Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I emailed Steve jobs today to request compensation for the time I've wasted restoring my iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 40 times since July 11th due to Apple's buggy software. To my surprise, he emailed me back not once but twice - the first email, just two minutes after I sent my message - but both times from his iPhone. So I checked out the long headers in Mail.app and was surprised to see this:

X-Mailer: iPhone Mail (5B108)

I would've thought that SJ would be using the latest and greatest firmware! But he's down here with the rest of us on 2.0.1! I dunno, I just thought it was interesting.

ps. he didn't comment on my request for compensation, no suprise there. ;) But he did volunteer that "there should be another update out this month that may clear up many of your problems." So, I guess that's good news.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
ps. he didn't comment on my request for compensation, no suprise there. ;) But he did volunteer that "there should be another update out this month that may clear up many of your problems." So, I guess that's good news.

This is indeed a good thing.

kleo

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
Which email address did you use?

Pretty freaking cool if you ask me!

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
Did you happen to mention to SJ that you had jailbroken your phone? :rolleyes: Seems kind of ballsy to jailbreak and then demand compensation for your problems.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

customerservice said:
40 restores? im going to go out on a limb here and say its at least partially your fault

It's a shame the iPhone doesn't have copy/paste, otherwise I'd paste a link for you, but let's just say your assumption is wrong. ;)

Try searching the Apple Support Forums for 'apple logo' to see hundreds of people having EXACTLY the same problem as me. Or MacWorld.com, or Google for that matter. The email I got from SJ is therefore good news, indeed!

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

eye.surgeon said:
Did you happen to mention to SJ that you had jailbroken your phone? :rolleyes: Seems kind of ballsy to jailbreak and then demand compensation for your problems.

Excuse me, but who said anything about jailbreaking???

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Damn. It's great that he responds to emails but I wish people would stop abusing that fact.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

wronski said:
Damn. It's great that he responds to emails but I wish people would stop abusing that fact.

You're right. But after wasting an amount of time equivalent to three weeks of full-time work performing restores on my shiny new iPhone 3G, I had finally had enough and emailed him directly. Frankly, I'll do whatever it takes at this point.

customerservice

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008

You're right. But after wasting an amount of time equivalent to three weeks of full-time work performing restores on my shiny new iPhone 3G, I had finally had enough and emailed him directly. Frankly, I'll do whatever it takes at this point.
you could return or sell the phone if it isnt meeting your lofty expectations

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

I wish people would quit replying with this stupid-*** shallow response. People are going to be dissatisfied with a product in one way or another. Just because they say they don't like something doesn't mean they should just drop it and move on. There's obviously fixes on the way. And if somebody's having more trouble than the majority, they have a reason to complain. Where else are they supposed to go for support??

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
My "lofty expectations?" So, in your opinion, to be upset after having had to restore 40 times in one month is unreasonable and is setting the bar too high for the iPhone? You really believe that? I mean, there are plenty of Apple apologists on the boards here, but you've just taken the prize, I think!! Either you're really not that bright (which is quite possibly not even your own fault) or you're just a troll.

Oh and BTW - I'm locked into a 26 month contract; if I cancel my service now, I'll have to pay an ETF-like fee of more than $800. Also, there is no provision in this country for returning merchandise from most retailers, including the carrier's shop where I purchased my iPhone. Thanks anyway.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
So you've restored your iPhone more than once a day since release?

Dude, you need to get a new one if it's that bad. There is obviously something wrong with the phone.

I'm glad SJ replied to your emails and you got an answer that appeases you slightly, and that your iPhone woes cease soon!

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

sparkyms said:
So you've restored your iPhone more than once a day since release?

Dude, you need to get a new one if it's that bad. There is obviously something wrong with the phone.

I'm glad SJ replied to your emails and you got an answer that appeases you slightly, and that your iPhone woes cease soon!

Actually, I've already had my iPhone replaced once - it didn't help. Those 40 restores are spread out among three devices (2 iPhone 3Gs and an iPod touch, which prior to 2.0 worked perfectly) ...

