5 days in.. and my SG BSB has multiple scratches.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thatfrenchman, May 17, 2015.

1. thatfrenchman, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015

thatfrenchman macrumors newbie

thatfrenchman

To say I'm bummed would be an understatement. I'm currently trying to get some chat support to see if such extensive scratching just 5 days in is normal or not. Only thing I can think that happened was bumping into a the parking garage wall last night on accident. I know it's no sapphire, but surely ion-x glass should be more scratch resistant than this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

OP needs to change thread title to SG instead of SB

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Hitting the garage wall with less than sapphire crystal will for sure scratch.

Sorry for the loss.

4. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

With that kind of damage I'm assuming the wall was concrete or stone. That will most definitely scratch the glas on the sport model. Sapphire would probably survive that. Ion glass is good against metal. Think buttons on a shirt or keys in pocket. iPhone and sport model will survive this. But not this. I feel your pain. I hate scratches.

5. Gooberton macrumors 65816

It's space grey not space black, no wonder it's scratched

6. joshneedham macrumors member

Bumping into a stone/cement/concrete wall is going to damage most things, even if you had the steel watch with sapphire crystal, the steel would have definitely scratched and possibly the sapphire, as some concrete blends have ingredients that are higher than a 9 on the mohs scale. Gotta be careful about where you swing and bump your wrists when wearing any watch. With the sport watch, it's durablity is about the same as an iPhone.

7. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I guess his only potential option now is Apple Care +, but do scratches even come under accidental damage?

8. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Concrete has sapphire or diamonds in it ?

9. joshneedham macrumors member

You could always throw it hard enough to shatter it then get it replaced under Applecare+

----------

Silicon Carbide, also called Carborundum. Sapphire is Corundum. The former can scratch the latter.

10. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

Honestly, I'm bummed for you. Ouch. By the way, that first pic is razor sharp, and shows that the scratches are visible even with the display on.

The garage wall is certainly the suspect. Here's hoping it happened after a lovely Friday night out on the town in Austin with a charming companion. Those scratches can be a memory of a great evening. Maybe you'll get lucky and your watch will fall victim to a malfunction that will allow it to be replaced under warranty. In the meantime, I am sorry that happened.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

12. thatfrenchman thread starter macrumors newbie

thatfrenchman

Oops, fixed. Thx.

13. powerslave65 macrumors 6502

powerslave65

You forgot to turn on forcefield. It's in the Apple Watch settings on your phone. To erase the scratch you need the Apple Edition Watch which has the digital crown time machine.

14. Azzin macrumors 68040

Azzin

I scraped the bumper of my car on the garage wall earlier today.

I'm on to Mercedes Benz now to see if they will cover the cost for me... :rolleyes:

15. Wishbrah macrumors regular

16. Subdiv macrumors 6502

This guy must have scratched his phone...
    [​IMG]

17. thatfrenchman thread starter macrumors newbie

thatfrenchman

I do have Apple Care and considered it, but I've also been unlucky enough to have my iPhone 6 display shatter on me twice in the past two months and don't really feel like shelling out even more to get it replaced at the moment (this despite my iPhone being in a case the second time, and after literally 5 years of naked iPhone ownerships with many drops and never a shatter, I guess I'm getting my comeuppance.)

Just wish I could be rich like you SS / sapphire guys! :/

18. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

You could always sell in on Craigslist. There are a lot of people who wouldn't mind paying to get it replaced under AppleCare once you sell it. Sold my scratched SG BSB 42mm for $600 without AppleCare. Just an idea.

19. thatfrenchman thread starter macrumors newbie

thatfrenchman

Thanks for your helpful comment and support! I'm no idiot.. just coming to terms with my own dumb mistake. It hurts seeing a 5 day old, $400 watch not be able to withstand the same abuse that my $60 Seiko did for years and years.

----------

I hadn't thought of that. Can you transfer Apple Care ownership? How does that work?

20. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

21. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

To be fair (and not mean), he paid for "an aluminosilicate glass that’s especially resistant to scratches and impact. It’s fortified at the molecular level through ion exchange, with smaller ions being replaced by larger ones to create a surface layer far tougher than ordinary glass."

22. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Really. They paid that premium for a scratched Apple Watch?

23. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

They did. Sounds like he is going to get it replaced. He really wanted it badly. Supply and demand.

----------

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

24. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

25. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

He'd better not. Than the rest of us pay for his stupid mistake.

I dare the OP to post a youtube video of him crashing his Seiko into a concrete wall the same way he did his new watch and showing us the lack of scratches.

Integrity is when you do the right thing even when it hurts. If the OP has integrity, he'll either keep the watch or sell it. But returning it to Apple would be dishonest.