4k retina iMac 21.5"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ice Dragon, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I'm coming to the realization that in order to keep pace in Mac world, I may be forced to get a Skylake iMac since the Mac mini may not be what I want. Can we safely assume that Iris Pro 7200 would run a 4k screen well enough if I wasn't gaming on it?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Even the current Iris Pro 5200 in the 15" can drive a 4K display smoothly enough.

3. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Yes it would. I think they would add a GPU though and it would replace the current higher end 1499 model.

The 5k model replaced the 1999 higher end 27 inch so the 21.5 should too.

4. Ice Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I am kind of drawn to the Asus Zen All in One because it has a GTX 960M, DDR4 memory, and 4 lane PCIe SSD.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can't safely assume that it'll get a 4K screen, but if it does then any iris pro graphics will drive it fine.

6. koyoot Suspended

koyoot

Its funny, but 9to5Mac reports that there will be 4K Retina iMac 21.5 inch with new GPUs.
    [​IMG]
    What is interesting is that M390 is Just Tonga from Retina 5K iMac rebranded. So there will possibly be 2 bigger CHips than that.

M380 is 768 GCN core chip with 128 bit bus. What is the rest - we will see in future ;).
    http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/25/4k-imac-2015-apple-tv-remote-touch/

7. Dubadai macrumors regular

Dubadai

I have a feeling they have divided all those cars between the machines.

My speculation:
    1. M380 for the Retina Macbook Pro
    2. M390 for the Retina 21.5" iMac
    3. M395 and 395X for the Retina 27" iMac

8. Ice Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Iris Pro 6200 is going in the base iMac (for $1,299 as I don't count the $1,099 model) and then the M380 will go in the upper 21.5 model. The M390 will go into the base 27" retina possibly with an upgrade to the M395 and then the top model will have the M395X.

9. jerwin macrumors 65816

top model will have the M395X.​

that's the one with the 8K screen, correct?

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

This sounds exactly correct. Can't wait.

11. jerwin macrumors 65816

Of course the vast majority of m3xx cards are rehashes of m2xx cards, which are rehashes of whatever came before. The really new AMD cards are known by the brandname "Fury"-- and are aimed at punters who want to run the latest games at 4k (at playable framerates)
    As for these m3xx cards, maybe the fans won't run quite as loudly as the m2xx cards that came before.

`

12. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

There's not going to be an 8k model.

13. OneZweiThree macrumors regular

Is the Zen available right now? Because as far as i know, they use Skylake, which means, they probably won't be available long before the new iMacs.

14. Geekazoid Suspended

15. OneZweiThree macrumors regular

Yeah, definitely. Just like the Macbook Air -> Zenbook.
    I myself would never consider the Asus AiO, simply because OS X is important to me. I was just curious, because Asus announced the AiO with Skylake about a month ago, but the CPUs won't ship until later this year.

16. Ice Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

It is absolutely a clone however they are doing to me what Apple should be doing and using better components or so it seems from the announcement. PCIe SSD by default instead of an HDD so it seems, nVidia instead of AMD for graphics, DDR4 RAM, etc. We'll see what the price is.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

18. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

That Asus is very nice. Windows is still a no go at home though. That said, I'd be curious to read more about this once it's in the wild (and the price.)

It would be nice if Apple took a cue from them for the internals (better bang for the buck), but who knows what the future could bring. Not sure I'd want a gold desktop though.

19. Geekazoid Suspended

Right, but it still looks pretty impressive, pretty much an iMac for Windows, which many Windows users, like myself, would love. So, I'd definitely buy it, if I didn't already have plans to build a custom PC.

Well, there are some suttle differences, so I wouldn't say it's an exact clone. They are most definitely providing better components and sticking with NVIDIA for the GPU, which I prefer, it looks pretty darn good to me.

What's wrong with Windows? I love the OS, although I have used it for most of my life, so I guess this is subjective to what OS you prefer, but I still see no problems with Windows, and I use OS X a bit as well, no problems.

It is very nice! I'm curious to know if anyone here has actually used Windows, and if so...correctly. I disliked OS X before I tried it, then I found out that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Not sure why there's such hate on Windows, there's no need.

Yes, Apple should take some cues from Asus and provide better specs in their iMacs, totally agree with that.

20. OneZweiThree macrumors regular

Really no hate for Windows. I just prefer OSX, since I like being completely in one Eco system.

You keep saying, that the Asus provides better specs, but since it won't be released, until Apple releases the next iMac (probably), you really can't say that. Since Apple most likely will also use skylake and DDR4. For the GPU on the other hand, I agree with you, but I guess Apple has some reason to stick with AMD.

Also it seems like, Asus won't be using a high dpi screen.

21. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

22. jerwin macrumors 65816

I very much doubt it's a 4K display-- marketing would mention that.

> Dedicated NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 960M gaming-grade graphics ensure you'll enjoy superb stutter-free HD movies and videos in vivid, lifelike colors.

Umm, isn't that a given with any old graphics card?

Looks like a rip off of the iMac, complete with vent under the stand. Is that the best solution for venting heat? Then again, the 960m has a 75W TDP.

> Zen AiO is a precision-crafted masterpiece inspired by the spirit of Zen. It combines the simplicity of pure aluminum with the sophistication of advanced technology to create timeless yet practical beauty for your home.

Ah. This explains it.

“Good artists copy. Great artists steal.”-- Steve Jobs

23. Zarniwoop macrumors 6502a

Intel just released Broadwell with Iris Pro 6200. That coupled with DDR4 would be perfect for retina 21.5". Not sure, if they're gonna put dGPU on 21.5" models any more.. because Broadwell chip is expensive.. nearly same price as current Haswell combined with 750M together. If they put dGPU option, it will make retina iMac a lot more expensive.

Let's hope they use cheaper Intel processor with dGPU.

It is possible that they'll get rid of low-res displays for iMacs. Maybe not yet this year, but next. If someone wants low-res, Mac Mini with external display is for them.

24. kazmac, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I won't rag on Windows just because I prefer OS X. I am simply not a fan of Windows because of countless bad experiences at work.

I use it correctly. I've always had problems (lots of crashes, freezes, compatibility issues etc.) Lately, Windows 8 has a very hard time of multi-tasking within a variety of Microsoft products (all 2010 in this case.) in which I have 2-3 Microsoft programs open, several web pages, an image editor and music playing in the background. There are constant freezes and crashes, resulting in my sometimes having to reboot multiple times in one day. Now some of this could be network or aging equipment issues, but it's a frustrating experience which has happened a lot more with this current project. The firm won't pay for upgrades either.

I am glad there are several operating systems and what works for you just does not work for me. :)

On my 5 year old iMac I can do the exact same thing of playing music while having two-three suite applications open, several web pages, an image editor and move / cut and paste between all with no hiccups at all.

I've always preferred OS X because it is just so easy to use and outside of some weirdo issues with Mavericks and Yosemite (which I believe is Apple's sloppy rush job), it is still much more stable and easier to use.

I truly hope we get news of a new 21.5" iMac soon. I want and hope my 2010 will make it to this time next year, but I'd like some options if that is not the case.

25. jerwin macrumors 65816

Looking around at various articles and youtube videos, it is 1080p, and there is one USB-C port, the other four being USB-A sockets.

No word on whether the base configuration is i7, 500 GB SSD, 32 GB, or whether that's merely the top BTO configuration.