6 Plus is the most unrefined new iPhone I have ever used

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by utahman130, Oct 3, 2014.

1. utahman130, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

When I scroll, say in the optimized for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Tweetbot, or in the App Store, instead of the smooth scrolling everyone is used to and loves about iOS and iPhone, it stutters and jerks.

My brother has an s5, and it performs better than this, as does my iPhone 5. I have restored through iTunes and set up as a new phone to no avail. My uncles 6 is butter, and I wish that this issue had been mentioned in reviews before I purchased the phone. If it acts like this brand new, it will be horrendous in a year or two.

Just general unrefinement everywhere, feels like I'm running a beta on my phone.

My question is, is the scrolling lag and choppiness due to the scaling for the 6 Plus, or could it be fixed in an iOS update?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You're complaining about 3rd party software, its up to the developer to fix the app, not Apple.

3. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Yes and no, depending on what's scrolling, where the data is from, and how custom the scrolling on any particular app is.

Scrolling for some apps, uses a built in Apple provided API that developer's specify how to use. If even Apple's apps (like the app store) are stuttering, it could be that individual app, or the way apple has implemented scaling and it's effect on scrolling on the 6+.

Either way I think your issues will be resolved via software updates from Apple & developers.

4. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Nope, he said it happens while scrolling the app store too

5. Zinthar macrumors 6502

I agree that there's some UI lag in certain instances with the 6 Plus (especially compared against the regular 6), but it's still MUCH faster than my iPhone 5.

6. groggy2333 macrumors regular

I agree in some way. The 6 plus is an evolution at best, definitely not a revolution. Apple is playing catch-up. Look at the competitors. This upgrade should've been done a LONG time ago. Having said that, I like Apple and I'm used to their OS etc. which is what is why this was a good upgrade for me, mostly size which is what I wanted. Yes, Apple should've done better.

7. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Its merely software, iOS 8.1 Is right around the corner to fix glitches and improve software, and also apps on the App store by the day are being recompiled and updated to iOS 8, And support for the new Apple A8 processors and also the new screens, which will improve performance and stability

8. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

9. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Lmao

----------

I hope it's software as well.

Gave my gf my iPhone 6. I know that lags and glitches too and is buggy but the 6 plus more-so.

It has the weirdest bugs. Like they literally just started making it 6 months before announcement

10. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

My 128gb 6+ doesn't have any problems scrolling. It did when I set it to zoomed, but in standard the app store is totally smooth.

Then again so was playing Mega Man on my 1985 NES.

Why is anyone having issues scrolling on state of the art computers 30 years later? It seems like this particular feat would be no problem... even for a tiny pocket computer pushing lots of pixels.

11. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

All these threads have really started pushing me away from the 6+. Not sure I want to purchase one and just cross my fingers that apple will fix this lag you all keep talking about.

12. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I have both a 6 and 6+ and I am not seeing any lag on my +. And 8.1 seems to have cleaned up a bunch of bugs present in 8.0.2.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No lag on mine either. They must be holding it wrong.

14. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Yeah some UI lag in some 3rd party apps, it should be fixed within future updates.

15. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Zero lag on my Plus scrolling in the App Store.

16. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

You're probably technically correct, but to me it's pretty darn close to a revolution. I have had every generation of the iPhone since the original came out and I enjoy the Plus more than any model since my first. The fantastic screen, amazing battery life and incredible camera make the experience revolutionary for me personally.

:apple:

17. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

The only app that stutters when scrolling is Facebook and it's because of the app not the hardware. Apple store app doesn't scroll whatsoever. Thread is worthless as it contains a lot of misinformation. Show a video of the scroll stutter or just close the thread.

18. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I have a 6 Plus and I have yet to see one stutter or jerk. Its been the same, smooth iPhone experience I've had with every previous version.

19. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

I experienced the jittery scrolling on my iPhone 5 after the iOS 7 release. I still see it on my iPhone 6 running iOS 8. So, it's a software problem, not a hardware one. Inexcusable that they haven't fixed it yet.

I get a lot of app crashing on my iPhone 6, which I also attribute to software bugs. I anticipate that they'll all get sorted out eventually.

So far, none of this has been quite annoying enough to make me want to switch devices/platforms, but it is frustrating and demonstrates that Apple's testing/quality standards aren't what they used to be.

Edit: For those of you who don't ever see stuttering when scrolling, a place where I can get it to happen frequently (and I just tried it and got it to happen almost immediately) is in the app store in the 'Updates' section. There's a long list of my apps with updates (or apps I recently updated) and if I scroll up/down, I can frequently get a stuttering effect. Again, I first experienced this when I upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS7, and my iPhone 6 w/iOS8 still does it.

20. cbarnes3121 macrumors newbie

why buy and invest in a something if u don't believe in it? if all u gonna do is complain about everything related to the phone time for a switch

21. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Same here.
    Smh to OP

----------

Same here.

----------

Same here. No lag.

----------

How come there are some people BASHING the 6 Plus for lag if the majority says there is no lag or stutter whatsoever? I smell scamsung ...

22. highlightshadow macrumors regular

I found a couple apps which were choppy on my 6 before and now 'optimised for 6 display' are definitely much more smooth

One thing that iOS8 has done for me is made me completely rejecting the idea of ever buying another iPhone on launch day

I'm sick to death of the the keyboard .... i'm using swiftkey and it either:
    1. Doesn't show up in an app / messages / spotlight at all
    2. Shows up but doesn't accept input
    3. Accepts input but only tap not 'flow'
    4. Accepts input in any means but doesn't auto-correct
    5. Reverts to default keyboard (despite being only keyboard in the settings)

Not to mention many app crashes. Multiple app-updates on the same day
    iOS8 is so unfinished its unbelievable ... its ruining the 'new phone' fun usually get from a new iPhone

Was so looking forward to 8's featureset but it needed another 2 months of development at least .... cannot wait for 8.1 to surface ... needs a bug-fix list as long as arm.

23. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Same here. I've noticed some glitches in the screen rotation, especially with photos, but other than that it's been fine.

Also have to believe that as iOS 8 and apps continue to be refined this stuff will go away.

24. stuffradio macrumors 65816

There is no lag in the app store for me. You must be an Android troll. :D

25. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Wouldn't be the first time.