MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

092037-ipad_display.jpg

DigiTimes today reports on rumors that Apple is looking to launch its second-generation iPad as soon as the fourth quarter of this year, adding OLED-based 5.6-inch and 7-inch models to its existing 9.7-inch LED display model.
The sources noted that Apple has recently placed new iPad orders to Taiwan-based component makers for the fourth quarter of 2010 and the first quarter of 2011 with 9.7-inch, 5.6-inch and 7-inch models all included.

The 9.7-inch model will see some minor changes, while Apple will add Chimei Innolux (CMI) as one of its panel suppliers.

The new 5.6- and 7-inch iPads will mainly target the e-book reader market, separating them from the 9.7-inch model, which mainly targets multimedia entertainment, the sources stated.
The report also suggests that Taiwanese manufacturer Compal will be producing the new iPads, a surprise given earlier expectations that Pegatron would be the manufacturer brought on board to supplement Apple's existing production for iOS devices through Foxconn.

DigiTimes' own research analyst , Mingchi Kuo, casts some doubt on the rumors, however, claiming that Samsung, the world's dominant OLED manufacturer, can't even keep up with demand from its own product lines, and even with new investments in production there appears to be no way the company could ramp up production to the levels needed by Apple within the timeframe indicated.

Kuo also claims that Compal would be unlikely to be interested in producing the new iPad models given the scant profit margins available on the device in relation to its current profitable work assembling netbooks.

While claims of OLED displays for a number of Apple products have been around for many years without coming to fruition, DigiTimes in April specifically floated the idea of an OLED display for the second-generation iPad, but noted that pricing and production volume issues were likely to preclude the possibility. DigiTimes has also reported in April that Apple was looking to launch a smaller iPad in the 5- to 7-inch range as soon as the first quarter of next year.

Article Link: 5.6-Inch and 7-Inch OLED iPad Models Coming in Q4 2010?

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
I pray these minor changes, to the 9.7" model dont mean more ram and faster processor or better display.

i think apple is going to allow printing with the iPad at the iOS 4 update in fall for the 9.7" model. Steve believes that you can do alot of content creation on this device. I agree with his assessment, I have already typed a 14page paper in pages for iWORK

Comment

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm not sure about the timeframe mentioned, but smaller higher resolution iPads certainly seem plausible at some point. Personally, I'd like to see a 15 inch version as well. :)

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I personally think this should be page 2. Seems like it would depart from Apples current focus. I.e. Retina display. I mean how many resolutions could remain compatible with existing apps.

Comment

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
If the resolution is the same, I can see it happening since apps will not need to be altered. Otherwise I don't see this happening.

Comment

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
"targets the ebook reader market"

The iPad already does that. A 5.6 inch OLED model is a waste of time and resource.

At that point, it really does become an oversized iPod Touch. The whole point of the iPad was the multitouch capabilities with the large screen.

Comment

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
5.6" that fits in a pocket is something that I might buy if it has something that my iPhone does not

Comment

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
to targe e-book reader, are those iPads capable of letting people read the screen for hours without suffering eye-bleeding?

or is apple still stand by its statement that people just don't read for a long period of time?

Comment

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
"targets the ebook reader market"

The iPad already does that. A 5.6 inch OLED model is a waste of time and resource.

At that point, it really does become an oversized iPod Touch. The whole point of the iPad was the multitouch capabilities with the large screen.

This rumor could be referring to a redesigned iPod Touch to better set it apart from the iPhone and iPad talk.

Comment

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Last I checked, there are only 2 devices in the wild that have OLED screens larger than 5 inches and one of them got cancelled. Plus, no OLED manufacturer can produce millions of screens a month. Heck, there are even shortages of the much simpler cellphone-sized screens!

No, this analyst is speaking from his rear. There will be no updated iPad this year. To try and do that is to throw sand in people's faces.

Comment

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Well, whatever the size and differences between the models, they'll all have cameras and FaceTime, right?

Comment

neurobound

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
Wouldn't it be cool if there were a smaller ipad out there, one you could fit in your pocket... Maybe even make phone calls on!?

Oled display!? You mean like the ones that dont work very well in bright sunlight that were dumped in favor of lcd in the latest iphone?!

... Lame rumor.

Comment

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
I really don't see there being 3 different display sizes, that would be over kill... I do see a new iPad in the near future, with minor hardware updates, maybe the newer screen, and camera... but, who knows its all just speculation right now. Time will tell

Comment

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Makes no sense, Apple won't fragment the iPad market that quickly, especially since the current model is selling so well. Also, no need for such small devices, since you basically are down in the ipod touch/iphone arena then, especially on a 5.6 inch screen.

Targeting ebook readers doesn't seem in Apple's plans, as they are going for a more high end and multiple use platform. I think they are willing to leave that low cost/small screen ebook market to the nook/sony/kindle.

Comment

murkurb

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Yeah, I'm not feeling this either. 3 different sizes, wifi, 3G+wifi....what's next?

I think the standard iPad size is fine for everything.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.