Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Personally want a Product Red 🔴 iPhone Pro Max. The ‘Deep Purple’ iPhone pro 14 is damn near black. Let’s inject some life and pop into these phones, already!

This isn’t because Apple wanted to make the planet better and give less frustrations to their consumers. It’s because EU wanted to implement some dang common sense. Honestly USB-C should have been universal long ago when it caught on. Now RCS messaging is on deck 👀
Agree the only color I somewhat liked was SB. Still mostly looked gray but at least light gray. PB MG DP all look black or dark gray most of the time.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I would have thought the reason for the plastic was obvious. They haven't moved to eSIM in the rest of the world and having the eSIM-only version having a bigger battery or some other significant difference to iPhones sold in the rest of the world would have caused segmentation problems as they would have to have a dedicated USA iPhone design and then a rest of the world iPhone design. Once they drop the SIM tray in all models of iPhone sold globally, we'll see them use that space for something useful.

I get it but the fact that they didn’t remove it in the rest of the world shows that it’s not something that should be done yet. This is why I have a problem with it, they forced a change on us to force a change in the industry. It causes problems for me personally and I know I’m not alone.

Maybe next year I won’t actually have to deal with a sim card but until then US iPhones are useless to me now.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I'm waiting for Tim to drop the i from iPhone on the cheaper models just to save on the ink.
LMAO! You know I was talking to a friend about I think we're ready to ditch the word phone already. I mean the phone is an app now, what we have is a portable/mobile computer in our pockets so... maybe call it by what it is, right? The brand-new Apple's Newton! (bad joke, I know... but I will think for a better name, I promise)

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
I expect incredible new features that make this the best iPhone Apple had ever made. I expect the iPhone 15 to allow customers to do even more with their iPhone and pro users to have the tools they need to do even more incredible work on their iPhone.

Every year is always "the best iphone apple has ever made".

Reactions: TechNutt

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Wish they spent some of their cash on the Eye-strain issues they've had since iPhone X.

14 is really really bad as far as the PWM (pulse width modulation) goes.
Can't look at it for more than 10-15 seconds at a time.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Update: “This year, Apple is taking iPhone to the next level. The A17 Trionic in the iPhone 15 is the most powerful iPhone A-series processor that Apple has ever released in an iPhone. Compared to the A16 Bionic, the A17 Trionic is 33% more Onic, allowing for incredible new performance and battery life. And we didn’t stop there. We’ve upgraded the GPU to the best-in-class iPhone graphics, setting a new standard for graphics processing that we’ve ever put in a phone. This allows for the most realistic games and eve smoothest animations we’ve ever released in an iPhone. The iPhone 15 represents the greatest, most powerful iPhone that Apple has ever released and will set new standards for what phones can do.”

• Haha
Reactions: TechNutt

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
Ok…let’s hear it, what’s so special about all these supposedly new features listed? You would all be amazed by new iPhones when you first get it, and after 5 minutes, start wondering exactly what’s new in it that’s not already in your 3 year old phones.
Stupid question, but I'll bite. Battery life is twice as long as the 11 in the 14 pro max I upgraded to. The camera is vastly improved over the 11. The screen is beautiful with promotion which my 11 did not have. Even the speaker is notably better when using it instead of headphones. I really don't understand why people want to rain on the parade of customers are happy with their upgraded phones (or other products).

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Portless solves several problems….for Apple. And introduces new ones for users.

Just like removing the SIM tray, especially from the Pro models.

They shouldn’t do it, but they might do it anyway.

The SIM tray is only a temporary problem, for networks that don't have good eSIM support. But ultimately, pushing the industry towards eSIMs is good for users.

In particular, it makes international roaming much easier, because you can easily obtain a cheap local SIM when you land in a new country, rather than have to seek out a physical SIM card or pay expensive roaming fees. This is very relevant for those of us in the UK right now who are gradually losing our EU roaming rights due to Brexit :mad:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Also that most people would prefer not to *have* to carry a puck with them everywhere

Exactly! That would be even worse than having to carry a Lightning cable just for your iPhone 🤦‍♂️

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The SIM tray is only a temporary problem, for networks that don't have good eSIM support. But ultimately, pushing the industry towards eSIMs is good for users.

In particular, it makes international roaming much easier, because you can easily obtain a cheap local SIM when you land in a new country, rather than have to seek out a physical SIM card or pay expensive roaming fees. This is very relevant for those of us in the UK right now who are gradually losing our EU roaming rights due to Brexit :mad:

The thing is those options already existed. I’m not thrilled about having something I personally use taken away for the good of the industry.

And in the UK they didn’t even take it away from you. You still have every option you did with the 13, but I don’t. And you make the case that eSIM is more convenient for Europe than US. So why didn’t they do it worldwide? Why did you get the SIM slot I wanted and I got a cheap block of plastic?

As an aside, I didn’t realize Brexit was so severe and far-reaching. Seems like it was a bit of an overreaction eh?

