Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Just got my Apple TV 4K and was treated to a message that "you may not be able to stream 4k videos because your speed might have dropped below 15mbps"

The only problem is that my speed averages 50mbps, and when I check my speed at that time it was 48.

Sure enough, 4k streaming has looked absolutely terrible, not even sure if it's streaming in HD. Right after, I tried streaming the same apps and shows using my built-in Samsung apps, and they streamed in crystal clear 4K.

Everything on the Apple TV 4K seems incredibly slow, including Amazon/Netflix apps populating images, and loading videos. It can't be my internet connection given that my Samsung apps are lightning quick and playing in 4k.

Does anyone know what would be causing this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_9432.jpg
    IMG_9432.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 929
Last edited:

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Have you tried using the 5G WiFi setting - maybe it's using 2.4?
Try a reset or a bend new set up as this sounds highly unusual for ATV. I had 50mbps before upgrading to 250 and had no issues ever.
Best of luck with it and please keep us updated!
Plus try disconnecting the Samsung from the WiFi - is it hogging the signal??? Sounds as though something is stealing / blocking the WiFi strength to me.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
EDIT: After I disconnected my Samsung TV from wifi, my wireless on the ATV4K was still terrible for about an hour (even with a hard reset), with apps taking minutes to look just a few app logos, was ready to return it.

After trying again, the wireless was momentarily quick and 4k streaming looked outstanding.

The second time, it's back to being slow and unusable, with awful streaming quality.

UGH.

Last edited:

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
To show how awful the ATV streaming has been, the first photo is the ATV 4K streaming Amazon. It's incredibly blurry and pixelated, probably 240p on a 65 inch TV. Seconds later, I play the same scene on my Samsung Amazon app [see photo], the streaming got to 4k in just a few seconds. Speedtest.net at the moment showed 30/download.

This is beyond frustrating...
IMG_9438-2.jpg
IMG_9439-2.jpg

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you can download the speed test app on the appleTV, try that and see what speeds you get.

also be aware, speedtest (anywhere on your network) will use your speed, so if you're running it on your laptop at the same time as trying to watch video, the video will suffer.

it definitely sounds like a bandwidth problem inside your home.
easiest way to fix... hardwire ethernet for the aTV.

if that's not possible, make sure the aTV isn't buried or hidden,
in you mind, draw a straight line between the aTV and your router, see if there's anyway to make that as unobstructed as possible. metal is worse than wood / drywall. depending on the age of your home, there could be metal lathe inside your walls.

if you're far away from your router, it's possible 2.4g may be faster than 5g, as 5 doesn't go through things like walls as well. you could try giving your networks 2 different names, and see if one is better than the other.

if hardwiring is not an option and you can't fix the wi-fi, power line networking is another option.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=powerline+networking

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I still don’t understand how using the same wireless connection, my Samsung TV streams 4K nearly instantly and the Apple TV is basically unusable because it can’t even load up videos.

Ran Speed Test on my ATV 4K...comparison a few minutes apart

ATV 4: 2.59 download
Macbook Pro: 34.59 download
Samsung TV (browser): 16.21 download

This is insane. The ATV is 8 feet away from my wireless router (which is in a closet). Seeing how I have other wireless streaming devices (Samsung TV, PS4) in the same location that stream perfectly, I seriously don't understand what's going on with the ATV.

Last edited:

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
Potential IP address conflict, maybe the Apple TV and another device have the same IP address.

This could cause havoc.

Try scanning your LAN for IP addresses and maybe manually set your ATV to an unused IP.

Also, might be worth checking the DNS server on the ATV as well. Try using Google’s DNS, 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary.

Jason

Reactions: Unprocessed1

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Thanks for the help. A little confused on how to set those setting on the Apple TV. It makes you input a lot of numbers XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX to change the DNS.

Potential IP address conflict, maybe the Apple TV and another device have the same IP address.

This could cause havoc.

Try scanning your LAN for IP addresses and maybe manually set your ATV to an unused IP.

