5.0 or 5.0.1 - Are You Taking a chance ???

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
599
0
Chicago, IL
5.0 tethered.


By the way, welcome back from your time-out :D
Thanks, some Richard baited me, but I'm not falling for that anymore ;)
ps. I wish you had the Cubs and not us - lol

So who has stayed on 5.0, and who has updated to 5.0.1?
Isn't anyone on 5.0 worring about the 5.0.1 window, or am I the only one who hasn't updated yet?
 

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
2,812
3
Albany, NY
I am on 5.0.1, thought it might improve battery a little.

Can't wait to get my jailbreak and sbsettings back.

BTW welcome back.
 

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
566
1
5.0.1 here. The wife is the one who updated it, she didnt know better when she was playing around with siri and checking out the camera to decide if she wanted to sell her 4 or keep it. Needless to say, she liked it but kept her 4.
 

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
2,812
3
Albany, NY
No difference that I noticed. I did change a lot of settings to get more out of the battery though, from other suggestions on this forum. Still not as good as my iPhone 4 was on battery.
 

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
682
19
Middle of Pacific
I am on 5.0 all the way till last night, I don't have any problem whatsoever with 5.0, but find out 5.1 beta3 will close the exploit on 5.01 jailbreak and I don't want to take any chance, update to iPhone4,1_5.0.1_9A406_Restore with 1.0.14 baseband.
 

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
2,229
54
Lexington, KY.
I updated to 5.0.1 a week or so ago. I've noticed little, if any, difference in battery life. Of course, I'm like you...I never really had issues with the battery to begin with. I didn't need to worry about an unlock and 5.0.1 is what they were recommending you be on for the jailbreak, so I bit the bullet and upgraded.
 

EvoLovE

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
11
0
Im on 5.0 still im probably going to update because its too risky staying. Unlock isnt even guarenteed.
 

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
599
0
Chicago, IL
Im on 5.0 still im probably going to update because its too risky staying. Unlock isnt even guarenteed.

That is my dilema.
Having an att gsm version will have much more resale value if it's unlocked, (while I could care less for personal use), but desperately want the JB for personal use.
 

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
599
0
Chicago, IL
So I almost upgraded last night, but decided to wait one more day.
Has anyone heard from MN recently about the unlock? (haven't heard nothing myself).
Anyone else still living with 5.0, (are you getting nervous?)
 

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
2,189
2
it was recommended that everyone update to 5.0.1 while Apple is still signing those firmwares.

No sense in staying on 5.0...
 

ihav0frnds

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
302
6
what do you value more: unlock or jailbreak? musclenerd hasn't provided any hint since his tweet a month or so ago about an unlock for 5.0. since then, all signs point to an imminent 5.0.1 jailbreak.

that made it easy for me.

upgrade via cloud.
 

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
4,954
142
World
@MuscleNerd
@CaN0fSoDa 5.0 will be supported for at least the 4S, hopefully iPad2 (it matters more on 4S, due to potential BB-related issues)
4 hours ago
 

uyenho

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
13
0
@MuscleNerd
@CaN0fSoDa 5.0 will be supported for at least the 4S, hopefully iPad2 (it matters more on 4S, due to potential BB-related issues)
4 hours ago
So did MuscleNerd talk about unlock or jailbreak for 5.0? Could some one please explain? thanks
 

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
599
0
Chicago, IL
So did MuscleNerd talk about unlock or jailbreak for 5.0? Could some one please explain? thanks


Not sure how much weight this holds, but is sounds like staying on 5.0 is a good idea -

his post is in relation to the back port that will be made to allow 5.0 not 5.01 devices to be jailbroken, and notes that it is more important for iPhone 4s users as those who want an unlock are supposed to stay on 5.0, if you have an iPad 2 there is no guarantee they will create a jailbreak for 5.0.
 

ylerT

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
203
0
Las Vegas
I've been in that "dilemma" crowd since the A4 jailbreak was released for 5.0.1...

I'm now going to keep my 4s on 5.0 because of that tweet today. If there is a possibility of an unlock, I'll take the risk of being stuck on 5.0 for a while. It was the same with my original iPhone 4 and that phone still has the 1.59.00 baseband on it. :D
 

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
599
0
Chicago, IL
Isn't it true that when Apple comes out with a firmware update they typically keep previous version signed for at least one day? (that would give us a safety net since there is no backport as of now to 5.0)?
 

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
4,824
1,555
I wouldn't risk waiting for that time window. It's unpredictable, and the servers get slammed hard when new releases drop. You don't want to be continually timed out or unable to update and miss the window and be screwed.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.