4k Video Looks Awful in Sample Videos

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 22, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Whats going on with the 4k video recording? I was expecting to be blown away as I was by the sample videos I've seen on Samsung's devices of what a phone sensor can be capable of for video. The inconsistent exposure, amount of noise, and lack of detail in every sample video I've seen even when downconverted to 1080p (downconverting 4k video should equate a sharper 1080p video).

In these first two videos, the level of noise on the leaves and grass respectively is just awful frankly.

Handles motion poorly, colors don't pop at all and there's a lack of sharpness.

Looks awful The Verge's review as well.

Was really expecting a whole lot better than this. These sample videos look really bad.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I wonder if that is lossy compression that occurred between recording and uploading to YouTube (not talking about YouTube's compression here). I hope so, because that looks like some pretty awful blocky compression taking place. YouTube also heavily compresses video resulting in blocky compression. Aside from that, it doesn't look great, but it doesn't look bad. The first video looks much better than the second video.

3. sterl320 macrumors 6502

4. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

I thought the videos looked pretty nice but I'm by no means an expert in video. I would agree with you as far as compression.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm not quite sure if compression is the primary cause since I've been using YouTube to view sample videos on cameras for a long time and the degree of compression doesn't typically cause this many issues. Unless there's some codec disparity going on.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Every Galaxy S6 4K video I've seen has blown me away. Was expecting Apple to do even better. Seriously, this looks at least twice as good as the sample videos we've seen so far.

8. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

I hope this doesn't come across as confrontational or anything but I'm genuinely curious as to how you can actually tell the difference in clarity between the videos.

9. ant the ninja macrumors regular

ant the ninja

Maybe its just my work system here but youtube is only displaying all the sample videos in 720p not 4K. You also compared that Samsung video, which looks to be professionally shot and edited to just a regular consumer shooting 4k...obviously the Samsung one will aesthetically be more pleasing.

10. smarks90 macrumors regular

are you watching on a 4k screen? Does a 4k video look any different than a 1080P video on a 1080P display?

I'm new to this whole 4k thing but it seems like there are a lot of variables that go into this one... just a thought...

11. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The Galaxy S6 colors look significantly less muted than the iPhone 6s, there is much more detail, and sharpness is surprisingly also very much superior.

12. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

Your eyes must be younger than mine because everything looks just as good to me.

13. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

4k downconverted to 1080p, especially from a smartphone camera, should be more detailed and look sharper than native 1080p video even on a 1080p display which I've definitely noticed on all other 4k tests I've seen.

Regardless of the 6s's video recording itself being 4k, the colors, exposure, and sharpness are seriously lacking in the samples.

14. Cryates macrumors 6502a

Come on, man. Read every review posted so far about the device by people who have actually used it. They all say the 4K is a highlight feature and very crisp. Some people...

15. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The iPhone 6s sample videos were taken by professional reviewers, but the S6 video blows me away even in a less cinematic test.

16. noobinator macrumors 601

Sounds like you are a fan of popping vivid colors. I don't see much difference in clarity or detail.

17. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

That may be the case but I'm seriously disappointed by the sample videos thus far. I chalked it up to just being an uploading issue originally but every video has looked similar.

18. iKor macrumors regular

iKor

The S6 also is shooting a more vibrant environment...? Bright whites against a vibrant blue, by the sea. While the 6S is shooting a street... Blacks, Greys...

19. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

Are you going to purchase a 6s or an S6?

20. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Wouldn't give up on the iPhone just because the S6 has a superior screen and probably a superior video camera.

21. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Regardless I can't get over the amount of noise and lack of definition I've seen in 10+ sample videos with the 6s.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

All reviews I have seen love the 4K quality

Each to their own I guess

23. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

Both of those are subjective but regardless, I don't understand why you're complaining when you have the choice of which phone to get.

24. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Considering Samsung has been using HEVC (H.265) for a while and Apple is still using H.264 in the 6S, might have something to do with it. I don't totally geek out on these things, but supposedly HEVC is more efficient at compression.

Which is a bit perplexing because the A9 has proven to be a beast. It could have handled H.265 and would have benefited 1080p as well.

25. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Video quality being potentially better on a competitor isn't enough of a reason to switch phones.