Also, might be worth checking the DNS server on the ATV as well. Try using Google’s DNS, 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary.

Jason

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Have you tried running an ethernet cable? I know the OG PS4 had a really terrible WiFi chip. I actually bought an ethernet wireless adapter and just used a simple switch to connect all my devices to it.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Have you tried running an ethernet cable? I know the OG PS4 had a really terrible WiFi chip. I actually bought an ethernet wireless adapter and just used a simple switch to connect all my devices to it.

I can’t run an Ethernet cable and to be honest if that what’s required to stream 4K I’d just return it. :/

Reactions: Maltoo2

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I still don’t understand how using the same wireless connection, my Samsung TV streams 4K nearly instantly and the Apple TV is basically unusable because it can’t even load up videos.

Ran Speed Test on my ATV 4K...comparison a few minutes apart

ATV 4: 2.59 download
Macbook Pro: 34.59 download
Samsung TV (browser): 16.21 download

This is insane. The ATV is 8 feet away from my wireless router (which is in a closet). Seeing how I have other wireless streaming devices (Samsung TV, PS4) in the same location that stream perfectly, I seriously don't understand what's going on with the ATV.

Mac products can be annoying WiFi sensitive. A year or so ago we didn't use Macs at work for Skype as calls would drop at the slightest connection loss. Similarly my Girlfriend's ATV from 2011 was easily disrupted.

Given that your MacBook and Samsung TV enjoy high streaming speeds, fiddling with the IP addresses or channels could fix the problem. However if you are considering streaming a lot of 4K going forward, an powerline adapter could be a good investment if your house is well wired.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
What network hardware are you using? I had to get rid of my ISPs brand router and replace it with a Netgear as I was getting horrible WiFi performance.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
What network hardware are you using? I had to get rid of my ISPs brand router and replace it with a Netgear as I was getting horrible WiFi performance.

I’m using a Verizon Fios router. It doesn’t cause any speed issues on any of my other streaming devices.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I can’t run an Ethernet cable and to be honest if that what’s required to stream 4K I’d just return it. :/

Being honest, i've never had to run an Ethernet cable to anything in my house. Even in my 6mbps days. Plus the ATV has EXCELLENT WiFi capabilities. There is no way that i'd have cables in my house as my router is in the laundry cupboard etc. Even at the opposite side of the house, my MacBook performs flawlessly.
I can't understand why your ATV is behaving like hat, it's certainly not normal for ATV to do that.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Could it be possible that the WiFi is just bad on my ATV? I have gotten it to stream 20+ mbps a few times over the last day but something is clearly wrong.

Patrick Turner

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
1) What HDMI cable are you using? If it is a poorly shielded cable, 4K60 signaling could cause WiFI interference especially if you are using the 2.4GHz WiFi band. The Belkin cable comes highly recommended as it has excellent shielding for 4K60 signaling.

2) Have tried switching to the 5GHz WiFi band?

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Just want to add my experience albeit a bit different.

My broadband is 15Mb/s at best (fibre not available) but I can watch 4k HDR/DV films and shows no problem through the apps on my LG OLED. Yes, there is a short period of lower quality but within 30 seconds on Netflix and a bit longer on Amazon I get lush 4K HDR or Dolby Vision.
Blue Planet II via the tv iPlayer app in HLG takes next to no time to get upto full whack.

Yet the Apple TV 4K will not even try got get 4K. I just get the message that my internet speed is too slow.
How about letting it buffer? I'd quite happily wait a few minutes or so but don't have a choice.

I had the ATV 4K at launch but it went straight back due to this and the now fixed res/HDR non-auto change.

If they let those of us with slower speeds stream 4K I'll get on again.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Update: switched out my ATV 4K.

The same slow wifi connection is happening with the new one, only getting 2-3 mpbs download speed, despite having a 50+ connection. Ridiculous considering all my other devices, including a Samsung TV, PS4, and iPhones connect perfectly to the wifi. I seriously don't get the crippled wifi speed for the ATV. Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.