Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
Ok guys so here's the issue. I have two Apple 5870s on hand, a modular power supply on order as well as a crossfire bridge connector. I am taking it upon myself to rearrange the mac pro with two 5870s and test whether or not crossfire will work under Windows 7.

Last year matthew.russo reported that he was able to achieve crossfire with two Apple 4870s with a modular power supply.

After reading this post in another thread :
I just received my optical drive bay modular PSU (the $20 one that NewEgg is selling). I have a 2010 Mac Pro and, unfortunately, Apple engineered the system so precisely there is not enough room to route the cables for the PSU from the optical bay to the expansion card bay. I only see 3 options to get this to work in a 2010 Mac Pro:
Purchase thinner cables for the OD PSU as the ones provided are too thick to fit into the small space where the existing SATA cables are routed out of the optical bay. Even with very thin cables I think you would have to do a major disassembly of the case because the cable-ends (i.e. the 6-pin plugs) are too big to squeeze through the small opening. I spent a couple of hours trying to disassemble the media bay spacer (the one between the optical bay/PSU zone and the expansion bay) with little success. This thing is built like a tank and it would be a significant undertaking to pull this case apart.
Drill a hole to make more space. This is probably a non-starter as it would require precise drilling and could permanently damage your case if done incorrectly. It would also be a major time investment as you would need to disassemble most of the case to get access to a good area to drill.
Keep the PSU external and route the power cables through the back of the case. I really don't like this as it would be UGLY. You'd probably also want to use a regular PSU for this because, with the optical bay PSU, you have to plug in a 4-pin Molex connector (using an adapter to an existing SATA power connector) to enable it to switch on so you would need to do a long cable run to the optical drive bay.

Taken from this thread: 5870 Crossfire success stories

I opened my system and what was said was true. The space to route the cables to the ODD is too small....much smaller than on the 2006-2008 systems. So after analysing all possible situations, the only viable method to still attempt crossfire is a complete disassembly of the system including logic board removal. Trust me ... it is. I've spent seven hours so far and by now I know every nook and cranny of the 2009 Mac Pro. So I've removed all of the following:
- ODD
- Power supply
- Video card
- CPU/RAM board
- Hard drives
- small fan in front of graphics cards

**** The only stupid thing that doesnt want to come out is the bottom assembly which contains the two lower fans (front and rear). I removed the six screws but it just ain't coming out.... and I know there is a way cuz Apple technicians have to remove it in order to install/replace logic boards. It seems the fans are jamming the part from being taken out. ****

Please I need your collaboration in order to get this last piece taken out and then we are set on testing crossfire.

After seven hours of precision disassembly and analyzing, I must say the Mac Pro has a very tight fit and by noo means is it a highly expandable gaming rig.... but nonetheless for the pride of us Mac Pro users this experiment needs to be done and I need your help to be able to do so. So once again all experienced mac users please help :(

UPDATE: CASE IS FULLY DISASSEMBLED :)

UPDATE 2: PCI POWER CABLES ROUTED PROPERLY. LOGIC BOARD REINSTALLED. RAM CAGE AWAITING REINSTALL ( HAVING SOME TROUBLE ) ... SHOULD BE FINISHED BY TONIGHT :)

UPDATE 3: CASE IS FULLY ASSEMBLED AND 5870s are running fine.... Still awaiting arrival of CF bridge :)

[B]UPDATE 4: CROSSFIRE WORKS UNDER WINDOWS SEVEN, HOWEVER BOOTCAMP DRIVERS MUST NOT BE INSTALLED OTHERWISE SYSTEM CRASHES. WHAT A KILLER GAMING RIG THE MAC PRO IS :D[/B]

Attachments

• 5870s.jpg
    5870s.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

neckarb

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Ok guys so here's the issue. I have two Apple 5870s on hand, a modular power supply on order as well as a crossfire bridge connector. I am taking it upon myself to rearrange the mac pro with two 5870s and test whether or not crossfire will work under Windows 7.

Last year matthew.russo reported that he was able to achieve crossfire with two Apple 4870s with a modular power supply.

After reading this post in another thread :

Taken from this thread: 5870 Crossfire success stories

I opened my system and what was said was true. The space to route the cables to the ODD is too small....much smaller than on the 2006-2008 systems. So after analysing all possible situations, the only viable method to still attempt crossfire is a complete disassembly of the system including logic board removal. Trust me ... it is. I've spent seven hours so far and by now I know every nook and cranny of the 2009 Mac Pro. So I've removed all of the following:
- ODD
- Power supply
- Video card
- CPU/RAM board
- Hard drives
- small fan in front of graphics cards

**** The only stupid thing that doesnt want to come out is the bottom assembly which contains the two lower fans (front and rear). I removed the six screws but it just ain't coming out.... and I know there is a way cuz Apple technicians have to remove it in order to install/replace logic boards. It seems the fans are jamming the part from being taken out. ****

Please I need your collaboration in order to get this last piece taken out and then we are set on testing crossfire.

After seven hours of precision disassembly and analyzing, I must say the Mac Pro has a very tight fit and by noo means is it a highly expandable gaming rig.... but nonetheless for the pride of us Mac Pro users this experiment needs to be done and I need your help to be able to do so. So once again all experienced mac users please help :(

When I did it, I didn't bother disassembling, in order to run the cables you'll find it a lot easier if you just. Do what I did, I removed the inner frame on the door to the case, cut a small section out of it, where the cables come out from the ODD drive bay, then routed the cables down outside the HDD sleds, this way no permenant damage to the case other than a very small, not noticeable cut in the inside of the door frame. the door closes, easy to do, no problem

cutterman

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I cut away the front, lower part of the ODD cage in order to route a breakout cable to a SSD array in the 2nd OD bay. I decided it was better to mod this than the case itself. The cage still fits securely.

neckarb

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I cut away the front, lower part of the ODD cage in order to route a breakout cable to a SSD array in the 2nd OD bay. I decided it was better to mod this than the case itself. The cage still fits securely.

