size has suddenly changed.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Highly subjective. Personally, I think that 4.7 is the perfect size.

3. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I'm hoping the 4" is refreshed next year. Maybe a 6c etc or an updated 5s. I'd have also snapped up a 4" iPhone 6.

For me personally perfect screen size is 4.3" Everyone will have a different idea.

4. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

These sizes seem to be popular with Asian consumers mostly. They could've stuck with the 4 inch but changed the bezels to increase the display.

These bigger phones are weird I think of them as tablets and not actually phones

5. abowlby macrumors member

abowlby

Given the success of the 6/6P I kind of doubt that Cook & Co. plan on looking back anytime soon.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

After a couple of weeks with an iPhone 6 the 4" seem very small.
    Maybe 4.7" is the right portable size.

7. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

It's like when I made the jump from the 4S to 5S and the 4S screen seemed so small- I wondered how I used it- even the 5S screen is the size of a business card.

8. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

There are two rumors happening one from BGR and the other from an Indian website. They both think that the new iPhone Mini will be the entry level bottom class iPhone for 2015.

It is rumor to have a A7, 1GB RAM, 8GB storage and have the same polycarbonate case as the 5C but will be limited to only two colors: White and Black. The Indian site said that it will be a more upscale model with an A8 inside and have the same components as the current iPhone 6 with the polycarbonate case and be offered in the same colors as the 5C with limited storage: 8GB, 16GB. Both still will not have the NFC chip in it for Apple Pay nor the Touch ID technology.

9. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

4" screen is gone....yesterday's news. Unless you have fantastic vision, tiny hands, and only use a 4" phone just to talk on, then yes, the 4" would be for you. Otherwise, the bigger screens are here to stay. Movies can be seen on a 5.5", 4".... No! 4.7" for movies, borderline...

T

10. meistervu macrumors 65816

It's funny how fast things change, or appear to change, on this forum. Suddenly the 4" screen is the new laserdisc.

I enjoy my 4.7" screen, but I do miss the compactness of a 4" screen. For things like making a phone call or sending/receiving text, the 4" screen is much better. I think a 4" iPhone 6 would feel awesome in my hand. I miss the day when I had my iPhone 5 in my pocket and had to check to make sure it's there.

I am looking forward to the day when I am not so dependent on a phone that I can afford to carry a 4" phone again.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

4" is dead in all likelihood.

A smart phone benefits greatly with a larger display from a productivity and content consumption perspective. A larger display is just a given.

Apple held out a long time, but even they saw where the winds are blowing.

12. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I do love my 6+, but even so, I prefer to use the iPad for normal usage.So I could actually do with a 3.5" phone for my calls only. But with the constant picture taking, I prefer the 6+ camera. If the 7 came in a 4" size, I would actually pick up one of those instead of any larger versions. But despite that long stretch of a rumor, I think apple will only be releasing these two current-sized versions for the foreseeable future.

13. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

4" is the perfect size.
    16:9 ratio, and able to be used by one hand. can still do everything a 4.7" screen can.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You're probably complaining about the absence of the 4" iPhone because you haven't taken the plunge and tried using the 4.7" for a week or so.

I guarantee you, after a week or two of usage, you'll be surprised at how small the 4" iPhone feels.

15. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

I like the larger phones, however with a small tablet I also like the idea of a updated smaller 3.5" screen size. Even 4" is good. I was looking around for even an older one with a good camera and for 3.5 I have to go back to the 4S.

The market is lacking in options at the moment for smaller displays on UP TO DATE tech.

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Seem like it was not so long ago Apple diehards were freaking out with the rumors of the iphone 5 being bigger. So many swore they would never buy a larger iPhone and yet the 5/5S was a tremendous success. Seems those feelings are way behind us as the 6 and 6 Plus are even a bigger success.

Can't see Apple bringing back a 4" screen or even maintaining it for much longer.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The 4.7" screen is also 16:9 ratio and able to be used by one hand.

18. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the 6 right now. I like it. But I do think the 5 was more discreet.

The 6 is plenty big. It's almost like an iPad.

They should keep the 4" in all new iterations of the iPhone. Like the iPhone 7 should have a 4" option.

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well too bad. The sun has set for the 4" phone industry.

If you're a small minority who still wants a 4", too bad. Suck it up and buy an iPhone 5S, or jump ship to another manufacturer. Although I doubt you can find much high-end phones with tiny 4" screens.

The majority always wins. If you're the minority, tough luck.

Edit: I just saw your username. How I wish I hadn't replied to this bloody thread that rhymes with scroll at all.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A 4.7 inch screen is almost like an iPad?:rolleyes: What a ridiculous statement.

21. meistervu macrumors 65816

How would you feel if the only kinds of apple you can buy at the stores are Red Delicious and Fuji if you are 2 out of the 10 people who want a different type of apple?

For 120 millions+ iPhones sold a year, you represent 24 millions, but a minority nevertheless. The profit from those phones is more than the GDP of some countries.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The Apple Store still sell dwarf apples (i.e., the 5s and 5c), you know :D

23. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I'd like to see apple update the 4" with some crazy new changes, and see if people leave the 4.7 and 5.5", and go back to "small".

I don't care WHAT upgrades/updates they make to the 4" (if they even did update the 4"). I'll NEVER leave my 5.5". Even if the 4" was upgraded enough to be considered the "elite" model, and had over the top new options not available in the 4.7 or 5.5. Couldn't care less.

4.7 even feels too small for me.

Now if Apple made a 5.7 or 5.9"................

24. meistervu macrumors 65816

I am with you. After using my iPad Air, everything else feels small to me.

----------

Hey, they are heirloom apples :)

25. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

The 4 inches must survive! Phones weren't meant to be this big! I think the 6 Plus should be down played like the 5c since it is one of those secondary releases.

If you have to use reach ability that just goes to show

I think the 7 will have all sizes.