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Stupid question, but I'll bite. Battery life is twice as long as the 11 in the 14 pro max I upgraded to. The camera is vastly improved over the 11. The screen is beautiful with promotion which my 11 did not have. Even the speaker is notably better when using it instead of headphones. I really don't understand why people want to rain on the parade of customers are happy with their upgraded phones (or other products).
Stupid comparison but I’ll respond. You are comparing jump between 2 different models from regular 11 to pro max. Of course there are going to be different features. Are you expecting to have same features if going from Toyota Camry to Mercedes E class? 14 Pro Max does not have twice battery as 13, 12 or 11. Your 11 battery is degraded after 3 years. How can that be considered a new feature? Similarly camera, speaker, speed, and displays are better but they are incremental improvements and not ground breaking innovations. Those already existed in other phones for a few years already. Apple combined them in a nicely integrated package with software for sure, but I wouldn’t call those true innovations.

The purpose of my post was not to rain on anyone’s parade. It’s great you love the upgrades going to 14 PM, I’m just pointing out that iPhone hasn’t been received true innovations in awhile. Software side yes Apple does come up with good innovations every year, but most of those get passed down to older devices as well. Hardware wise it’s has been stagnant for a few years.

Reactions: compwiz1202

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017
I would have thought the reason for the plastic was obvious. They haven't moved to eSIM in the rest of the world and having the eSIM-only version having a bigger battery or some other significant difference to iPhones sold in the rest of the world would have caused segmentation problems as they would have to have a dedicated USA iPhone design and then a rest of the world iPhone design. Once they drop the SIM tray in all models of iPhone sold globally, we'll see them use that space for something useful.

Yeah, Apple is just a hot new startup in Silicon Valley. They can't make multiple hardware revisions.

//

Apple sure knows how to remove things in other countries, but can't be bothered to add anything. Remember the mm wave antennas?

iphone-12-mmwave-5g-usa-vs-canada.png

• Love
Reactions: CarAnalogy

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Yeah, Apple is just a hot new startup in Silicon Valley. They can't make multiple hardware revisions.

//

Apple sure knows how to remove things in other countries, but can't be bothered to add anything. Remember the mm wave antennas?

iphone-12-mmwave-5g-usa-vs-canada.png
That is somewhat different though. If Canada's 5G network doesn't use mmwave then it would just be a waste of money including support for it. On the other hand, every country can and does (at least in a limited way) support eSIMs.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
The thing is those options already existed. I’m not thrilled about having something I personally use taken away for the good of the industry.

And in the UK they didn’t even take it away from you. You still have every option you did with the 13, but I don’t. And you make the case that eSIM is more convenient for Europe than US. So why didn’t they do it worldwide? Why did you get the SIM slot I wanted and I got a cheap block of plastic?

The reason is, presumably, that many carriers in Europe and elsewhere are lagging behind the US in eSIM adoption. But it's only a matter of time before Apple removes the SIM card slot for everyone. Removing the SIM card slot sends a message to carriers: "no eSIM, no iPhones". A strong incentive to catch up!

At a personal level, yes, I agree it could be annoying for if you need a SIM slot for some reason but don't have it. But ultimately, it's for the greater good if it means physical SIMs die out quicker.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The reason is, presumably, that many carriers in Europe and elsewhere are lagging behind the US in eSIM adoption. But it's only a matter of time before Apple removes the SIM card slot for everyone. Removing the SIM card slot sends a message to carriers: "no eSIM, no iPhones". A strong incentive to catch up!

At a personal level, yes, I agree it could be annoying for if you need a SIM slot for some reason but don't have it. But ultimately, it's for the greater good if it means physical SIMs die out quicker.

I don’t see it as a big enough advantage to be worth this. We’ll see if the strategy pays off, so far it’s cost them at least one sale. I’m not going through the hassle of converting a work provided SIM to eSIM and then having to keep up with that. What Apple calls disadvantages of SIMs, I call advantages.

After all, I can just pop that SIM into an Android phone and be done with it. Wait a minute… You don’t think… Apple wouldn’t do something strategically just to disadvantage Android…would they?

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
I don’t see it as a big enough advantage to be worth this. We’ll see if the strategy pays off, so far it’s cost them at least one sale. I’m not going through the hassle of converting a work provided SIM to eSIM and then having to keep up with that. What Apple calls disadvantages of SIMs, I call advantages.

After all, I can just pop that SIM into an Android phone and be done with it. Wait a minute… You don’t think… Apple wouldn’t do something strategically just to disadvantage Android…would they?
From a quick Google search, it seems easy to switch from an iPhone to an Android phone.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
Stupid comparison but I’ll respond. You are comparing jump between 2 different models from regular 11 to pro max. Of course there are going to be different features. Are you expecting to have same features if going from Toyota Camry to Mercedes E class? 14 Pro Max does not have twice battery as 13, 12 or 11. Your 11 battery is degraded after 3 years. How can that be considered a new feature? Similarly camera, speaker, speed, and displays are better but they are incremental improvements and not ground breaking innovations. Those already existed in other phones for a few years already. Apple combined them in a nicely integrated package with software for sure, but I wouldn’t call those true innovations.

