Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch S4 will you get?

• 40mm

Votes: 391 29.6%
  • 44mm

Votes: 932 70.4%

• Total voters

mgscheue

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2018
Does it look so small though? Are you judging on looks or functionality?

Does my 40mm AW look too small?
2fb649ad1251d09f736f82713ebd2913.jpg

I think it looks great.

Belle Pomme

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2020
This does become an issue each time I consider a new watch. This time, I have bought the 44mm watch. I have small wrists, but I genuinely like the bigger screen. Some watch faces cause the watch to look more large, and for me it is harder to sleep and exercise with the 44mm watch. It shifts much more than my former 40mm watch.

timobedlam

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2020
Can't decide between the 40mm (orange) or the 44mm (green). I'm 6 feet and fairly lanky. The 40mm seems a little too small but the 44mm seems a little too big. Advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• both.jpg
    both.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 3,600
  • green.jpg
    green.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 792
  • orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 796

techtechtech

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
UK
Can't decide between the 40mm (orange) or the 44mm (green). I'm 6 feet and fairly lanky. The 40mm seems a little too small but the 44mm seems a little too big. Advice would be appreciated.
That is a tough one, you seem very much in between sizes. With that strap style you could get away with the 44mm but the 40mm looks more in proportion to your wrist. Wish my wrist was that size, I'd probably be tempted by the 44!

Great example of the two watch sizes ?

focalplane

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
I've got a 42mm 1st Gen (yes, I have to charge it twice a day!) so I think I'm overdue an upgrade however I have the Milanese Loop and it was a present from my Wife so I don't want it ending up in a drawer. This means the only option I have is 44mm. I'm thinking it might be a bit big :(

tempImagehwqxRK.jpg

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

konicky

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Are any non-Apple UK stores such as Curry's allowing you to try on watches at the moment ?

techtechtech

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
UK
I've got a 42mm 1st Gen (yes, I have to charge it twice a day!) so I think I'm overdue an upgrade however I have the Milanese Loop and it was a present from my Wife so I don't want it ending up in a drawer. This means the only option I have is 44mm. I'm thinking it might be a bit big :(

View attachment 964155
I can see why you would like to keep using the existing loop, the 44mm is going to be getting close to the width of your wrist though, for my taste I'd say the 42mm is already on the limit.

Also depends how you find the 42mm for size and if it gets in the way. I guess all you can do is try a 44 and see how it fits ?

If I see many more images of 42 and 44mm watches I might end up ordering one to wrap around my twig like wrist ?

Reactions: focalplane

mosesa

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011

View attachment 964155
I am in the same boat as you. Still wearing my Gen 1. But I ordered the series 6 in a 44. I looked at pictures online comparing the 44 and the 42 and I didnt think it looked like that much difference. And I didnt want to go smaller than what I had, I felt like it was already small for some of the stuff I do on it. mine isnt getting here till next week or I would show you the difference on my wrist between the two.

Reactions: focalplane

focalplane

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
I can see why you would like to keep using the existing loop, the 44mm is going to be getting close to the width of your wrist though, for my taste I'd say the 42mm is already on the limit.

Also depends how you find the 42mm for size and if it gets in the way. I guess all you can do is try a 44 and see how it fits ?

If I see many more images of 42 and 44mm watches I might end up ordering one to wrap around my twig like wrist ?

At the time, the 38mm was way too small and looked a bit ridiculous, so the 42mm was really the only option. It's never gotten in the way, and always felt comfortable, and, from what I understand the new 44mm is a bit slimmer, which will help.

techtechtech

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
UK
At the time, the 38mm was way too small and looked a bit ridiculous, so the 42mm was really the only option. It's never gotten in the way, and always felt comfortable, and, from what I understand the new 44mm is a bit slimmer, which will help.
If you find the 38mm too small then I would pass on the 40mm, the latter does give more screen real estate but the physical size will be much the same. The 44mm is marginally slimmer which will most likely help although you still have the extra 2mm to swallow.

If you are happy with the 42mm then I'd say just go with the 44, you can continue to use the existing loop as well. That Milanese loop also protrudes less from the watch which tends to make it look smaller compared to say a sport band.

Pictures with your hand in the shot could give a better perspective and some others might chime in.

Last edited:

iRondi

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2016
Raleigh, NC
About ready to order the 6. I’ve been thru the size question with the 4. I tried on both watches and went with bigger one. I don’t care so much about which looks better. The big one looks like an oversized watch for me - and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I chose the bigger size because of my old eyes (50 something eyesight ... reading small print is no fun). But I struggle a bit because the watch feels bulky. There‘s a difference between trying on and wearing a while. I’m leaning toward 44 mm again. Just pondering. I want to wear the 40 and read the 44. Posting picture of current watch. I measured for the solo band and would be a 4. I am not petite - just have smallish wrists.