Anyway, it's nice to know Apple is aware of this (somewhat widespread) issue and will fix it soon!

alexboy45

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
My "lofty expectations?" So, in your opinion, to be upset after having had to restore 40 times in one month is unreasonable and is setting the bar too high for the iPhone? You really believe that? I mean, there are plenty of Apple apologists on the boards here, but you've just taken the prize, I think!! Either you're really not that bright (which is quite possibly not even your own fault) or you're just a troll.

Oh and BTW - I'm locked into a 26 month contract; if I cancel my service now, I'll have to pay an ETF-like fee of more than $800. Also, there is no provision in this country for returning merchandise from most retailers, including the carrier's shop where I purchased my iPhone. Thanks anyway.

just to make you feel better i have never had to restore my iPhone. and i am in an 18 month contract. If i had to restore that many times i would be making a trip to apple

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
I have both a Touch and a 3G iPhone and have never had to do a restore on either. What exactly are the problems that are causing you to continuely restore both devices?

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Guess i've been over lucky then .... i haven't had need to restore ipod touch ONCE since i went to 2.0 and then 2.0.1

iPhone has only been necessary to restore once ... but i have done it twice to see if it changed anything if i didn't use a backup.... i have 4 pages of apps which i use regularly and use all the phone functions ....

Still seems like 40 over 3 devices is 13 restores / device ... which still averages out to a restore every 2 to 3 days which does seem seriously excessive

What has prompted the restores? Apple logo stuck? If you say you already swapped one of the iPhones and still all have this level of required restores i would be tempted to start looking elsewhere for a problem or isolate it to a particular app that might be extra buggy ... the phone in general isn't THAT bad

I recommend simple diagnostics ... restore ipod for example, leave it clean for a little while see if its ok ... then start installing apps 2 or 3 at a time and see how it goes .... you might find that its not all apples fault ... if the devices are still require restores while vanilla then i might suggest its a hardware fault OR its a corrupted restore file ... clear them all out and redownload?

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
Wow, Steve actually does use an iPhone?! And there was me thinking that nobody in Apple would put up with all these endless crashes, lags, hour-long backups, five hours of battery life and god-awful 3G reception...

Maybe we will get an update soon if they're having to put up with half the crap I am.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
I wonder if the problems are with peoples computers rather than the iPhone. I just can figure out how peoples experiences could be do vastly different unless it is a hardware issue or an issue stemming from something that the users don't have in common, with the sync'ing computer being the obvious choice. Backups on mine take 2 min.

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
of course

yeah me and steve were at a beatles concert yesterday and we were actually comparing iphone apps... by the way he has the white one for private and the black one for business use...

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, Steve actually does use an iPhone?! And there was me thinking that nobody in Apple would put up with all these endless crashes, lags, hour-long backups and god-awful 3G reception...

Maybe we will get an update soon if they're having to put up with half the crap I am.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. The whole reason I started this thread was because I found it odd that he was using 2.0.1 on his phone - with as many problems as some people are having, he must be either really lucky or the 2.1 firmware must be even worse (is that even possible?) ... ;)

Anyway, to those of you offering advice for me - thanks, I appreciate it. But believe me, I've tried everything. It's not a hardware issue (I know this for a fact) but rather, buggy software. So it was nice to hear from SJ himself that issue will be fixed soon!

I wonder if the problems are with peoples computers rather than the iPhone. I just can figure out how peoples experiences could be do vastly different unless it is a hardware issue or an issue stemming from something that the users don't have in common, with the sync'ing computer being the obvious choice. Backups on mine take 2 min.
Well, the problem seems to affect Windows users as much as Mac users - the one thing most have in common is that we have a large number of apps installed. If I have no apps installed, backups take about 30 seconds. The more apps I add, the longer they become - with 50 installed, they take about an hour, hour and a half - which in my opinion is unacceptable. But it's easy enough to disable backups - my problem is that the phone locks up (just Google 'apple logo of death') and usually has to be restored, which is a three-four hour process, due to the excruciatingly slow app installation process.

Whatever. I'm glad to see they're aware of the problem and will fix it soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.