5.8-Inch iPhone Expected to Have Flat Display Despite 'Curved' Rumors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 10, 2017.

1. oliversl macrumors 65816

The iPhone 6, 6s and 7 are already too round. Make it flat with protected edges, or else you can't live without a case, and all the design is lost.

2. danakin macrumors regular

danakin

I have an IPhone SE and, while I'm looking forward to going back to Android (not a fan of iOS), this is a very good (almost) flagship device. Aside from the lower resolution front camera and 3D touch, it's essentially a 6S in a smaller, more attractive in my opinion, package.

Perhaps an iPhone SE2?

3. MyopicPaideia, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017

MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

1. It already has the A9 SoC
    2. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a 4" screen anyway.
    3. It already has the same rear camera as the 6s
    4. Agreed :)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    iPhones already look like something out of a sci-fi movie! All they need now is to make that tricorder scanning sound... :D

4. nofear1az macrumors regular

nofear1az

I'm being totally honest here, I tried the curved display on the S7 Edge because I thought it was so great and was the next big thing since sliced bread. I ended up hating it. It was too curvy for me and distractive when looking at the screen. Protecting it was a nightmare and I just hated the look of it with any case on it unable to properly protect the sides of that screen.

Now, the Note 7's curved edge was much better over the S7 Edge but in the end, I handily prefer a flat screen over any curved one. The iPhone in it's current state with the way the screen is flat but with a slight over the edge look I think is the greatest look in a phone I have ever seen. If they carry that over with the OLED screens it would be very nice and premium looking.

5. tonylxxviii macrumors newbie

I could care less about curved vs flat. But what I do want to know is where can I get that neon sign background?

6. Twixi macrumors newbie

And yet ur a sad sad member of this site?

7. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

Always had an iPhone since the very first one, just tried the Samsung and see what's all the hype about it.

8. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

iPhone SE is regurgitation, truth hurts.
    Give me compact 4" in all brand new device. Shut down SE immediately :D
    Hello, small factor and bells and whistles is what customers want. This isn't difficult to achieve. I refuse to upgrade as do others until Apple makes brand new 4" devices. Steve Jobs would have discarded iPhone 5/5s/Se in 2013. Somehow it continues under a completely unimaginative Apple Inc.
    Different phones, with different and lesser features (iPhone SE).

9. I7guy macrumors G4

Okay, this SE may be unimaginative but there is a thought to give the customer what they want.

10. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Customers don't want this. Customers want a brand new 4" iPhone. Other customers want 4.7, and others want 5.5. Make all three sizes together and all brand new. Apple is honing stupidity instead if simplicity. With iphone SE, there is no thought other than attempting to make sales out of old junk. SE is a junk device with junky old components.

11. djjaes macrumors member

djjaes

indeed, I agree

12. I7guy macrumors G4

I'm not sure how you could possibly know what the hundreds of millions of Apple customers could want.

13. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Neither do you or Apple. Only those customers know.

14. michael9891 macrumors member

I love the irony of your post. Looking at your posts, you obviously don't like Apple products and are quite clearly a troll. Yet you're the one calling people sad & pathetic. Funny.

15. I7guy macrumors G4

Right so no conclusions can be drawn as to how this model is viewed by customers, only your own opinion can be stated.

16. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Just as you do the same.
    iPhone SE rubbish rehash of a device that stores are returning.

17. I7guy macrumors G4

Except for the sales numbers, some conclusions can be drawn from them.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I never use screen protectors, so I don't care either way. I'll enjoy both Samsung curved displays and whatever type of display Apple uses.

19. Radon87000, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

Radon87000 macrumors 68040

It really is left over components of the 5S cobbled together with the A9 processor and sold. They didn't even bother improving the display(not even 720P) or the storage. Trash may be a harsh word but it is what it is and the fact of the matter is even trash from Apple would still sell considering the book they sell for 300

20. bmot macrumors newbie

Bigger screen

21. I7guy macrumors G4

Customers are happy and Apple is making money. Seems like a win-win for both. Some people are smarter and won't buy that "trash " they'll go right to the $1000 flagships.

22. Radon87000 macrumors 68040

Its better to pay $1000 for a flagship then pay $500 for rehashed components just like how the 7S is a cash grab for being almost 80% of the cost the iPhone edition but uses rehashed components. For the money you pay its not at all worth it considering it costs 75% of what the latest flagship does and uses a display from 5 years ago. Nothing but a cash grab

23. I7guy macrumors G4

They are making the cash :). As to whether or not the SE is worth it, I hope you agree you can only speak for yourself and not for the customers who already bought one.

24. Johns12 macrumors regular

I switched to an S7 Edge last December. I have had 6 previous IPhones. Have no problems with reflections on the edge, very few if any false triggers from the side, and I am not bothered by text or graphics curving on the edge. I must be special, but I keep seeing all these posts about how bad the Edge is and I don't have any of those problems. The phone is very good. I loved my Iphone's also. My only problem with The S7 is inconsistent battery usage. You really have to keep up with making sure your settings are correct and that battery draining apps are turned off.

25. thebeans macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    I certainly hope this is true. Curved screens are ugly as F*** and serve no purpose. I don't trust Apple any more to not follow the crowd, even if the crowd jumps off a cliff, but maybe they have avoided the curved screen goofiness.