7AA5FE58-3122-4299-8E41-AE9D4BF3607C.jpeg

techtechtech

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
UK
About ready to order the 6. I’ve been thru the size question with the 4. I tried on both watches and went with bigger one. I don’t care so much about which looks better. The big one looks like an oversized watch for me - and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I chose the bigger size because of my old eyes (50 something eyesight ... reading small print is no fun). But I struggle a bit because the watch feels bulky. There‘s a difference between trying on and wearing a while. I’m leaning toward 44 mm again. Just pondering. I want to wear the 40 and read the 44. Posting picture of current watch. I measured for the solo band and would be a 4. I am not petite - just have smallish wrists.

View attachment 964935
Sounds to me like this comes down to practicality of the size vs legibility of the screen. I can certainly relate to wanting to wear the 40 and read the 44 though. You could always try a 40 this time around and return for the 44 if reading the screen is a struggle. I prefer the 38/40 sizes and forget I am wearing them for the most part, 44 is a big temptation but I'm just not really a big watch person. Go with your gut instinct, normally right :)

pacerfan2

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2020
Really struggling to figure out if I should get a 40mm vs 44mm. 40mm is the blue/pink (my wifes watch), black is 44. Any thoughts? Thank you! 161mm wrists

Attachments

• IMG_7064.jpg
    IMG_7064.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_7063.jpg
    IMG_7063.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_7065.jpg
    IMG_7065.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_7068.jpg
    IMG_7068.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_7072.jpg
    IMG_7072.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_7073.jpg
    IMG_7073.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_7062.jpg
    IMG_7062.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_7062.jpg
    IMG_7062.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 568

techtechtech

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
UK
Really struggling to figure out if I should get a 40mm vs 44mm. 40mm is the blue/pink (my wifes watch), black is 44. Any thoughts? Thank you! 161mm wrists
I think the 40 looks fine and more natural but surprisingly the 44 doesn't look huge either, your wrists must be quite flat.

The sport band (solo loop?) seems to fit better on the 40 where as on the 44 that band is wanting a bit more wrist to wrap around, regardless they both work. If the 40 was space grey with a black strap it might look a bit larger on the wrist, maybe something to consider.

iRondi

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Sounds to me like this comes down to practicality of the size vs legibility of the screen. I can certainly relate to wanting to wear the 40 and read the 44 though. You could always try a 40 this time around and return for the 44 if reading the screen is a struggle. I prefer the 38/40 sizes and forget I am wearing them for the most part, 44 is a big temptation but I'm just not really a big watch person. Go with your gut instinct, normally right :)

i went with 40 mm. I decided that a big reason I didn’t wear AW4 a whole lot was size. I can always exchange if I hate the 40 mm. I’ve worn the 44 but never the 40.

Reactions: swerve147

techtechtech

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
UK
i went with 40 mm. I decided that a big reason I didn’t wear AW4 a whole lot was size. I can always exchange if I hate the 40 mm. I’ve worn the 44 but never the 40.
Sounds like the right decision, especially if you found yourself not wearing the existing 44mm series 4 due to size. Hope you will be pleased with the smaller 40mm when it arrives.

pacerfan2

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2020
I think the 40 looks fine and more natural but surprisingly the 44 doesn't look huge either, your wrists must be quite flat.

The sport band (solo loop?) seems to fit better on the 40 where as on the 44 that band is wanting a bit more wrist to wrap around, regardless they both work. If the 40 was space grey with a black strap it might look a bit larger on the wrist, maybe something to consider.
Thank you! Going to see how the space grey 40 looks and likely go with that unless i'm underwhelmed

K4VKS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
44 for sure. 40 looks too small.

K4VKS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007

View attachment 964155
The difference might be negligible, but I think the 40 might be a bit too small for you anyhow.

K4VKS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007

View attachment 964935
I think that 44 looks great! My wife also wears a 44 and loves it also and I think it looks perfect.

K4VKS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Although you could pull off either, my vote is for the 44

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think that 44 looks great! My wife also wears a 44 and loves it also and I think it looks perfect.
It’s interesting to see different points of view. Where you think it looks perfect in an image, I think it’s looks far to big. Never been a fan of watches where the face covers the entire width of the wrist. I like to see it in proportion and admire the strap too. Whatever works for the individual though.

techtechtech

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
UK
It’s interesting to see different points of view. Where you think it looks perfect in an image, I think it’s looks far to big. Never been a fan of watches where the face covers the entire width of the wrist. I like to see it in proportion and admire the strap too. Whatever works for the individual though.
Agree, it is all down to personal preference and the individuals perception of what is too big or too small. I also like to see it in proportion to the wrist with some strap visible from the top.

Generally I'd go with function over form for the most part, which means if the watch is too big that it gets in the way then I would size down. I prefer the watch lugs (edge) to be touching the wrist and not over hanging.

For scientific purposes I might just have to order a 44mm to convince myself again though :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.