Yeah that would make sense too, surely that would take quite a lot of disassembly :)

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
Do you have the service manual for the 2009 machine? It explains how to rip it apart.

I have the standard Apple documentation that came with the system but not the technician's take apart guide which is what I would need. I would really appreciate if someone could provide me with where to get it. All I have found is torrent sites which never lead me to the file :(

fairbanx

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Germany
I have the standard Apple documentation that came with the system but not the technician's take apart guide which is what I would need. I would really appreciate if someone could provide me with where to get it. All I have found is torrent sites which never lead me to the file :(

look in your inbox :)

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
I am also trying to do the same thing with the 2010 Mac Pro. If someone could PM me the service manual for that I would be much appreciative.

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
Thanks a bunch fairbanx for the mac pro disassembly guide. My Mac Pro is now bare, it has been fully disassembled. I should be receiving the modular power supply either today or monday. So an answer should come within the next few days. I've found a way to pass cables to the cards as well without having to cut the enclosure.

Crw and any other users who are planning to do so.... You will have to fully remove your logic board first. Once that is done you will see a cable that powers the fan in between the ODD compartment and the Power supply. This cable passes through a hole which should be large enough to house two 6 pin power connectors. So voila!!! :D This is looking good .... Black Ops with 5870s in crossfire on the mac pro is not too far away.

When I am fully done I will post a guide on how to install two 5870s properly with the modular power supply.

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Once that is done you will see a cable that powers the fan in between the ODD compartment and the Power supply. This cable passes through a hole which should be large enough to house two 6 pin power connectors.

Is that hole also big enough for the power cable to the PSU, in addition to the two 6-pin power connectors. I was planning on routing the power cable out the back of the computer through an expansion slot.

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
Please don't tell me that Black Ops isn't the reason for your crossfire?! :eek:
Even a single 5870 can handle that game more than well.

Lmaoo :D no it's not ... There's Crysis Warhead, Age of Empires: Total War, Flight Simulator X which ran terribly on the 4870, Far Cry 2, etc.... Plus keep in mind I will be playing with Eyefinity tech since I am running dual 30" ACDs. :D

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
Is that hole also big enough for the power cable to the PSU, in addition to the two 6-pin power connectors. I was planning on routing the power cable out the back of the computer through an expansion slot.

Well as for the power cable I'm still planning on routing that out of the expansion slots ... don't t hink it will fit but I dont have the mod. PS yet so bope :eek:

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Well as for the power cable I'm still planning on routing that out of the expansion slots ... don't t hink it will fit but I dont have the mod. PS yet so bope :eek:

I'm hoping I can squeeze it through too. It is pretty thick though. I might end up making a custom cable for this.

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
I received my modular power supply yesterday. Installed cables that came with the ps, although it must be said that i had to alter them a bit for them to fit. I already reinstalled the logic board. The ram cage is in the process of being reinstalled but am having some difficulty with it though. I should be done by tonight. :D:D:D

Windows 7 install should happen on thursday. I still haven't received my crossfire bridge.

Note: I will post pics of the setup when I am done.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I'd be interested to see the pic's when this is complete.

The only mod I did to my 09 Model was drilling a hole in the back to install a better Bluetooth antenna.

neckarb

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I would still recommend people use my method, otherwise if you ever decide to remove the card/ replace the PSU/ remove the PSU and replace with an optical drive you have to COMPLETELY disassemble the computer, my method takes 10 minutes and no effort

macprocut.png

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
I would still recommend people use my method, otherwise if you ever decide to remove the card/ replace the PSU/ remove the PSU and replace with an optical drive you have to COMPLETELY disassemble the computer, my method takes 10 minutes and no effort

macprocut.png

necakrb, thanks for the advice. I've decided to opt for your method. I will cut that part of the access panel. My whole case is now reassembled. However, the only issue I am having now is that no matter what is connected to the SATA ports on the ODD, the computer will not boot. With ODD caddy removed the computer will boot with one 5870. I swapped both to make sure both work and they do. I tried connecting a simple dvd drive with a SATA connector and the system immediately shut down. Any ideas as to why this may be happening???

neckarb

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
necakrb, thanks for the advice. I've decided to opt for your method. I will cut that part of the access panel. My whole case is now reassembled. However, the only issue I am having now is that no matter what is connected to the SATA ports on the ODD, the computer will not boot. With ODD caddy removed the computer will boot with one 5870. I swapped both to make sure both work and they do. I tried connecting a simple dvd drive with a SATA connector and the system immediately shut down. Any ideas as to why this may be happening???

I have literally no idea sorry, I've got a 2006 Mac Pro, and so the ODD drives are connected via IDE :( sorry for being useless.

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
I have literally no idea sorry, I've got a 2006 Mac Pro, and so the ODD drives are connected via IDE :( sorry for being useless.

No problem neckarb I got it fixed seems the power connector for the odd was badly connected on the logic board. Now computer boots up with both 5870s :) the only thing I would like to know is how you removed the bulky front cover from the modular power supply cuz it seems its not able to fully fit back into the odd compartment which will cause a problem as the top bluray drive won't be able to eject properly. Thanks for your help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.