5.8-Inch iPhone Affirmed to Have Mostly Flat Display With Slightly Curved Edges

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. EdT macrumors 6502a

EdT

Well hopefully, for a couple of years at least, this will replace the 'make it thinner' emphasis that Apple, and some fans, have been stuck on.

But I'm sure that within a few days a different rumor will circulate talking about the new curved screen that Apple has planned, followed shortly by another "All screens WILL be flat' counter rumor.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Fortunately it's only a tiny bit of curve on the edges. A fully curved screen would be awful. I don't know anything about reflections, but if you drop it and it falls flat on its face it just _must_ crack with a fully curved screen.

3. elcrian macrumors newbie

elcrian

2.5D.

2.5D.

It also comes with Cloud, Internet of Things, Industry 4.0, SmartHome, Big Data andAdvanced Machine Learning Lazer Algorithms.

A marketing person probably had an orgasm reading this. Meanwhile, an engineer gets a heart attack.

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I dunno Galaxy S7 Edge seems to have done a decent job. My point is that on the face of it I'm ambivalent on curved vs non and I feel confident that Apple will make a good decision on that, but what I really want is maximizing screen size in the same space. Perhaps one of those ways will make maximizing easier, but I haven't done the extensive prototyping that I'm sure Apple has done.

5. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

This has got to be one of the strangest compositions for a future iOS interface... Screen is resized full width and height but then there's all this dead space at the top? How does one move icons around? Does this mean that the same experience is mirrored on the iPad? Why is THIS the one that's highlighted for the 2.5D display?

6. alpha076 macrumors member

If they completely eliminate side bezels and keep top & bottom bezels to bare minimum, display shape will be narrow long rectangle (2:1 aspect ratio). I am not sure how that looks when you watch videos in 16:9 format..

7. Matt Wacky, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

Matt Wacky macrumors newbie

I upgraded from a 5S to a 7 Plus - so the design is relatively new to me. I was somewhat hesitant to upgrade because I wanted OLED, but the camera upgrade was enough for me to justify the expense.

An Edge to Edge, full face OLED screen with embedded Touch ID is a complete redesign of the part of the of the phone the you look at 99.99% of the time - that is fairly significant, no? And what about the changes to the Interface that this new screen technology may bring? The "S" upgrade cycle has always ushered in the biggest Software innovations.

8. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Screen will be delivered in a separate cylindrical package. Bend it as you want and keep the phone in your backpack (since its 9,47" in 27:3 format)

9. c3pa macrumors member

10. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Naw.

That is the thing about rumors, you never know what will pan out.

Once the parts start leaking, we always end up with a good idea of the new design.

11. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

THIS. This is all I care about. Looks like I will be waiting for the "8s" though in order to get a '7-sized' display in an SE-sized device.

12. zen macrumors 68000

zen

"Affirmed to have"?

My goodness, the quality of the writing on this site...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    Yes, absolutely.

13. mbh macrumors 6502

When did "curved" become the next big thing, and why? Every day it's maybe curved, maybe not curved, maybe slightly curved, maybe this model curved, that model not curved. How does "curved" improve my life? I have never looked wistfully at my phone and thought, "if only it were curved..."

14. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Friday: Slightly un-flat

15. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

16. LDN macrumors member

So, basically like the Apple Watch. Could have just said that. The Apple watch has a curved display assembly but the actual panel of the display is flat.

17. macs4nw, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Won't happen with the 'walled garden'. They're worried about additional vulnerabilities creeping in, as they already have their hands full with exploits cropping up within 'the garden'...... I agree iOS could use refinements.

18. Appleaker macrumors 68000

They were never going to have that 3D curved display. Sure, they may have prototypes with it but it is hard to manufacture, takes away from the main user experience, and arguably less attractive. I think a 2.5D curve looks better as it's subtle while also being futuristic.

19. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I wished they would go back to the flat sides like the SE where you can stand the phone up on its side.

20. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

So in other words it's an utterly pointless idea that will only serve: to not be seen as completely copying Samsung, to be seen as doing enough to double the iPhones price whilst having as small an expense on parts and manufacturing as possible to fully maximise profits, and to do enough to sell the phone as magical and revolutionary to its fans under the reality distortion field.

Oh and it will be physically even MORE impossible for it to be the same size as the iPhone 7!

These rumours really aren't doing anything for the lack of iPhone 8 hype...

21. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed. The rumors these last few weeks have been redundant or reworded to report the same thing. Until parts leak with blurred photo's, then it will have some unconfirmed idea of what to expect for iPhone models.

22. RH00D macrumors newbie

Considering Apple is the company that has put glossy screens on its Mac desktops and laptops for years while everyone else was using matte I don't think Apple gives a hoot about reflections.

23. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Sir, can we ask your ass some follow up questions please? We need more content to plaster all over the place

24. Twixi macrumors newbie

I Only care about the software updates

25. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

Good enough for me. But maybe go by the name Ho Mi Ass of Poopi Tech for more credibility. I believe you.