5.8-Inch iPhone Affirmed to Have Mostly Flat Display With Slightly Curved Edges

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. CrownVic macrumors regular

CrownVic

No screen... you need an external monitor for it :D:p

2. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

I get it, but definitely a "first world problem."

3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I actually start thinking about getting this phone and that just because of the many rumors.

4. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Next month... color swatches for the case coloring!
    Rose red
    Light pink
    ruby pink
    grapefruit orange
    space grayish
    galaxy black

5. riffcat macrumors member

riffcat

If it was slightly concave, think all the fewer scratches it would get? ;)

6. DamoTheBrave macrumors member

I suspect it's because the slight curvature is tightly related to how they will make it go edge to edge.

7. twinlight macrumors regular

twinlight

When it becomes available we will have the age old question, does yours bend to the left or right? :p

8. Appleaker macrumors 65816

Yeah, but realistically Apple were never going to do extreme curves like the S7 Edge. They wouldn't do that until they extend the display round the body of the device. Flat wouldn't allow for the whole front panel to be glass, so the 2.5D curve to the display would be the best.

9. one more macrumors regular

one more

"The benefit of the edge-to-edge design is that it will essentially allow for an iPhone 7Plus sized display to fit on a device that is iPhone 7 sized, which is beneficial for all sorts of reasons, such as one-handed usage and pocketability."

There is not much one-handed usage and pocketability for iPhone 7 sized phones, hence the reachability feature. However, if they do manage to fit a 4.7" screen into the size of iPhone SE, then we are talking!

10. hellopupy macrumors regular

hellopupy

Corporate espionage

11. mbh1976 macrumors regular

12. joy.757 macrumors regular

I actually like the simple look of the iPhone, so i'm curious as to what this will look like.

13. dav1dd macrumors regular

dav1dd

The problem is not so much this site; it's Apple. They don't do really anything any more. Hence no rumours. As for the forum, well people have probably figured out there is more to life.

14. infinitejest macrumors regular

infinitejest

Isn't it mostly flat with slightly curved edges already?

15. ILikeAllOS macrumors regular

ILikeAllOS

All the analysts are confused.
    I guarantee you it's not the display that's curved, that will remain flat.
    Instead it's the corners that are curved, in other words it will have rounded corners...

16. k1121j macrumors 6502a

k1121j

So nothing different then the current phone. Not surprised. :-(

17. alpha076 macrumors newbie

I looked at review of LG G6 on you tube. There were black bars on sides while watching videos..I think that is because of 2:1 aspect ratio of display (18:9) used to project 16:9 content, so 1 on each side is black..I hope Apple figures out something better..

18. nick42983 macrumors 6502

nick42983

The new design will lead to more cracked screens as dropped phones will have less exposed frame to absorb impact. More $ to be made through AppleCare.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seeing as the frame has always been a rigid mount, I'm not sure how you can claim one of it's purposes has ever been to "absorb impact". You're thinking of a case.

20. JackANSI macrumors 6502a

JackANSI

I think that is because Apple has become more superficial in their "innovations".

Heck, they can't even keep a "Pro" desktop updated. When they try to update something it always feels like they've left so much on the table just to have that superficial feature that looks like "innovation". (usually "thinner" is the winner)

21. Wanted797 macrumors regular

Yeah now if it comes out with a curved display MacRumors can say 'As predicted [insert link to tuesday post]*' Apple has announce and iPhone with a Curved display.

*Change inserted news link based on announcement = Regardless we were right.

22. Kameha macrumors member

Kameha

I bet my house, wife, kids, car that the next iPhone will be a touch screen, and color for sure it is not a black/white

23. cg006 macrumors regular

cg006

I am dreading a curved display. Tempered screen protectors will not work due to the edges. And i dont trust apples screen tech unless they go 100% sapphire (which is probably out of the question).

24. dtlaandrew macrumors newbie

dtlaandrew

--- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 at 1:28 PM ---
    I'm really excited if the next generation will be a new look because Its kinda boring now but I'm really happy that I have 7 Plus Matte Black. its been a while but can't wait to see what else is new coming out this year. Still a big fan of Apple tho.

25. lederermc macrumors regular

lederermc

I don't give a rat's ass about what it looks like. I want more water-proofness, smarter siri and that damn audio jack back.