Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul17win

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Hey guys i guess i just need some convincing. my friend bought one last week and we hooked it up to the internet and played some COD4 and i was hooked, now im on the verge of going down to bestbuy and purchasing a brand new PS3. Should I?????

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Until it has something exclusive worth playing, I'd get a 360.

But then he wont be able to play online with his friend....

Have a look at the forthcoming games for 2008 and see if you see enough games you may want to play to justify it to yourself.

At the end of the day it's your decision. :)

There's no right or wrong answer we can give you.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If you want to play it with your friend get the PS3.
If you want to play with many more people get it for the 360 or PC.

paul17win

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
ha i already have a 360, im trying to sell it because i dont want to have to pay for online.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
If you think you'd have fun with it and can afford it sure. The system isn't horribly flawed. It is a little expensive and doesn't have a bunch of good games but at least it doesn't have hardware problems like the xbox (stares at xbox).

paul17win

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
i think instead of buying an expensive HD tv im going to purchase the dell 2407 ultra sharp monitor and hook the PS3 up to that. then i can also use the monitor with my MBP(t-minus 15 days and counting) then away goes my powerbook

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I love my PS3. Plus Haze (ps3 exclusive) looks pretty awesome. Most of my friends have 360's, but I still think it was worth it for me to get a PS3. Some of the exclusives are awesome, like Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Resistance Fall of Man.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
You can save money with a PS3. Seriously.

I do. :)

Turn down the heat by 10 degrees or so, and fire up Folding @ Home. Help cure cancer / disease, and heat your home all at once. ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I love my PS3. Plus Haze (ps3 exclusive) looks pretty awesome..

Haze looks awesome ? :eek:

From everything I have seen it looks like overhyped generic fps. It has terrible draw distance for things like grass and stuff in in outside locations, and all the inside locations I have seen so far are from 'generic grey office' template 'generic industrial zone' template.

If this game actually turns out to be anything other than a very average game at best, I will eat my PS3. ;)

FreedomFighter

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
I just got my PS3 and i love it, the ease of use is awesome and the free online play, no that i look back i can't believe i considered the 360. Plus now i can get Blue Ray DVD's ;) to watch on my new screen. My game of choice for PS3 would be COD4, good campaign and great online play, Plenty of servers all times of day:).

Freedom

madfresh

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Go and buy one, trust me. I've had a Wii, 360, and now I just own the PS3. To me the Wii and its controls were a gimmick. Now the 360 is a decent console if it didn't break all the time. PS3 is the most reliable console I've seen and it also has a blu-ray player.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Looks like you've only seen this gen of consoles then ;) some machines prior have been nigh on invincible.

SNES, anyone? Makes great battle armor in a pinch.

paul17win, I want a PS3, because I like consoles. I'll end up with one when Gran Turismo and MGS4 are out. But right now, I have a dead 360, and I still can't muster up the desire to own the thing. I harbor no ill will towards the PS3, like I said, I will end up with one.

It's really just that Xbox Live is simply brilliant. I think if you can afford to drop coin on a PS3, surely a few bucks a month for an online experience leaps and bounds ahead of Sony's is a no brainer.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I one one of every console, and the PS3 wins for me hands down! Thinking of selling my Wii.

No, no, no, no!!! You may need to use your Wii sometime.... :eek:

Hey guys i guess i just need some convincing. my friend bought one last week and we hooked it up to the internet and played some COD4 and i was hooked, now im on the verge of going down to bestbuy and purchasing a brand new PS3. Should I?????

Yes....

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
It's really just that Xbox Live is simply brilliant. I think if you can afford to drop coin on a PS3, surely a few bucks a month for an online experience leaps and bounds ahead of Sony's is a no brainer.

For me, I don't really need great online. I just need something that works, and PSN is just that. Plus with the free Home coming out I think the online will be pretty sweet, even if it isn't as good as live. And PSN didn't have problems over Christmas :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.