Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Volume production of Apple's forthcoming 6.1-inch "iPhone 12" models will start in July-August ahead of the rest of the company's flagship iPhone lineup this year, according to a new report by DigiTimes.

fouriphones2020.jpg

Apple is widely rumored to be launching four new ‌iPhone‌ models in the usual September or October timeframe, although supply constraints and delays in production ramp-up could cause a staggered launch compared to previous years.

Of the four new models coming this year, rumors suggest that Samsung will supply the displays for three models: the 5.4-inch entry-level ‌iPhone 12‌, and the 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch "‌iPhone 12‌ Pro" models. The fourth new model, a 6.1-inch ‌iPhone 12‌ with similar specs to the entry-level model, is where BOE and LG are said to be supplying displays.

The reason given for the earlier production timeline for the two 6.1-nch models is that they will use touch modules that need to be outsourced from other supply chain partners, whereas the 5.4-inch and 6.7-inch OLED panels provided by Samsung will come with the panel maker's Y-OCTA Touch technology. Samsung's Y-OCTA flexible display tech has the touch sensor placed directly on the OLED panel without the need for a separate touch layer.

Today's report chimes with display analyst Ross Young's report last month detailing the resolutions and features of Apple's upcoming All-OLED iPhone lineup. That report also claimed that panel production on components for the new 2020 iPhones will begin at the end of July, although it didn't say anything about specific models going into production ahead of the rest.

Article Link: 6.1-inch 'iPhone 12' Production to Begin in July Ahead of Other 2020 Models

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I’m confused... Why wouldn’t the 6.1 inch Pro model feature a Y-OCTA panel? Seems a bit odd if the 5.4 model gets is along with the Max version.
It could be like the iPhone XR. A small model, a large model, and the large model in a smaller case, with reduced screen quality, camera etc. for significantly less money.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
How certain is it that the phone will be the 12 rather than iPhone 11S?.

Apple having skipped the 8S, 9, 9S etc. is a huge blunder, IMO. Eventually the numbers scheme will get so large that it will seem ridiculous.

All these rumored updates sound more like an S year than anything else.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Apple having skipped the 8S, 9, 9S etc. is a huge blunder, IMO. Eventually the numbers scheme will get so large that it will seem ridiculous.

Because it’s a new design. Rumours so far certainly make it far better than an S year

New design
Pro motion (hopefully)
Better camera for stills
Better zoom
10 bit colour
5G

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Because it’s a new design. Rumours so far certainly make it far better than an S year

New design
Pro motion (hopefully)
Better camera for stills
Better zoom
10 bit colour
5G

Oh wow, I hadn’t read anything on a new design. All I really care for is a smaller notch, better refresh rate and better battery without added weight.

Reactions: SisterFister

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Oh wow, I hadn’t read anything on a new design. All I really care for is a smaller notch, better refresh rate and better battery without added weight.

Forgot to add smaller notch and bigger batteries which will be needed for 5G and pro motion

And yes pro motion is my number 1 want

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

Changing body style has always been a “full number” upgrade. In this case we are changing the casing and changing display sizes across the board in addition to having an entirely new size.

You are right on the numbers getting stupid, but I think in a year or two the iPhone will just become “iPhone” “iPhone Pro” “iPhone Max” etc. with a model year/generation, like the iPad lines. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they did that this year - “iPhone”, ”iPhone Max”, “iPhone Pro”, “iPhone Pro Max” (12th generation.)

macfan90

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2014
Any chance Apple can slim the bezels down; something like the Motorola Edge? It’s annoying how Apple thinks and markets their products as edge to edge screen when its not. iPad Pro also has thick bezels.

jackietreeh0rn

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2018
Changing body style has always been a “full number” upgrade. In this case we are changing the casing and changing display sizes across the board in addition to having an entirely new size.

You are right on the numbers getting stupid, but I think in a year or two the iPhone will just become “iPhone” “iPhone Pro” “iPhone Max” etc. with a model year/generation, like the iPad lines. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they did that this year - “iPhone”, ”iPhone Max”, “iPhone Pro”, “iPhone Pro Max” (12th generation.)
The naming may get pretty confusing for laypersons, given Apple would continue selling older iPhones too.

Reactions: xpxp2002

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008

Also I'm guessing Apple doesn't want to release "iPhone 13" because that is considered an unlucky number. Many airlines don't have seat row 13 on their planes etc.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

You buy products simply based solely on whether the name is significantly different than an earlier version you bought?
[automerge]1591017925[/automerge]
No thanks. Lightning is fine until ports are done away with.

Not fine for those of us who own iPads with USB-C
[automerge]1591017956[/automerge]
Sorry but you won‘t see USB C on an iphone.

Thanks for letting us know, Mr. Cook, and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: SisterFister
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.