6 Plus - Case or Not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndyGarton, Sep 19, 2014.

1. AndyGarton macrumors member

I have an Apple leather case for my 6+, but I find myself taking it on and off, unable to decide what's best. I've always preferred my phones "naked", but with the 6+ a case hides the protruding camera (good when using the phone on a flat surface), and feels quite a bit less slippy.

On the other hand the case hinders swiping from the bezel a little (especially with those nice curved screen edges), as well as adding to the depth and weight of course.

So ... what do you think?

2. AndyGarton thread starter macrumors member

Three days later, and naked it is :) I just need to be careful not to drop it!

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

no case on my 6. however I do have a thin, snap on case from monoprice that I'll use when I go to the gym. pretty cool for $5 and free shipping.

4. caesarp macrumors 6502a

The whole case thing is left over from antenna gate, when Apple provided those side case things for free to help with the antenna problem. Generally, though I've never understood the need for or purpose of cases, unless you work outside in construction or something, or otherwise need some rugged protection due to your daily use. But if you have a typical office job or inside job, I fail to see the need.

5. Barna Biro, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Considered looking for another brand / style? The case doesn't have to be only about "protection"...
    For example: Vaja or Noreve

6. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

As somebody who has a couple of toddlers running around I can appreciate the protection a case can offer. Plus no matter how careful you are accidents can happen. Also some like to keep their phones in as mint condition as possible for resale.

Personally I don't do cases either. I buy AppleCare+ for my phone and let that be my protection.

7. toekneeg macrumors member

Pretty active guy and I work outside once in a while. I'd love to go naked but just don't want to get her scratched up. I use the Spigen case with the clear back. Honestly one of the best minimalist cases out there. I can still see the back of the phone but its protected.

If all I did was office work, I'd go naked.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I have always bought a case early on in the life of my "new devices" but usually end up with no case

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

You guys are nuts. I never used a case on an iPhone before and did't want to on the 6 Plus either. But it only took me one day to realize that just wasn't going to work. It's like the 6 Plus is just trying to jump out of your hands at all times, especially if you need to rotate it back and forth or do photography with it.

I got the Apple leather case and it is good for an everyday case, makes it a lot easier to handle, doesn't add much bulk to the form, looks and feels nice, and makes the camera lens flush. But I'm considering some kind of super grippy case for when I want to take it out shooting photos or video all day.

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I would never use an Otterbox or anything like that (I tried a Defender once; had it for about 24 hours before I returned it); they're just too bulky and make the phone harder to use. I do like to have a slim case on it though for those times it slips out of a khaki pants pocket onto the floor or even just for when I'm setting it on the desk. The aluminum body on these phones is so easy to scratch; I don't need my phone to look brand new forever, but I also don't want to expose it to every piece of dirt and debris that's floating around when it can be avoided.

11. tonnyvd macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. I bought the apple leather case but I just love the my 6 plus naked so much more. On my previous iPhones I've only used the case on vacations mainly. I think I will do the same with the plus. I hope I don't regret that decision.

12. SoloStyle macrumors regular

The iPhone 6 Plus is the first iPhone I actually want to put a case on, as I feel adding some bulk will help it feel more durable and stable in your hands. As others have said, it's so large and so thin, it's almost awkward to hold and maneuver around without feeling like you're going to drop it.

13. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Apart from raising the protruding camera lens off the ground, I also find that the case improves grip significantly. The bare aluminium simply feels too slippery for such a large but light device. I have the Apple leather case on all the time now.

14. cbarnes3121 macrumors newbie

i used a on my 5s but with my 6 plus i don't have a case yet cuz the stores here don't have any cases yet. i got the gold model so i wanna get a clear case so i won't drop that big sexy thang

15. taedouni macrumors 65816

I normally go naked but the leather case for the 6+ is amazing. Midnight blue for silver, olive brown for gold.

16. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Have you tried out the midnight blue on the gold? I would imagine it looks pretty nice.

17. ominx macrumors 6502

I hate cases. But until I get accostumed to the size of the plus, I will use the cheap ebay case I have. While cases generally protect from damage due to drops, they tend to cause scratches and pitting on the alluminim casing when dirt, sand, etc finds its way in. I'm careful with my devices, so in a week or two when the adjustment period is over, the case is going in the junk drawer.

18. taedouni macrumors 65816

I'm still waiting on the blue case. I got it for free since there was a delay with my silver iPhone 6+. That delay caused me to purchase the 6+ Gold (online order in store pickup 2am Saturday). I'm sure that my wife is happy that my order was delayed because now she's getting a 6+ lol. The silver 6+ arrives today, the case will probably arrive Thursday. I'll update you on how it looks.

19. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Please do! Thanks!

20. JeepGC macrumors regular

Case for sure. I went with the Pelican Voyager(?) purchased from AT&T.

21. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

It's this simple. If your desire is to needlessly risk smashing your screen or producing damage to the casing, continue to go without a case. If you desire to minimize or avoid such trifles, simply invest in a case. It's that simple.

22. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Case (blue leather from Apple).

-keep pristine for eventual re-sale
    -**** happens

23. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Took mine out of the leather apple case last night and an hour later pulled it out of my pocket and slipped out of my hands onto tile floor. Results being this.

[​IMG]

24. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I think a case would be more necessary but what about screen protector? Given the special nature of rounded edges.

25. shaunmed macrumors regular