The purpose of my post was not to rain on anyone’s parade. It’s great you love the upgrades going to 14 PM, I’m just pointing out that iPhone hasn’t been received true innovations in awhile. Software side yes Apple does come up with good innovations every year, but most of those get passed down to older devices as well. Hardware wise it’s has been stagnant for a few years.
And I disagree. So there's that...You seem to be one of those "have to get the last in" people, so I'll back down with this: I am happy with my phone. If you have a problem that, that's on you.

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
From a quick Google search, it seems easy to switch from an iPhone to an Android phone.

And it's even easier if you can just pop your sim from one to the other. How do I transfer an eSIM from an iPhone to an Android phone? The fact that I even have to look that up tells me that it's not as easy as just swapping your SIM. That's my point. I kind of feel like you should have got that and deliberately dodged the point.

I'm not saying I personally am going to switch over this. I'm saying this was a strategic move to make it more difficult for the average person to switch.

Last edited:

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
And it's even easier if you can just pop your sim from one to the other. How do I transfer an eSIM from an iPhone to an Android phone? The fact that I even have to look that up tells me that it's not as easy as just swapping your SIM. That's my point. I kind of feel like you should have got that and deliberately dodged the point.
I guess I don't value my time as much as you do. I change my SIM card maybe once a year, and the instructions to switch from iPhone to Android would probably take 5 to 10 minutes. So if you think 10 minutes a year is too much time, then fair play. Also, with eSIMs, you can have two SIM cards working on the same iPhone simultaneously, so you can have personal and business numbers without worrying about switching SIMs.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I guess I don't value my time as much as you do. I change my SIM card maybe once a year, and the instructions to switch from iPhone to Android would probably take 5 to 10 minutes. So if you think 10 minutes a year is too much time, then fair play. Also, with eSIMs, you can have two SIM cards working on the same iPhone simultaneously, so you can have personal and business numbers without worrying about switching SIMs.

But my point is in this case the business SIM card is not mine. Converting it to an eSIM is impractical and unnecessary. The iPhone 13 supported the same number of eSIMs as the 14 does. It also let me take a SIM someone else gave me and just use it, no problem.

So again it solves nothing for me, creates more problems for me, and is not an improvement over the 13. I’m glad eSIMs work for you but I just don’t see any way that taking away a working option can be a good thing.

By the way my personal line was on eSIM already and has been for some time. It’s the work provided sim that I can’t use in a phone called iPhone 14 Pro. That’s my biggest issue. And I don’t think I’m the only one with a work provided sim card.

Reactions: GraXXoR

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
You really didn’t see a difference between the 11 Pro and the 14 Pro? I’m not being sarcastic here. I updated from the standard 11 to the 14 Pro Max and I was blown away. 3 months in and I’m still blown away.

Honestly, from the 11 pro max to the 14 pro max, in the four weeks of using both phones side by side here are the differences I did and did not notice compared with my 11 pm.

1. As a pro photographer, I found the iPhone 14 super close up macro photography to be astounding. I have 5000 dollar lenses that would be unable to take some of the test shots I took with the 14pm.

2. 48 MP raw photos were less impressive than I imagined and show the limitations of the camera system more than the doctored 12mp shots do. 11 pm shots are more neutral and less “tacky” than 14pm.

3. Felt strangely heavy when holding in a reclining position for some time.

4. Corners make device feel thick and slablike in the hand and pocket. Quite uncomfortable compared to the curves of the 11 Pro.

5. Due to 4, Too big to comfortably use in one hand since cases exacerbate this thickness issue.

6. Screen was bigger and colors felt more vibrant. But sadly I didn’t notice the 120Hz at all, so it wasn’t anything to write home about, which was odd because I have loved using my 240Hz Samsung PC monitor for the last two years.

7. Zero difference in CPU performance noted since I don’t play demanding games.

8. Face ID with mask was the biggest feature I loved. But knowing it’s purely a software limitation left a bad taste in my mouth.

9. F’kkn stupid cutout hole intruding into my Netflix videos was the feature I hated most. You have no idea how much I detested the dynamic island nonsense.

10. Did not feel at all worth a 70% price hike after three years of technological “progress” for the same tier phone at the same storage pint (256gb).

Bear in mind that in the same three years in my home rig, I went from a 512gb to a 2TB NVMe costing the same price. But no, Apple have to take the piss with their pricing.

Last edited:

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I moved directly from my beloved 8 to a 12 Pro and found it the right time move and a world of difference in performance, screen and overall experience. I can’t see anything yet to convince me to upgrade to a 14 or 15.
You and basically all of Japan from what I can see. Of about 200 of my customers whom I polled 58% are on Apple down from 66%. But not a single one bought a series 14 phone of any kind. The 13 mini was the most popular purchase this year. Reason being they were worried they would be discontinued.

Currently top five popular device in my admittedly mini survey:

1) 12
2) SE2
3) 12 pro
4) 13 mini
5) SE3

Which is weird because 18 months ago my survey came up with:

1) 12
2) SE2
3) 12 pro
4) 11
5) 12 mini

Spot the problem Apple has?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.